Realistically, this phone will be "as designed" by March 2009

By that time, apple will be on the cusp of releasing something new and revolutinary, the pre will be out, and likely even something else on verizon

its been 3 months since this phone came out..3 months..thats 1/4 of a year and the way tech is, thats a long time!

just my 2 cents...
    01-18-09 06:02 PM
    thats why i dont expect RIM to spend as much time fixing this thign as some people think they will.

i think we will see most of the bugs fixed, but i think peoples dreams of new features and new UI improvements are not likely.

I think the biggest UI improvement we will see on this device is something like the "transparent camera bar" in .86.

they are going to save new UI and fancyness for their next device.

The only way we could get lucky is if they do a storm v2 with a slider or something and they let storm v1 get the firmware from storm v2.
    01-18-09 06:07 PM
    That's going to be the case with any phone but in regards to the Storm basically what you see now is what your going to get.

Sure they will flow some updates out but it won't be anything significant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 06:13 PM
    That's going to be the case with any phone but in regards to the Storm basically what you see now is what your going to get.

Sure they will flow some updates out but it won't be anything significant.

yeah unfortunately, i agree.

for me it doesnt matter. verizon is my carrier and the storm is the only phone i can deal with on verizon.

i dont like the curve and the screen is too small on the pearl. WE is too old.

omnia, saga, htc touch pro are your only other options.....

storm bests them IMO.

so unless verizon gets Palm PRE, Iphone, Android Phones, HTC Touch HD or something in that league, i will be happy with my storm. if they get one of these phones, i will re-evaluate based on firmwares at the time,
    01-18-09 06:16 PM
    Niagra will be coming to Verizon in May. Will be a great BB. Did you check it out?

I'm with you on the Pre as well. That thing looks to be a pretty sweet device.

01-18-09 06:20 PM
    yea agree with everything said here but in other threads, all i hear are storm fanboys saying "just wait till the storm can do ____"

and i dont believe it ever will with this version

i believe that this will be RIMs last attempt at a touch screen (only) advice..they are good at the traditional BB devices (bold, niagara, etc)

it's like a great pizza restaurant...would you want them making chinese food if they were known for their pizza?
    01-18-09 06:26 PM
    Niagra will be coming to Verizon in May. Will be a great BB. Did you check it out?

I'm with you on the Pre as well. That thing looks to be a pretty sweet device.

is the niagra the CDMA bold or is it the CDMA 8900?

i am most interested in the BOLD/STORM device i think called PLUTO. Basically a bold with big capactive touch screen.

also will this NIAGRA have WIFI? i am one that always says "who needs wifi with verizon 3g in my area" but there are times i want it. i am thinking of getting an ipod touch 2g so i can do stuff with wifi like hq youtube.
    01-18-09 06:52 PM
    Realistically, this phone will be "as designed" by March 2009

By that time, apple will be on the cusp of releasing something new and revolutinary, the pre will be out, and likely even something else on verizon
    first off, if there were any new phones to be released in the first quarter we would've seen it at ces. apple isn't releasing anything in the next quarter or we would've seen it at ces. the pre is the only pending release that might worth taking a closer look at.

by march the storm will be a very stable device and i'm willing to wager most of the issues people mention today will be a thing of the past. the app store will also be ready which should give us some interesting add ons.

other than that i don't get it...what are people looking for in a smart phone that the storm doesn't do? or are you just trying to validate your hesitancy on getting the storm? the bb platform is still one of the best out there...
    01-18-09 07:02 PM
    other than that i don't get it...what are people looking for in a smart phone that the storm doesn't do? or are you just trying to validate your hesitancy on getting the storm? the bb platform is still one of the best out there...
    How about stability and reliability!?!?
    01-18-09 07:07 PM
    first off, if there were any new phones to be released in the first quarter we would've seen it at ces. apple isn't releasing anything in the next quarter or we would've seen it at ces. the pre is the only pending release that might worth taking a closer look at.

by march the storm will be a very stable device and i'm willing to wager most of the issues people mention today will be a thing of the past. the app store will also be ready which should give us some interesting add ons.

It to work...well...people who make the statements you make here are complacent and willing to accept whatever crap that RIM puts out. This isn't a device like the Dare or Instinct...this is a major player in the mobile device game pumping out their touch screen Jesus Phone answer (Please don't say it isn't) and they...to this point have failed miserably.....if they wanted to release the "A blackberry is a blackberry" they would have settled at the Bold. This device was released "revolutionary" and all I have to show for it...is slow and laggy...a browser that doesn't load crackberry.com well so I have to scroll a hundred times to get to any real content and some dust under the "revolution"
    01-18-09 07:15 PM
    Niagra is VZW version of the Bold. Wifi would be nice but I don't see it happening.

Mike I bought the iPod Touch and its great (best media/gaming/inet device less the phone) but my question to you is why do you need it? It seems redundant since you own the Storm.

01-18-09 07:20 PM
    I had a crappy Nokia one color LCD for two years...promised myself I'd never get anything but the best from there on out. At the time I thought it was the xv 6700...not bad but after 2 years I felt like I was carrying a paperback novel in my pocket.

I am pretty sure after 2 more years I'll be first in line for the corneal/cochneal implant...in the meantime I am positive I chose wisely. Fourth phone and I found the Holy Grail (no screen click issues no dust issues no OS lag etc.).

Hopefully all of you eventually find what you are looking for. Until then I guess I will be reading more complaints...lol.

Last edited by icmedia; 01-18-09 at 07:30 PM.
    01-18-09 07:25 PM
    What part of the whole early adopter concept seems to be so difficult for people to grasp? With the trend being that devices are released earlier and earlier, and in ever increasing states of unreadiness, you have a choice to make.

1: Go with a company like RIM, which has a reputation for putting out a pretty steady stream of improvements for its devices, even if none of them are exactly earth shattering or awe inspiring
    2: Take your chances on some other device, never quite knowing if there will be any updates period

The Palm Pre looks good, but it's still to early to tell a lot of things about it. How does it work as a phone, what's the battery life like, are they any nasty bugs that will pop up shortly after launch, is there some method in place for Palm to release updates for the device, how often will it be updated, and once the honeymoon period is over, what will be left?

But that's all in the future, right now there's a very simple solution to your problem. If you are uncomfortable with any aspect of being an early adopter, do not buy any device that hasn't been on the market a minimum of 6 months.
    01-18-09 07:39 PM
    What part of the whole early adopter concept seems to be so difficult for people to grasp? With the trend being that devices are released earlier and earlier, and in ever increasing states of unreadiness, you have a choice to make.

1: Go with a company like RIM, which has a reputation for putting out a pretty steady stream of improvements for its devices, even if none of them are exactly earth shattering or awe inspiring
    2: Take your chances on some other device, never quite knowing if there will be any updates period

The Palm Pre looks good, but it's still to early to tell a lot of things about it. How does it work as a phone, what's the battery life like, are they any nasty bugs that will pop up shortly after launch, is there some method in place for Palm to release updates for the device, how often will it be updated, and once the honeymoon period is over, what will be left?

But that's all in the future, right now there's a very simple solution to your problem. If you are uncomfortable with any aspect of being an early adopter, do not buy any device that hasn't been on the market a minimum of 6 months.

so are you telling us that people that buy new products are "early adopters?"

RIM has a reputation for solid product that are "traditional" blackberries...the traditional ones are built on a SOLID platform with very focused abilities

the storm goes against everything that made RIM great- the storm is unstable, a consumer device (built on a business platform), and oh yea, it has no keyboard

apple on the other hand made their $ on touch screens

RIM had no business getting into this market and if i wasnt stuck on verizon, i have no business getting this phone...im waiting for my iphone on vzw or Niagra
    01-18-09 07:47 PM

I think the concept of the early adopter is absolute garbage. You are giving the companies an excuse to put out garbage, and you make it out to be the consumers fault for wanting it first.
    01-18-09 07:48 PM

This is the kind of **** I am talking about. You can't take a step back and realize that this shouldn't be out if it is not ready? I want to be more harsh here...but I have a feeling that just like much of the complaints...it will just fall on def ears. Quit being such a RIM appologist....you have the phone too and should be upset.
    01-18-09 07:54 PM
    This is the kind of **** I am talking about. You can't take a step back and realize that this shouldn't be out if it is not ready? I want to be more harsh here...but I have a feeling that just like much of the complaints...it will just fall on def ears. Quit being such a RIM appologist....you have the phone too and should be upset.
    Hey Jeep save yourself the aggravation. They don't see it that way and never will. Trust me on this. I'm pretty hated around here for saying the same thing.

The bottom line is they fully accept owning a beta phone and don't care. You can't change their mentality.

01-18-09 08:01 PM
    and one more thing..

i'd be the first in line if the iphone came to verizon tomorrow

you can persecute me for using the bad word "iphone" but verizon is the only reason why (IMO) so many people even own the storm
    01-18-09 08:05 PM
    Quick question for those people that disagree with the concept of 'Early Adopter':

What version of Windows (and what service pack) are you running?
    01-18-09 08:14 PM
    Great point...I also just bought a car...I am locked into that for 3 years....the wheels get delivered next week.
    01-18-09 08:28 PM
    Quick question for those people that disagree with the concept of 'Early Adopter':

What version of Windows (and what service pack) are you running?
    Perfect analogy. When I first got XP Pro my computer randomly rebooted, was generally unresponsive and pretty much didn't work the way other Alienware computers did. Plus lets not mention the keyboard, tower and hardware issues. What a mess that was. My damnn monitor screen popped off right in the middle of playing Americas Army!

I sent it back to Alienware a good 6x before I got a half way decent working one. Still have issues but its nothing a little caulking and railroad ties didn't fix.

01-18-09 08:30 PM
    I put a business card underneath the hard drive and it works perfectly fine now.
    01-18-09 08:32 PM
    Great point...I also just bought a car...I am locked into that for 3 years....the wheels get delivered next week.
    HAHAHAHAHA ok that shiat was funny! I don't laugh out loud in here much but that was classic.

01-18-09 08:32 PM
    How about stability and reliability!?!?

even if i give you that, could you come up with anything else?

i have both now. sure, there's room for improvement. by march those concerns will be a thing of the past.

It to work...well...people who make the statements you make here are complacent and willing to accept whatever crap that RIM puts out. This isn't a device like the Dare or Instinct...this is a major player in the mobile device game pumping out their touch screen Jesus Phone answer (Please don't say it isn't) and they...to this point have failed miserably.....if they wanted to release the "A blackberry is a blackberry" they would have settled at the Bold. This device was released "revolutionary" and all I have to show for it...is slow and laggy...a browser that doesn't load crackberry.com well so I have to scroll a hundred times to get to any real content and some dust under the "revolution"

the storm is advertised as the first touchscreen blackberry and a multimedia powerhouse. for all the work related stuff you need a bb for the storm has it covered. while the bold is a great device, it's clearly not as well endowed in the screen size area which leaves it at a huge disadvantage when talking mm experience. subtract mm from the equation and the bold is the best blackberry you can buy today imo.

other than that i didn't expect a revolutionary touchscreen device from rim. i expected a touchscreen bb and that's exactly what they delivered. although the kick *** mm capabilities of the storm expands rim's consumer base, someone cross shopping the iphone clearly has different needs than the traditional bb user.

now as for your issues, do you actually have a storm and if so have you sought help resolving the problems? i'm sure you're aware this board is a great resource in that regards. i'm running .86 and my browser loads wap.crackberry.com very quickly. as for click and dust i wonder what the actual numbers are of people having an issue like this. this forum is not a good sample. i've had my storm for almost two months and the only issue i can honestly mention is the gap around the screen. it's doesn't really bother me, but if i was nitpicking then that would be it. otherwise i think the os has gotten better with every leak, not much left to be done.
    01-18-09 08:51 PM
    Other than the "tongue in cheek" part, not a bad analogy. I only buy new cars, but I don't purchase a model until it has been out at least a year. Let the bugs get worked out.
    01-18-09 08:52 PM
132 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD