So which of the three is more powerful hardware wise? Let it rip experts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 05:19 AM
    The Bold.

03-29-09 05:22 AM
    Only joking.

The Iphone is a little bit of an unknown quantity in that Apple have never officially released the full spec of the device, however given it's limitations (no multi-tasking etc) and Apple tending to often use cheaper hardware, I would hazard a guess it's at the bottom of this table.

As for the G1 I don't know enough about the hardware to make a choice, however I do know it needs charging about 30 times a day!
    03-29-09 05:24 AM
    Only joking.

The Iphone is a little bit of an unknown quantity in that Apple have never officially released the full spec of the device, however given it's limitations (no multi-tasking etc) and Apple tending to often use cheaper hardware, I would hazard a guess it's at the bottom of this table.

As for the G1 I don't know enough about the hardware to make a choice, however I do know it needs charging about 30 times a day!
    All good valid points, but it still doesn't answer the question

03-29-09 05:29 AM
    The iPhone.
    03-29-09 06:05 AM
    Processor:
    iPhone - 620MHz
    Storm - 528MHz
    G1 - 528MHz

RAM:
    iPhone - 128MB
    Storm - 128MB
    G1 - 192MB

Battery Life:
    iPhone - 5hours talk, 300 standby
    Storm - 6hours talk, 360 standby
    G1 - 6hours talk, 405 Standby (yeah right)

Sources:
    BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Storm Details - BlackBerry Storm Specifications
    Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications
    iPhone processor found: 620MHz ARM CPU
    BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Phone Reviews by Mobile Tech Review
    T-Mobile HTC G1 (Dream) specifications and features - How good is this Google Phone?
    03-29-09 06:30 AM
    Well. You are talking about big Differents .
    Iphone is just to simple, people like it because the OS is very simple.
    G1 the phone it self is bad but, the OS Android is going to be big in a few years
    Storm well, the new OS is very fast and easy to use. If you have a business you wil love it.
    Just depends on wallet, big phones big prices.
    My personal opinion is the Storm. But I love the Android OS.

03-29-09 06:37 AM
    In reference to APPLE using cheap hardware although that "maybe" true for the phone it is NOT true for computers.
    03-29-09 06:40 AM
    Processor:
    iPhone - 620MHz
    Storm - 528MHz
    G1 - 528MHz

RAM:
    iPhone - 128MB
    Storm - 128MB
    G1 - 192MB

Battery Life:

Sources:
    T-Mobile HTC G1 (Dream) specifications and features - How good is this Google Phone?
    Interesting but there is plenty of contention out there about the Iphone's processor and someone thinking it's something isn't really evidence.

A lot of people don't think the processor runs at anywhere near that speed, hence the lack of multi-tasking. Obviously memory is also an issue but CPU cycles are equally important.
    03-29-09 06:43 AM
    Interesting but there is plenty of contention out there about the Iphone's processor and someone thinking it's something isn't really evidence.

A lot of people don't think the processor runs at anywhere near that speed, hence the lack of multi-tasking. Obviously memory is also an issue but CPU cycles are equally important.
    Very true, the processor spec is still kinda up in the air as far as the iPhone, but the lack of multi-tasking isn't necessarily due to a slow processor, it's more software based. And also, not every app will take full advantage of the processor. Just look at some of the apple computers out there, there are very few applications that will take full advantage of thier speed, but that doesn't mean the chip is slower.
    03-29-09 06:48 AM
    In reference to APPLE using cheap hardware although that "maybe" true for the phone it is NOT true for computers.
    Of course. Apple machine rely on bog standard PC components these days and thats for the better.

The only place Apple really get ahead these days is in the Macbook line up. I don't think there is an equal for the Macbooks.
    03-29-09 06:51 AM
    Processor:
    iPhone - 620MHz
    Storm - 528MHz
    G1 - 528MHz

RAM:
    iPhone - 128MB
    Storm - 128MB
    G1 - 192MB

Battery Life:

Sources:
    Elsewhere in this forum it was posted that the iphone cpu was clocked DOWN to 400 mhz or thereabouts due to hardware issues.

03-29-09 06:52 AM
    Very true, the processor spec is still kinda up in the air as far as the iPhone, but the lack of multi-tasking isn't necessarily due to a slow processor, it's more software based. And also, not every app will take full advantage of the processor. Just look at some of the apple computers out there, there are very few applications that will take full advantage of thier speed, but that doesn't mean the chip is slower.
    The reason most developers suspect there is no multi-tasking support is due to the fact the phone is already running at near it's capacity. This is clearly evident when programs like Safari bring the device to halt fairly often.

It's not about the apps making full use of the processor it's about overall ram/cpu usage during normal operations.

Most Iphone developers are expecting a large increase in ram and cpu power for the next revision of the phone so that more applications can run in the background, things like instant messaging applications.
    03-29-09 06:57 AM
    Yes, iPhones processor was underclocked. But not that low, I believe its right around the storms. But does have the potential.
    Elsewhere in this forum it was posted that the iphone cpu was clocked DOWN to 400 mhz or thereabouts due to hardware issues.

03-29-09 07:50 AM
    I remember seeing a site that claimed to have it confirmed that the iPhone processor was running at 412 mhz, but without running requirements, as others have said, it's a moot point.

G1 may have more RAM, but it shares its running spec with the Diamond, which gives 64mb for video acceleration (which might not have worked).

It hinges on the Storm OS requirements, which I don't have. The G1 is over the top, on paper, since Android is supposed to be usable on 200mhz processors - I have doubts on this, however, since the Kogan Android device was shelved over screen resolution issues (Android going for higher def it seems), Android might be changing its plans.

03-29-09 08:28 AM
    The Storm runs on a Qualcomm MSM7600 CPU, which has two cores. The first, an ARM11 runs at ~ 400 MHz; the second, an ARM9 at ~ 274 MHz.
    03-29-09 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD