Heres one for you. The 9530 is designed to work on CDMA. OMG!
    True, that's its primary function, but its also very much advertised as a 'World Phone'. Seeing as how the rest of the world is on GSM frequencies, it would be a major disaster if an advertised world phone didn't work in the rest of the world. OP has a very good point.
    03-24-09 05:51 PM
    What I would have to say is going along with 'sniperet' VZW could seriously care less about ALL your problems if they're selling enough phones and got people actually doing business with them.

If you walk in the store and say "hey, I converted my phone to AT&T network and my EDGE is dropping in and out." what do you think they would say?
    If I were a employee I would kindly say "sir/ma'am I do not know any knowledge about that since it was meant to be for OUR network."

PLUS, the day I was buying and activating my storm someone who actually unlocked it was asking questions and obviously slowed my process down but that's another point. My friend was working and he clearly stated he wasn't told to learn about unlocked storms and he said you might have to go to ATT or in this guys case TMOBILE.

And besides, for you Rodgers clients did you NOT get the 9520 yet? Judge me on my post count it doesn't mean I DON'T know how tp read before I write.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 05:55 PM
    Two things:

First, the Storm might be a world phone working on multiple bands, but its exclusive carrier is VZW and their network is CDMA. Just because you unlocked your phone and have it working on a GSM doesn't mean that's what it was intended for. The quad bands is meant for international roaming. Not unlocking and taking the Storm to T-Mobile.

Second, while RIM obviously creates these builds, it isn't up to them what gets made official. They drop it to the carrier, VZW in this instance, and if they find it works on THEIR network then they make the call whether to make it official. It doesn't matter how the phone operates on another network here in the USA. VZW tests the phone for their network only and they don't hit the cancel button thinking, "T-Mobile users are having issues". I'm sorry, if you want a phone that doesn't have this problem, get a phone that is actually sold by your carrier or use the Storm on Verizon!
    03-24-09 06:00 PM
    EDGE is good on my storm 113 but **** somehow i got a verizon email addy and tmobile service
    03-24-09 06:06 PM
    Okay i'll do that. Thanks!

Do you work for Verizon? If not, stfu please. Hope yours gets dust in it.

Edit : this reply is in regards to "appstateaddict"

Last edited by hashsi99; 03-24-09 at 06:13 PM.
    03-24-09 06:10 PM
    Okay i'll do that. Thanks!

Do you work for Verizon? If not, stfu please. Hope yours gets dust in it.

Edit : this reply is in regards to "appstateaddict"

Learn to use the quote feature, it's not that hard. And as someone said above, would someone complain to Ford if they weren't able to get an alternator working properly in a Chevy truck. Any way you slice it, you took a phone that was meant to run a particular network, took it to another and are complaining about reception problems. Hmm...the fact this phone is meant to run on VZW's network couldn't have anything to do with that, could it?!?! Sure this is a global phone, but RIM and VZW never claimed you get the same reception as you do on VZW's network. You're nitpicking and stirring up a bunch of dust for no good reason. Go grab yourself an 8900 and quit griping.
    03-24-09 06:23 PM
    If RIM doesnt support EDGE, wont that be a breach of express warrenty? I'm 95% sure that it will be because when i went into a verizon store they said that it would be capable of this.
    Just a thought,
    Ben

BTW: Whats the deal with the radio in the .1__ OS's? I have heard a lot about people having problems with the radios. What is the deal with this?

Thanks again,
    Ben
    03-24-09 06:23 PM
    If RIM doesnt support EDGE, wont that be a breach of express warrenty? I'm 95% sure that it will be because when i went into a verizon store they said that it would be capable of this.
    Just a thought,
    Ben

BTW: Whats the deal with the radio in the .1__ OS's? I have heard a lot about people having problems with the radios. What is the deal with this?

Thanks again,
    Ben
    RIM supports EDGE on AT&T phones...ala the Bold. Duuurrrrrrrrrr

And why is that people will flame when someone quotes a VZW rep about an OS release as being unknowing douches yet revered and trusted when quoted as bolded above???
    03-24-09 06:31 PM
    The problem is, people aren't complaining that the VERIZON WIRELESS Storm 9530 isn't working in the rest of the world. They're complaining that it's not working on US GSM networks. It's not meant to do so! Is it possible? Yes. Are users able to have a reliable signal with it? It would seem so since many are doing so.

However, that doesn't change the fact that it's not intended to do so.

Think about it without ranting: Here's a scenario for you.

Player 1: Storm 9530 (CDMA version) owner with unlocked phone and GSM network SIM card installed. Player 1 is located in the US and using a US GSM carrier's SIM card.

Player 2: Verizon Wireless Customer Support, Tech support, or the CEO for that matter.

Player 1 calls Verizon: "Hi. I'm a Storm owner and I'm really upset.

Player 2: "I'm sorry. How can I help you?"

Player 1: "Well, ya see. I bought this Blackberry Storm 9530 from a friend of mine and I just can't seem to get it to maintain a good signal. I'm not happy at all that I can't make and receive calls with this very expensive phone."

Player 2: "I understand. May I please have your phone number so I can verify your account info?"

Player 1: "It's xxx-xxx-xxxx." (alternate answer could be, something very helpful like "why do you need that?" or "I can't remember it right now.", etc).

Player 2: I cannot locate your account information. Are you sure that's correct?"

Player 1: No, no. My account is with (insert GSM carrier name here). This phone is unlocked so I can use my US carrier's GSM SIM card with this phone. My network doesn't offer the Storm, but that's not stopping me. Only, I keep getting crap signal quality. I want it fixed now."

Player 2: "So you're using a US GSM carrier's SIM card on an unlocked CDMA phone in the US. I see. This particular model is designed for use ONLY on the VZW network in the US. It will however, work on GSM networks in several countries overseas with a SIM card. Have you had any problems using it overseas on a GSM network?"

Player 1: "No. I've never even been overseas. I just want to use it here. The signal sucks and I want it fixed."

Player 2: "Let me get right on that for you. I can understand your frustration at being unable to use a phone with a carrier that it was not intended for or released to for use. That will be a top priority for us in our upcoming updates. I can assure you that we want competitor's subscribers to modify our phones for use on their network. All the Verizon Wireless exclusive stuff is just hype. That is what we're here for after all. To keep THEIR customers happy."

Give me a break. Do you really think that Verizon WANTS these phones usable on GSM networks in the US? DUH! The GSM model (9500) is designed to and DOES work in the US on the GSM networks. Just as advertised and planned.

IF you were unable to use the 9530 while traveling overseas on a GSM network, THEN you'd have a legitimate complaint. It's THIS ABILITY that makes the Storm a "World Phone." The fact that it's being unlocked and used on GSM networks in the US, doesn't make ANY OS unstable, unreliable, or unable to be released as an official OS.
    03-24-09 06:38 PM
    The problem is, people aren't complaining that the VERIZON WIRELESS Storm 9530 isn't working in the rest of the world. They're complaining that it's not working on US GSM networks. It's not meant to do so! Is it possible? Yes. Are users able to have a reliable signal with it? It would seem so since many are doing so.

Player 1: Storm 9530 (CDMA version) owner with unlocked phone and GSM network SIM card installed. Player 1 is located in the US and using a US GSM carrier's SIM card.

Player 2: Verizon Wireless Customer Support, Tech support, or the CEO for that matter.

Player 1: "Well, ya see. I bought this Blackberry Storm 9530 from a friend of mine and I just can't seem to get it to maintain a good signal. I'm not happy at all that I can't make and receive calls with this very expensive phone."

Player 2: "I understand. May I please have your phone number so I can verify your account info?"

Player 1: "It's xxx-xxx-xxxx." (alternate answer could be, something very helpful like "why do you need that?" or "I can't remember it right now.", etc).

Player 2: I cannot locate your account information. Are you sure that's correct?"

Player 1: No, no. My account is with (insert GSM carrier name here). This phone is unlocked so I can use my US carrier's GSM SIM card with this phone. My network doesn't offer the Storm, but that's not stopping me. Only, I keep getting crap signal quality. I want it fixed now."

Player 2: "So you're using a US GSM carrier's SIM card on an unlocked CDMA phone in the US. I see. This particular model is designed for use ONLY on the VZW network in the US. It will however, work on GSM networks in several countries overseas with a SIM card. Have you had any problems using it overseas on a GSM network?"

Player 1: "No. I've never even been overseas. I just want to use it here. The signal sucks and I want it fixed."

Player 2: "Let me get right on that for you. I can understand your frustration at being unable to use a phone with a carrier that it was not intended for or released to for use. That will be a top priority for us in our upcoming updates. I can assure you that we want competitor's subscribers to modify our phones for use on their network. All the Verizon Wireless exclusive stuff is just hype. That is what we're here for after all. To keep THEIR customers happy."

Give me a break. Do you really think that Verizon WANTS these phones usable on GSM networks in the US? DUH! The GSM model (9500) is designed to and DOES work in the US on the GSM networks. Just as advertised and planned.

IF you were unable to use the 9530 while traveling overseas on a GSM network, THEN you'd have a legitimate complaint. It's THIS ABILITY that makes the Storm a "World Phone." The fact that it's being unlocked and used on GSM networks in the US, doesn't make ANY OS unstable, unreliable, or unable to be released as an official OS.
    Yeah good point but guess what? I'm not in the US and it doesn't work here either. RIM is not putting out an OS that can work with GSM networks straight and simple. The 9530 is SUPPOSED to work on GSM networks. However i do get your point that VZW doesn't have to give a damn.
    03-24-09 06:44 PM

Brilliant post!!!

Its a shame that most people won't read it, agree with it or even know its there and keep posting and ********...lol
    03-24-09 06:45 PM
    Brilliant post!!!

Its a shame that most people won't read it, agree with it or even know its there and keep posting and ********...lol
    Read one post above yours

03-24-09 06:46 PM
    Read one post above yours

I did and that means nothing to me
    03-24-09 06:52 PM
    Yeah good point but guess what? I'm not in the US and it doesn't work here either. RIM is not putting out an OS that can work with GSM networks straight and simple. The 9530 is SUPPOSED to work on GSM networks. However i do get your point that VZW doesn't have to give a damn.
    "RIM" is not putting the releases out. They're getting leaked by third parties. We are not intended to see them, so we can't complain. I'm sure .75 works perfectly oversees. That's why its the only official update. When one that works oversees good enough is released, then we'll see it as an official.
    03-24-09 06:55 PM
    You are operating a phone in GSM mode when a CDMA network is available, thus the point is still valid.

You cannot expect a phone designed to work in CDMA to work correctly on a GSM network when a CDMA signal is available.
    03-24-09 07:33 PM
    You are operating a phone in GSM mode when a CDMA network is available, thus the point is still valid.

You cannot expect a phone designed to work in CDMA to work correctly on a GSM network when a CDMA signal is available.
    While everyone here has stated some valid and invalid points here is the bottom line. No one knows what the next OS version is going to be yet. It could be .113 or .130 or .14X.... We will all know what it is once it gets released. And not a moment sooner. Once it comes out then we will all get to find out if it will forward pictures that this phone didn't take and how well the radio code works with the GSM systems and any other issues that the OS may bring with it.
    03-24-09 08:14 PM
    Heres one for you. The 9530 is designed to work on CDMA. OMG!
    Except when your not in the USA and then it should be working on GSM. guess what if it isnt working on ATT in the usa it wont work on Vodafone in Europe you dumb****!
    03-24-09 08:32 PM

I'm not in a CDMA network area

03-24-09 08:57 PM
    I've ran .103, .109, and now installed .113 last night have had constant EDGE in the US using a GSM SIM CARD. No hybrid's nothing just installed and worked great so far

03-24-09 10:27 PM
    I'm not in a CDMA network area

According to CDG Digicel Caribbean Barbados offers Island wide CDMA coverage. Of course I will not defend in anyway my knowledge of Barbados geography, but I would presume this would mean you are in a CDMA footprint.
    03-25-09 12:08 PM
    Except when your not in the USA and then it should be working on GSM. guess what if it isnt working on ATT in the usa it wont work on Vodafone in Europe you dumb****!
    Wrong again. Take your 9530 to Europe and bring along your VERIZON/VODAFONE SIM card. Purchase the global calling plan from Verizon and use the phone. It WILL work just fine. NO WHERE in the contract or user manual does it ever state that the the user is able to put in a SIM card from ANY carrier other than Verizon/Vodafone. Yes, it's possible to put in a pre-paid SIM card while overseas and use it successfully. It's even possible to do so here in the States (pre-paid or otherwise). Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's supported or that Verizon is concerned with this function NOT working.

Some people will just not give it up.
    03-25-09 02:31 PM
    Wrong again. Take your 9530 to Europe and bring along your VERIZON/VODAFONE SIM card. Purchase the global calling plan from Verizon and use the phone. It WILL work just fine. NO WHERE in the contract or user manual does it ever state that the the user is able to put in a SIM card from ANY carrier other than Verizon/Vodafone. Yes, it's possible to put in a pre-paid SIM card while overseas and use it successfully. It's even possible to do so here in the States (pre-paid or otherwise). Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's supported or that Verizon is concerned with this function NOT working.

Some people will just not give it up.
    I hate to say it, but I agree with this statement.

The key factor here is... if the OS has issues maintaining Blackberry Data coverage under GSM and Euro 3G radio coverage, then it'll have that issue with ANY SIM/Carrier, be it VZW's global SIM plan or other prepaid SIM in an unlocked phone. I think this is what most people are trying to say. If we can agree on both these points, we're all good then.
    03-25-09 04:21 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD