it doesn't hold constant EDGE on GSM carriers. The storm is supposedly a world phone right? I can't imagine Verizon / RIM would make something "official" when it doesn't meet the phone specs (.75 is rock solid in terms of radio).
    03-24-09 09:55 AM
    I havent had any issue yet. For me EDGE depends on my location as I dont have the best coverage where I live. Once I get away from my house it pops up and is constant.
    03-24-09 10:20 AM
    I agree. .113 should not be official. It does not hold Edge. .75 only one that is stable enough and holds a strong Edge connection
    03-24-09 12:00 PM
    Rogers user here and I agree. But what worries me is that after all these leaked OS's, RIM still has not fixed their Radio. Why can't they?
    03-24-09 12:45 PM
    RIM isn't worried about it holding EDGE here in the US. It's a CDMA radio in the 9530. It's designed to hold a GSM signal when roaming internationally. Now, if a 9500 won't hold a CDMA signal here, then that could be a proble. Take the 9530 overseas and it doesn't function, that' s problem. Go ahead and call Verizon here in the US and tell them you're having a problem maintaining any kind of GSM signal here in the US and see if they jump to help you out. I doubt it.
    03-24-09 02:53 PM
    RIM isn't worried about it holding EDGE here in the US. It's a CDMA radio in the 9530. It's designed to hold a GSM signal when roaming internationally. Now, if a 9500 won't hold a CDMA signal here, then that could be a proble. Take the 9530 overseas and it doesn't function, that' s problem. Go ahead and call Verizon here in the US and tell them you're having a problem maintaining any kind of GSM signal here in the US and see if they jump to help you out. I doubt it.
    How come .75 holds it no problem? You think it might have been by accident?
    Doubt it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 03:14 PM
    The point is that if you buy a 9530 from Verizon or Bell or Telus or ?, they say it will function overseas when you are traveling, then the expectation is that it will.

They 'should' honour that expectation as the phone is sold with that feature.
    03-24-09 03:38 PM
    +10

..as well the phone wasn't built for AT&T or their EDGE network...let alone the work arounds that have to be done once unlocked to get it to work on T-Mobile and others. Not worth it. People wanna use a phone, use it on the designed not desired network or stfu...lol
    03-24-09 03:43 PM
    +10

..as well the phone wasn't built for AT&T or their EDGE network...let alone the work arounds that have to be done once unlocked to get it to work on T-Mobile and others. Not worth it. People wanna use a phone, use it on the designed not desired network or stfu...lol
    You're an *****. The 95XX series are designed to work with GSM networks and should plain and simple how about you STFU?
    03-24-09 03:49 PM
    You're an *****. The 95XX series are designed to work with GSM networks and should plain and simple how about you STFU?
    Hmmm, I travel for a living and mine works fine
    03-24-09 03:51 PM
    Heres one for you. The 9530 is designed to work on CDMA. OMG!
    03-24-09 03:52 PM
    How come .75 holds it no problem? You think it might have been by accident?
    Doubt it.

Maybe not, but the real point is that if, somewhere in the process of iterating from .75 to .113, the ability to hold a stable North American EDGE connection got lost, Verizon wouldn't exactly shed a tear or otherwise give a crap unless it also affected the phone's ability to keep a stable connection on other GSM networks around the world.
    03-24-09 04:03 PM
    Looks like i need to pull the specs from Blackberry website. Again the 9530 supports GSM networks. This Storm fanboisim can get to unbelievable levels on the forum sometimes.
    03-24-09 04:07 PM
    Looks like i need to pull the specs from Blackberry website. Again the 9530 supports GSM networks. This Storm fanboisim can get to unbelievable levels on the forum sometimes.
    It's not being a "fanboy" its just stating facts about what VZW's attitude towards the phone not working on a North American GSM network, VZW could care less. In working on the radio I believe it is possible that they could have messed up the radio code enough to cause signal drops on the NA frequencies and not care about fixing the problem. This wouldn't hurt their marketing at all as long as the phone works over seas as a matter of fact they probably would be pleased to not have Storm users move to other US carriers.
    03-24-09 04:18 PM
    It's not being a "fanboy" its just stating facts about what VZW's attitude towards the phone not working on a North American GSM network, VZW could care less. In working on the radio I believe it is possible that they could have messed up the radio code enough to cause signal drops on the NA frequencies and not care about fixing the problem. This wouldn't hurt their marketing at all as long as the phone works over seas as a matter of fact they probably would be pleased to not have Storm users move to other US carriers.
    I see your reasoning, but the bottom line is RIM doesn't care. They want to sell as many units as possible, and I'm sure they are aware that quite a lot of units are sold and unlocked.
    03-24-09 04:21 PM
    lol @ "fanboism"
    03-24-09 04:23 PM
    Sorry my post was not directed at you. What you said actually makes perfect sense.
    03-24-09 04:23 PM
    heres a thought...just mine...but IF (get it...big if...lol) anywho...IF VZW does decide to release .113 as the official...whats stopping them from releasing another one in say May-June-July? Its possible that they like .113 enough to release...not likely....but it could happen...then they have another one that they like again in a few months that they like....something just to hold us over until a BIG update......kinda like an appetizer leading to the main course...
    03-24-09 04:51 PM
    I want deserts though.

03-24-09 04:55 PM
    I dont see them releasing .113 as an Official. MMS dont work for some people. That right there alone wont pass as a released official OS. I might be wrong, but thinking about it seems like I just might be right .113 and .114 arent SOLID like .75. With .75 there wasnt MMS forwarding issues, with ANYONES phone. And yeah, it is a big issue because people pay more a month for that service. Why Release an OS and have people complain it dont work? That wouldnt be right.
    03-24-09 04:56 PM
    Has anyone considered that possibly the leaked version we got here isn't the finished version of any OS? Aren't we kinda depending on shady sources for these things?
    03-24-09 04:57 PM
    Good job! You are so smart, I dont think ANYONE knew that! Now find in those specs where it supports all frequencies of 3G.

This is so basic, the idiocy is INCREDIBLE to me. The storm is a Verizon Exclusive. Verizon is CDMA. Why in the **** would RIM waste their time making sure is works on GSM 3G when its not readily available on ANY GSM Network? This is COMMON SENSE, jesus.

Im gonna go complain that this Ford alternator doesnt fit on my Chevy truck. They are both American car companies! Why doesnt it fit! This is ridiculous!
    Last edited by ls1norcal; 03-24-09 at 05:15 PM.
    03-24-09 05:11 PM
    Good job! You are so smart, I dont ANYONE knew that! Now find in those specs where it supports all frequencies of 3G.

This is so basic, the idiocy is INCREDIBLE to me. The storm is a Verizon Exclusive. Verizon is CDMA. Why in the **** would RIM waste their time making sure is works on GSM 3G when its not readily available on ANY GSM Network? This is COMMON SENSE, jesus.
    Who said anything about 3G? We're talking GPRS/EDGE bands. Which the Storm supports. How about you use all that COMMON SENSE to some use huh?
    03-24-09 05:18 PM
    What's everyone ******** about I've had a constant EDGE since install mayb I got a good batch of STORMS

03-24-09 05:27 PM
    What's everyone ******** about I've had a constant EDGE since install mayb I got a good batch of STORMS

Are you using .113 without any hybrid mod?
    03-24-09 05:48 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD