DON'T BUY IT! This is going to be an amazing multi-media device that will blow away the competition. No Wi-Fi...."wah wah", buy an iPhone then! There is nothing disappointing about this phone except that its not out yet! Who's bringing the grill and cooler of beer for the campout at the VZ store? I AM!!!!!!

Update:
    Just for the record, this is NOT an OBJECTIVE thread. This is a "I don't care that the Storm is not Wi-Fi capable, isn't rumored to have a 32 gb model and has a slightly smaller screen than an iPhone" thread. Boo frick'n hoo.
    Last edited by apolicerecruit; 09-23-08 at 03:48 PM.
    09-23-08 03:19 PM
    DON'T BUY IT! This is going to be an amazing multi-media device that will blow away the competition. No Wi-Fi...."wah wah", buy an iPhone then! There is nothing disappointing about this phone except that its not out yet! Who's bringing the grill and cooler of beer for the campout at the VZ store? I AM!!!!!!
    I second that!!!!!
    09-23-08 03:28 PM
    I totally agree. First people whine and moan that VZW doesn't get cool phones like the iPhone. Now that we have one, they complain about Wi-Fi and tabbed browsing. If those two items are such a killer for you, then switch over to AT&T where you'll be constantly looking for service just to use the stupid phone anyways. VZW's network is fast enough for me and to be completely honest, how many of you actually spend hours on end surfing the internet with your phone? Get a laptop people. I don't understand how people are so quick to overlook all the things this phone DOES do, and judge it solely on what it doesn't. I personally can't wait.
    09-23-08 03:30 PM
    DON'T BUY IT! This is going to be an amazing multi-media device that will blow away the competition. No Wi-Fi...."wah wah", buy an iPhone then! There is nothing disappointing about this phone except that its not out yet! Who's bringing the grill and cooler of beer for he campout at the VZ store?
    Right, because this phone is perfect in every way. Just because WiFi isn't useful to you or me, doesn't mean it's not critical to others in the community. And how is it going to blow away the competition? I'm not an iPhone fanboy, in fact the 1G one I used was terrible, but as far as multimedia:

iPhone has larger screen
    iPhone has iTunes (if you're into that, which alot of people are)
    iPhone has larger storage capacity if you count the rumored 32GB model
    iPhone has INCREDIBLE aftermarket media support with docks and other features.

The STORM has usability in a business environment (damn exchange integration for iPhones sucks)
    STORM is (likely) a more durable device
    STORM has slightly more resolution (wow an extra 40 lines... thank your stars)
    Storm has a better camera (although seriously, neither will replace your P&S)
    STORM has a multimedia capable connection on Verizon (real bandwidth, in more places)

I fail to see how this "blows away" the competition in multimedia. Try to be more objective... If you were solely focused on Media, and not phone/pda functionality, most people would be better served with an iPhone since you can play your multimedia on your tv, car, and stereo. Try that with a Storm...
    09-23-08 03:34 PM
    Wait - let's be serious here...am i going to really have to camp out to get a hold of this damn thing?! :P
    09-23-08 03:34 PM
    Well first of all, you have to realize that Verizon is irrelevant to some of us here. (I for example am in Canada and Rogers is my provider).
    Second of all, WiFi is important to people who don't have unlimited data plans. I don't have unlimited data (only 25 megs per month), and I can't easily upgrade my data package because I'm on a corporate account. An application like Google maps can take over 300 KB for each map page it loads., so you see how the data can add up if you want to use all the capabilities of the device...
    Therefore, there's more to it than whining "wah wah".
    09-23-08 03:37 PM
    Right, because this phone is perfect in every way. Just because WiFi isn't useful to you or me, doesn't mean it's not critical to others in the community. And how is it going to blow away the competition? I'm not an iPhone fanboy, in fact the 1G one I used was terrible, but as far as multimedia:

iPhone has larger screen

The STORM has usability in a business environment (damn exchange integration for iPhones sucks)
    STORM has a multimedia capable connection on Verizon (real bandwidth, in more places)

I fail to see how this "blows away" the competition in multimedia. Try to be more objective... If you were solely focused on Media, and not phone/pda functionality, most people would be better served with an iPhone since you can play your multimedia on your tv, car, and stereo. Try that with a Storm...
    Wow...not an iPhone fanboy huh? Wait, is this Boy Genius? Must be. You use a Motorolla (Choke) Q (Choke) anyway. I think your in the wrong area. The non BlackBerry discussion forums are elsewhere.
    09-23-08 03:39 PM
    Wait - let's be serious here...am i going to really have to camp out to get a hold of this damn thing?! :P
    If we do have to camp, we will have fun with it! Im thinking cheddar brat's and Guiness!
    09-23-08 03:41 PM

iPhone has larger screen

Uhhh I play music over my curve in my car and on stereo? Tv? Your bb has bluetooth and there's already bluetooth av adapters?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 03:42 PM
    Wow...not an iPhone fanboy huh? Wait, is this Boy Genius? Must be. You use a Motorolla (Choke) Q (Choke) anyway. I think your in the wrong area. The non BlackBerry discussion forums are elsewhere.
    Wow, nice way to address the points I made. I understand that this is a blackberry fanboy-oriented forum, however companies don't get better by being told they have a perfect device, and to not change anything. By stating what you're like to have in the next generation Storm, those points may be addressed. I look forward to seeing you using your storm in 2012 since it's the perfect device that obviously can't be improved. And where did I say that the Storm wasn't better than the motorola Q? I'll agree with you there... but I never suggested that was the case?

Uhhh I play music over my curve in my car and on stereo? Tv? Your bb has bluetooth and there's already bluetooth av adapters?

Don't try to act like you don't know what I'm referring to. Yes, you can use 3.5 -> RCA adapters to get into your stereo, but how are you going to get the video off of the claimed "multimedia powerhouse" onto your tv for group viewing? I understand that this has limited appeal, however you can't deny that that is a powerful option for multimedia. And (some) car stereo heads are
    designed to connect and interact with iPods/iPhones. The best you're going to get with the RIM is if the car head detects the storm as a mass storage device, and lets you play files off of it.

I'm not saying you can't use the storm for audio in your home/car, just that Apple has a better hold on this marketplace with 3rd party vendors.

I don't even own an apple product, and I haven't since my 2G Apple iPod 20GB years ago. I didn't say the iPhone is a better phone, just that it's multimedia capabilities are more refined.
    09-23-08 03:52 PM
    I'm with you!!! I'm definitely getting one the day it comes out.

09-23-08 03:55 PM
    Geez people, this is just a phone. Not every phone is going to meet everyone's needs not even the iPhone. Remember when the 1st iPhone came out and everyone was complaining that there was no 3G. Well, I guess it didn't mattter because it still sold millions. Now, the 3g iPhone is out but people still complain about it because they didn't include the missing features from the 1st iPhone i.e. cut and paste, video recording, gps with turn by turn directions, etc. Plus the iPhone still has issues with 3g connectivity but at&t still makes u pay more for the data even though it has wi-fi. I'm not here to bash the IPhone or glorify the Storm as the best phone ever. But we just need to put everything in perspective. There is NO such thing as a PERFECT PHONE!

09-23-08 04:08 PM
    Wow, nice way to address the points I made. I understand that this is a blackberry fanboy-oriented forum, however companies don't get better by being told they have a perfect device, and to not change anything. By stating what you're like to have in the next generation Storm, those points may be addressed. I look forward to seeing you using your storm in 2012 since it's the perfect device that obviously can't be improved. And where did I say that the Storm wasn't better than the motorola Q? I'll agree with you there... but I never suggested that was the case?

Don't try to act like you don't know what I'm referring to. Yes, you can use 3.5 -> RCA adapters to get into your stereo, but how are you going to get the video off of the claimed "multimedia powerhouse" onto your tv for group viewing? I understand that this has limited appeal, however you can't deny that that is a powerful option for multimedia. And (some) car stereo heads are
    designed to connect and interact with iPods/iPhones. The best you're going to get with the RIM is if the car head detects the storm as a mass storage device, and lets you play files off of it.

I'm not saying you can't use the storm for audio in your home/car, just that Apple has a better hold on this marketplace with 3rd party vendors.

I don't even own an apple product, and I haven't since my 2G Apple iPod 20GB years ago. I didn't say the iPhone is a better phone, just that it's multimedia capabilities are more refined.
    So what your saying is....If you complain about a device that you have never touched, before it comes out, the company will read your complaint that you posted on CrackBerry and make upgrades to the device? Wow! Well since you have Steve Jobs' direct line maybe you could ask him to add MMS capability, a removable/expandable battery, a better camera and BlackBerry reliability to the iPhone. Better yet, tell him to at least fix the whole "making phone calls" issue. Thank you for your help!
    09-23-08 04:11 PM
    Camp out? Can't you just order it online through the store? I never understood why the iphone had lines for it. Couldn't you order that online too? Or was it only possible to physically get it at the apple store?
    09-23-08 04:12 PM

there are plenty of car headsets with bluetooth capability to recognise your phone. personally i just use a tapedeck adapter.

and av adapters are available for your home. not sure why you'd want to play a movie over your phone on tv to begin with but it is certainly possible.

if you have any stake in saying it's more capable it is simply on the basis that there are more aftermarket products readily available for the ipod.
    09-23-08 04:12 PM
    So what your saying is....If you complain about a device that you have never touched, before it comes out, the company will read your complaint that you posted on CrackBerry and make upgrades to the device? Wow! Well since you have Steve Jobs' direct line maybe you could ask him to add MMS capability, a removable/expandable battery, a better camera and BlackBerry reliability to the iPhone. Better yet, tell him to at least fix the whole "making phone calls" issue. Thank you for your help!
    By stating what you're like to have in the next generation Storm
    If you were solely focused on Media, and not phone/pda functionality

You're the one who stated it is an "amazing multi-media device that will blow away the competition", why not either retract that statement, or point out how my posts are wrong? The Storm will be a competitive multi-media device that is going to be the best consumer-oriented device RIM has ever released. By not being on a network run by shysters (ATT), the STORM has a good chance of being the best overall touchscreen smartphone this year.
    09-23-08 04:23 PM
    I'm disappointed that it doesn't have at least 256MB flash. It should have had at least that. There are several current gen smartphones that have at least that much. Is RIM trying to tell us that this phone's hardware has been in production/testing for over 2 years that they couldn't bring the specs up to 256MB on the memory? Ya right!
    09-23-08 04:25 PM
    apolicerecruit, Things go over your head pretty frequently don't they?

The reason people complain about missing features is because they aren't happy with the device. We have been told what the features are, and there are some that just aren't up to par with the compitition. So right now we know that the phone could be better, as there are other phones that already have these features. I will agree that no phone is perfect, and that this phone will be awesome to use, but you are just acting like an ***** on here. Supply and demand coupled with Moore's law is the reason devices like this are around, and while we complain about features that don't exsist right now phone manufacturers race to be the next one out with a product that meets our ever expanding wants and needs. And the great thing about the whole process is that it keeps getting cheaper.
    09-23-08 04:26 PM
    I'm disappointed that it doesn't have at least 256MB flash. It should have had at least that. There are several current gen smartphones that have at least that much. Is RIM trying to tell us that this phone's hardware has been in production/testing for over 2 years that they couldn't bring the specs up to 256MB on the memory? Ya right!
    Am I wrong that the 1GB on board dedicated to multimedia is not flash? I'm not all that 31337 when it comes to hardware.
    09-23-08 04:37 PM

The reason people complain about missing features is because they aren't happy with the device. We have been told what the features are, and there are some that just aren't up to par with the compitition. So right now we know that the phone could be better, as there are other phones that already have these features. I will agree that no phone is perfect, and that this phone will be awesome to use, but you are just acting like an ***** on here. Supply and demand coupled with Moore's law is the reason devices like this are around, and while we complain about features that don't exsist right now phone manufacturers race to be the next one out with a product that meets our ever expanding wants and needs. And the great thing about the whole process is that it keeps getting cheaper.
    Its not over my head. I understand where you are coming from. However, complaining about a phone you haven't actually used is BS. You know as well as I do that this is only a GEN 1 device and will continue to improve. If you want Wi-Fi your going to have to go to another carrier. RIM and VZW need to respond to the iPhone consumer and provide an alternative. Introducing the Storm. You think I'm acting like a jerk? You all are acting like spoiled little kids that go a bike for Xmas instead of a Transformer. They both are great. This phone will be the best device on the market to compete with the iPhone. Like I stated in the beginning of this thread, it's not objective. If your going to complain about the phone, don't buy it. The rest of us that are excited about its release are sick of hearing your rhetoric. Can I get an AMEN
    09-23-08 04:40 PM
    Am I wrong that the 1GB on board dedicated to multimedia is not flash? I'm not all that 31337 when it comes to hardware.
    I believe he's referring to the RAM on the device, but I could be wrong. I believe it has 128MB FLASH for ROM storage, 192MB RAM (according to KevinByrne), and 1GB storage onboard. Since it's not windowsmobile, I'm guessing that 192 shouldn't be that laggy running blackberry's software, but you can never have too much RAM!
    09-23-08 04:42 PM

But Tall, how can people be unhappy with it when it hasn't even been released. Also, you're right, some things aren't like the Iphone, but some things are better. But the thing is, you don't see people mentioning that. All they do is talk about the negative. Personally, I don't think anything would ever be good enough for some people. This device does some things better than the Iphone and has some the Iphone doesn't and vice versa.Once again, I know what you're saying bro. And hel l, you know what I'm saying...LOL.. we already had this convo.
    09-23-08 04:44 PM
    Its not over my head. I understand where you are coming from. However, complaining about a phone you haven't actually used is BS. You know as well as I do that this is only a GEN 1 device and will continue to improve. If you want Wi-Fi your going to have to go to another carrier. RIM and VZW need to respond to the iPhone consumer and provide an alternative. Introducing the Storm. You think I'm acting like a jerk? You all are acting like spoiled little kids that go a bike for Xmas instead of a Transformer. They both are great. This phone will be the best device on the market to compete with the iPhone. Like I stated in the beginning of this thread, it's not objective. If your going to complain about the phone, don't buy it. The rest of us that are excited about its release are sick of hearing your rhetoric. Can I get an AMEN
    Then by your logic, your own praise of a device you have never used is also BS? Fine the device is going to improve, so why not list ways it can improve in the future?

I never made any personal attacks, although that would be a simple task, simply because belittling people on the internet seems pointless, even though everyone tends to do it from time to time.

I got a green transformer, instead of the better blue transformer. Sure, the green transformer works just fine, and is a perfectly reasonable toy, but there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting a blue one...

You seem to want to defend your phone choice regardless of the truth. Some people want to be able to say "I got this awesome new phone, that does absolutely everything anyone could possibly want it to do, and then some", and when someone states something to the contrary, they get all ****-hurt over it. Somehow they tie their ego to whatever device they have, storm, ps3, macbook, etc. I don't get it, does the device own you, or do you own the device? Is the device a gift, or are you paying for it. I don't know what kind of connections you have, but I'm definately going to have to pay for my phone, whichever one I choose, so I have a right to make judgements based on their capabilities. If it's a gift, be thankful...
    Last edited by c4v3man; 09-23-08 at 04:57 PM.
    09-23-08 04:49 PM
    I believe he's referring to the RAM on the device, but I could be wrong. I believe it has 128MB FLASH for ROM storage, 192MB RAM (according to KevinByrne), and 1GB storage onboard. Since it's not windowsmobile, I'm guessing that 192 shouldn't be that laggy running blackberry's software, but you can never have too much RAM!
    ohhhhhh ok, it's 1 gig storage. i agree never have enough ram.
    09-23-08 04:55 PM
    Well I figured since everyone else was putting in their 2 cents I might as well. My brother has the new 16gb Iphone and it is nice. I like it and would be nice to have one to play online with. But nah I like the bb browser. The storm labeled as the media powerhouse. It is for a BLACKBERRY. It is better than the other bb's out there. I wish I had one and I work in the construction field and this is the first touch screen phone I would think about owning. My bro has issues with his iphone every now and then and he is always installing updates. Also he is trying to show me what his will do that mine won't. However he can only do that at my dads house but not at mine. Why? Cause he has no service. So for some the iphone is perfect and they use it for personal use pretty much only. I use mine to run a business and personal so the business oriented blackberry works perfect for me. So if you want to rant and rave on the differences wait until the storm is in hand and do a video review of the differences and you will have proof. So I'm with everyone on camping at the vzw store to get it. Hey wait I hav e alltel. Well maybe ill have to have both haha!

09-23-08 04:57 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD