Hi there, i have just recently received the Curve 8530. I do like the phone, there is nothing wrong with it, but i have 30 days to see if i like it, or want to change it in. Now in 3 days, the cellphone provider for my area will finally be getting in the Storm 2. I know its kinda late compared to you guys from the states but in Northern Ontario we are slow lol.

So basically, i am looking to hear from people with experience with the storm2 to see if it really is worth getting. I would have to pay about $150 to upgrade to it, so thats why i want to make sure.

I realize they have made many fixes compared to storm 1 but are there any other big problems users are facing? Some guy on here said the OS was slow and boring, is that true? Would there be any reasons not to get it for the price, over the curve i have?

Any other comments would be great, thanks!
    07-09-10 11:45 AM
    You are comparing apples to oranges...do you want a physical or touchscreen keyboard? I LOVE my S2, bought it the first day it came out, and have never had any problems with it. The OS is not as "exciting" as the new Droids, but it is tried and true and unequaled in messaging and security. The browser is the weakest link. The typing experience is awesome IMHO and I could never see me going back to a physical keyboard. The screen is great, even in bright light...I could never go back to a small screen either; the S2 just spoiled me and I look forward to the S3 coming out the first of the year (hopefully earlier)! Good Luck...
    07-09-10 11:59 AM
    Love my S2. It works perfectly and always has. As to the slow and boring OS comment you heard, It's no slower or more boring that your curve would be. Mine isn't slow at all. Plus, the S2 will be able to run the OS6 when it comes out.
    07-09-10 04:03 PM
    I had the Storm1 from day one. I'm assuming most basic operations are the same. I loved the layout and functions of the phone. Only took me a few minutes to get used to typing on it. Now a physical keyboard is a major pain to me.
    Recently broke my Storm1....don't ask.
    Most all the problems from Storm1 have been addressed with 2. I am actually considering a Storm2 along with the DroidX, I like it that much.
    07-09-10 04:38 PM
    I love my storm two also but don't think I would pay $150 for it over a curve. I would sit tight with the curve and wait to see what comes out down the road.
    07-09-10 05:04 PM
    I was lucky enough to get an S2 as an insurance replacement for my S1. Although they look very similar, the additional memory and other features make it a far better device.

However, if they sent me a refurbished S1, I probably would have limped along for a few months until the next gen Storm comes out. Remember, it's halfway through its model cycle, so take that into account when you look at finances.
    07-09-10 05:38 PM
    S2 for sure.
    It's easily worth $150 over the Curve.
    If your Service Provider is just getting the S2 now, it will likely be a while before you get the S3.
    Get the S2 and enjoy
    07-09-10 08:01 PM
    Asking this in a storm2 forum...obviously people are going to be biased. I am biased as well and love my storm. The biggest screen of all blackberries baby.

Doesn't the 8530 run on only 2g?
    07-09-10 09:16 PM
    Just make sure u get a bb with at least 256mb to be eligible for os6

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 01:11 AM
    If you need a touchscreen bb, Storm 2 is your only option anyways. It is a great phone, most bugs have been worked out. Messaging and emails cannot be beat. However, you are entering into a long-term contract with 4g right around the corner, so be wary.
    07-10-10 10:37 AM
    Like everyone else has said, it all boils down to the touchscreen. Personally, I love surepress and learned to type accurately with it rather quickly. But to each his own. You just have to try the S2 and see. You may not get the real feel in the store. I wasn't overly impressed in the 10 or 15 minutes I played with it. But after owning it for about a week I was in love with it.
    07-10-10 11:10 AM
    Just make sure u get a bb with at least 256mb to be eligible for os6

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1 on that.

Also, I can't believe how fast I am with suretype in portrait mode.

Also, the bigger screen is a plus for me. So yeah its a great phone.
    07-10-10 06:01 PM
    ... 4g right around the corner...
    Not in northern Ontario.
    07-10-10 09:48 PM
    Not in northern Ontario.
    Ya we don't even have 3G yet...and are just getting S2 tomorrow... S3 prolly wont hit for years lol.

Thanks for all the info, i think S2 will be great and look forward to picking one up!
    07-11-10 09:12 AM
    Ya we don't even have 3G yet...and are just getting S2 tomorrow... S3 prolly wont hit for years lol.

Thanks for all the info, i think S2 will be great and look forward to picking one up!
    you will love the screen size, yes it will take time to get used to the lack of physical keyboard but once you get it, having a true keyboard is blah. i still have my curve 8330 in my desk drawer, will be taking it with me on a trip just as back up, and possibly to sell to my buddy who wants one, but didnt get one because his girl told him that bb wont work at his house, blah if his phone works bb will work,, she is just a technical dolt
    07-11-10 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD