I am thinking of getting the storm in the next 2 days or so, and was wondering what experiences people have had with it up to now. Some of the bad/annoying things I have read by hanging around the forum lately is that the text messages wont go beyond 160, and there is a workaround I guess of using MMS? Still kind of a pain as not to allow you to go on, also, the flash compatibility? Anything announced yet to fix this little issue? These are just some of the things I have read, does anyone have any other examples of missing features or added features compared to their last phone (even if not BB) or at least their comparison to other versions? I am a BB newbie, first time going with one, but want to make sure I know where it stands. Thanks
    Last edited by nemo-maritime; 02-17-09 at 08:31 PM.
    02-12-09 09:09 AM
    Typically, my texts aren't lengthy, or I'd use email--so 160 characters isn't a problem.

However, to own this phone, you need to be understanding that it is something new from RIM; it is not perfect, it will require a little bit of tweaking and some tolerance. You may even have to have them replace it once or twice, and although that is free--some people see it as a PITA.

I love mine, and it took me 3 tries to get a solid one but it was worth it and Verizon treated me top notch the whole time.
    02-12-09 09:19 AM
    The bad thing is that I can't get off the friggin thing. Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 09:22 AM
    The great thing about having a BB is that it works. I was previously on a WinMo phone, and had to reboot it at LEAST once a day. In the almost three months of owning my BB, I've probably only reset it twice.
    02-12-09 09:43 AM
    The great thing about having a BB is that it works. I was previously on a WinMo phone, and had to reboot it at LEAST once a day. In the almost three months of owning my BB, I've probably only reset it twice.
    Question is, how many times has it reset itself? lol just messing.
    02-12-09 09:58 AM
    I really like my phone, but you are going to run into some things you don't like.

1. For me and a lot of people the OS seems to cause problems from time to time, you will get after imaging, which is basically caused when you flip the phone from one view to another, and the previous view stays... it goes away when you start interacting with the screen.

2. Slowness. It will be slow from time to time, if you have a lot going on, it is important to run the memory cleaner.

3. Potential for needing a replacement. I had to have mine replaced because I was able to see the screens fresh rate. But, Verizon replaced it without an problems. No arguing or anything like that. I would recommend getting the insurance plan though, just in case because some day they are going to stop replacing them so easily.

The good thing about the storm?

Well... That is pretty easy, it is just freakin' awesome!
    02-12-09 10:30 AM
    I just got mine last Friday so I don't have a TON of experience with it yet, but the think I like about it the most is that it's a glass screen and you actually have to click. No more of this haptic feedback and the possibility of scratching the screen with your thumbnail. I actually did that to my Dare.
    02-12-09 10:41 AM
    Thanks to all who replied.
    EDIT: Fixed this post with paragraphs so it wont look like a page out of an encyclopedia.

So I went and got it anyways, seeing that there is 30 days to try it and cancel the contract. The phone is pretty nice, the 160 text issue still pisses me off, but I just save the text as draft and keep on writing. I do have to give a long description on things every now and then, so that's why its more than 160, and not all ppl I know answer/check their e-mail regularly. There is also no flash video compatibility, plus I just heard today that Adobe will also work with Android to get something for them, hope there is something for all you/us BB users.

With my week of use of the phone, it went mostly smooth. It crashed 3 times in a day, but I haven't had anything else for 4 days now. The keyboard takes getting some use to, not because its touch, but because of the "click" feature. It is also a bit slow, I have learned to type quickly on it and as I do, it lags a key or two behind when it glows for the key pressed. Its also a pain that I have to release each one before clicking the next, but that I am getting used to, its still a bit slow. Speaking of writing, the spell checker, T9 I believe, is a bit outdated for the new BB, and sometimes sucks at correcting some words, words I sometimes miss-type because of the keyboard, but at least it highlights words that need to be double-checked. Anyone else think that the keyboard part should be just touch sensitive? Continuing on.

The browser is great, really great. I love that I can just scroll around without accidentally clicking anything. The zoom is nice as well and the pages are crisp. Same thing goes for the media, it looks really great with the images/videos preloaded, and the audio is really good, especially with the included headphones. Its also really easy to set up the apps in what order I want, and move them around/hide them.

The one thing I am not used to is having a screen that shows the e-mails but also tells me about missed calls/voice mails, would like a app/page of its own, but that is what I am used to. The battery is also really good, it lasts a while, and this is what I really enjoy. Finally a phone I can use all day without having it die on me. I hate to do this, but just for comparison, I think the IPhone has a longer battery life. By almost twice? Not a 100% on that one, sorry for including it but I'm just ranting on.

I do like the return button on the phone itself, big plus. Also like the way the call button shows the scroll able list and the call log, the call log could save me the issue above about the missed calls but I am still just used to having it in different sections - outgoing/incoming/missed calls in its own app, let that be a hint for those who make FREE apps. In the call list it shows how many recent calls you have made per contact, and how long those calls lasted, also a nice feature. One thing that is really bugging me is the light leak on the phone. If you/I look at the body, and the background is turned on, I can see light bleeding out from the background. Also, if I press the screen down I can move it around a tiny bit, which explains the bleeding light; just a little thing that buggs me, but its the main thing about the physical phone itself.

THE WEIRDEST PART about the Storm is that it does not have WIFI, WTH? The only real reason I got the Storm is because of the SIM compatibility since I will be going to Europe later this year, but also for using it with another provider if I ditch Verizon, but the WIFI part is a HUGE miss in my book. Yeah you get the Verizon almost everywhere Internet, but if I take this to a different country or to a different provider (I wont be getting their data plan) I wont have anything to use to get online. I wanted to go with the Omnia because of this but it does not have a SIM comp. like the Storm. It needs WIFI, how can it be a new BB and not have WiFi, its the must in all of the new phones.

Lastly, the issue that I have is the app selection. I know that its been recently that it just got out, but its still not a lot. Looking around I found out a few places saying that RIM keeps its code private, and even for the apps they don't allow full access, which is a good thing/security thing, but they need to step up to the field themselves then. I know its not fair to be throwing that out there, but there needs to be more quality apps that are also free. Hope with time this changes, but we'll see. The small app store that is included with the phone - "Application Center" is pretty empty and another word that starts with s and rhymes with itty. It sadly only has some IM clients, and Verizon navigation (useless because of free Google maps)/V Cast music (Kind of useless because you can put your own tones on the BB and the slacker radio is nice as well, but I guess some people buy music) and Visual Voice Mail; the visual voice mail and VZ nav are paid monthly. Flicker is included but I haven't tried it yet. The app thing bugs me because its been a few months now and there is still no real selection, but that is why we have crackberry I guess. Also, what is up with the VZ App Zone? Why is that not working with the Storm? I see they have the Samsung Omnia, but I thought that the Storm is their main phone. I also see that it works with other BB, so I hope they change this soon.

So that is about it for my thoughts on the phone itself..... for now. Its been a few days, and I have a few apps like Google Sync (for contact list backup) and Slacker radio so far. The phone is nice overall, but I strongly think that Verizon needs to step it up in the app department of their iPhone killer. Overall I am also really happy with the BB experience. Besides the early crashes and the light leak, I can get used to the phone. There is one more problem. I have a friend who works for Verizon support, and he told me that they will be upgrading the Storm. I don't know about this, I looked online and only 1 site claimed this in December, but supposedly the first one is a test device, and they are working on the second/third version because the first one was too buggy. I didn't know what to make of this, but he did also tell me about the Verizon "faves" coming soon, and then it got rolled out. I am guessing it would be like the 9520, but for Verizon. So I honestly don't know what to think. I'm thinking overall of keeping it, but if something gets announced soon, I'll probably be returning mine. If i return it I will most likely go with the 8900
    Last edited by nemo-maritime; 02-17-09 at 09:19 PM.
    02-17-09 07:58 PM

wow...
    02-17-09 08:01 PM
    PARAGRAPHS. DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

I like my Storm, but as it's my first smartphone I may just have a false impression of it. It's a little quirky, it has little glitches, but nothing earth-shattering. I send and receive mail, I make phone calls, I do instant messaging, it's all good. The camera is practically useless since it lags so much but I'm told they may be able to improve that with software. Guess I'll wait and see.

I am a little annoyed at the lack of software updates. I see a zillion leaked betas over in the Beta OS forum but we're still on an official OS that's more than a couple of months old and in dire need of fixes.
    02-17-09 08:12 PM
    I only spent about an hour with the Storm at the VZW store, but enjoyed the experience (once I closed all the apps and cleaned the memory). As with my Pearl 8120 I have now, and with any computer, the fewer applications that are running (and therefore more memory free), the better the experience.

The clicking screen thing felt just fine to me. I've never actually typed on a screen before, so I don't know if that makes a difference being used to a hardware keyboard or stylus writing area thing.

No Wifi is a big issue IMHO, but it's VZW here - the same company that lost a law suit about their crippling Bluetooth functionality and lying about it. (I may be bias because I had a bad experience, unrelated to the Bluetooth thing, with VZW, so take the latter half of that statement, and the anger and attitude therein, with a grain of salt). EDIT: Just checked my "facts". VZW didn't lose the law suit, they settled.

I didn't try any of Verizon's apps, nor do I plan to use them if I get a Storm (normal voice mail is fine for me, and I have a standalone GPS that I can get updated maps for every year for cheaper than VZ Nav.).

@OP: The 160 character limit for SMS is one that is in the spec, not one imposed by the Storm (unless you are referring to automatically splitting the message, in which case I have no experience with any message that long on any phone).

And your recent post was a bit difficult to read. Paragraphs do help with readability, and are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by cmarks03; 02-17-09 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Updated law suit info.
    02-17-09 08:20 PM
    I have only had my storm for 2weeks and I love it! I had an 8830we before and loved it as well. I have had all of the other smart phones and only the palm's o.s. Was close to being like rim's. I agree that a blackberry just works, and plus a TON off people will help you. The beta o.s.'s are good if you know what you are doing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 08:27 PM
    PARAGRAPHS. DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

I like my Storm, but as it's my first smartphone I may just have a false impression of it. It's a little quirky, it has little glitches, but nothing earth-shattering. I send and receive mail, I make phone calls, I do instant messaging, it's all good. The camera is practically useless since it lags so much but I'm told they may be able to improve that with software. Guess I'll wait and see.

I am a little annoyed at the lack of software updates. I see a zillion leaked betas over in the Beta OS forum but we're still on an official OS that's more than a couple of months old and in dire need of fixes.
    I was in a little bit of a hurry. I did forget about the camera, but I havent used it much. It is really slow. REALLY SLOW, because if its something that is moving, its gone by the time its done. Just one more tiny issue, but I have heard as well that it can be taken care of with a simple software fix. Also agree with the OS update, things need to change
    02-17-09 08:28 PM
    That's a very comprehensive 'First Thoughts' review!

I was going to post the link to my thoughts from a different thread - guess I still will:http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/college-kid-needs-help-decision-143580/#post1705601

I really am enjoying my Storm - had it since Dec 2nd. I'm waiting for a replacement - Dust between the glass and the screen recently. Thinking of possibly an Otterbox for my next storm.

I'm currently running .103 and it's a pretty stable OS!
    Last edited by bbsean; 02-17-09 at 08:59 PM.
    02-17-09 08:53 PM

wow...
    That is all I could say as well. The Storm is a great business phone as well.
    02-17-09 09:05 PM
    I really am enjoying my Storm - had it since Dec 2nd. I'm waiting for a replacement - Dust between the glass and the screen recently.
    Thanks, I just kept on going with what I could remember. The dust issue, I'm thinking if it could/would be an issue as a result of the space between the screen and the edges - my "light leak" issue. I usually just keep mine in my pocket, and I know I have dust in some of those pockets . Hope this is not something common
    02-17-09 09:23 PM
    OK, I got my Curve last May after owning a Treo 650. Last Thursday I got the Storm, I'll give it a few more days, but I'm going back to the Curve I think. Here's why:

1. The hardware QWERTY keyboard is WAY better. I find myself not texting as much cause I don't feel like dealing with the keyboard on the Storm. I think "oh, hey I should text/BBM so and so...ahh. forget it"
    2. When I'm using the QWERTY keyboard to do something like fill out a calendar entry, it takes up most of the screen's real estate, I can see most of the line I'm filling out and that's about all.
    3. In phone mode, there is no QWERTY keyboard, only multi tap or SureType. So, when in phone mode, I can't look up a contact very easily (as easily as I could on the Curve). [Yes I realize if I go into Contacts I can use the landscape mode, but not when I'm in Phone mode!]
    4. It's just too "delicate" of a phone, I'm always afraid of damaging the screen by suppressing it while it's in my pocket or something.
    5. It's a little heavier than the Curve.
    6. Did I mention how much it blows to type on a touch screen keyboard?
    7. It's not REALLY a touch screen, they just replaced the track ball with some areas that you can touch.
    8. The camera SUCKS to use, it's a two stage picture. And, to take a pic of yourself, you have to press the touchscreen, on the opposite side of the phone, so you have no tactile response to know if you're finger is in the correct place for taking a picture.

I'm sure there's more cause I'm really not liking this, however, there ARE some positives.

1. The "swipe" thing is cool
    2. The browser window is bigger and better
    3. Chicks seem to dig it for some reason, and it's cool to say you've got the newest phone.
    02-17-09 09:33 PM
    OOOohhhhhhh yeah. My file free memory is WAY more than fine, but there is a lot of lag and waiting for the phone to "catch up" to what I want it to do. Particularly when changing from portrait to landscape. It's not a bug in my phone, it's all of them. When I want something, I WANT it NOW--not when my "smart phone" decides to wake up and do what I asked it to!!
    02-17-09 09:36 PM
    1. The hardware QWERTY keyboard is WAY better. I find myself not texting as much cause I don't feel like dealing with the keyboard on the Storm. I think "oh, hey I should text/BBM so and so...ahh. forget it"
    2. When I'm using the QWERTY keyboard to do something like fill out a calendar entry, it takes up most of the screen's real estate, I can see most of the line I'm filling out and that's about all.
    3. In phone mode, there is no QWERTY keyboard, only multi tap or SureType. So, when in phone mode, I can't look up a contact very easily (as easily as I could on the Curve). [Yes I realize if I go into Contacts I can use the landscape mode, but not when I'm in Phone mode!]
    4. It's just too "delicate" of a phone, I'm always afraid of damaging the screen by suppressing it while it's in my pocket or something.
    5. It's a little heavier than the Curve.
    6. Did I mention how much it blows to type on a touch screen keyboard?
    7. It's not REALLY a touch screen, they just replaced the track ball with some areas that you can touch.
    8. The camera SUCKS to use, it's a two stage picture. And, to take a pic of yourself, you have to press the touchscreen, on the opposite side of the phone, so you have no tactile response to know if you're finger is in the correct place for taking a picture.

I'm sure there's more cause I'm really not liking this, however, there ARE some positives.

1. The "swipe" thing is cool
    2. The browser window is bigger and better
    3. Chicks seem to dig it for some reason, and it's cool to say you've got the newest phone.
    The calendar thing I have also had issues with. The thing is you can also use the swipe feature when using the calendar and the keyboard is on, but still you get about an inch, maybe less.

The camera thing is a bit easier than you have been doing. If you press the button on the right side of the phone, it will activate the camera (unless you changed it) and if you press it again it will take a picture. BUT you have to stand still and there is no little mirror built in that you can look at to see if you have your face or a half of it.

The plusses I agree with, especially the last one . It looks like an updated/better iPhone, and it has the BB name backing it.

EDIT: also agree with the slow response. Its like a lazy person deciding on whether to get up, but eventually does.

In addition, anyone else hear about them upgrading the Storm? That Verizon will be releasing a new one soon?
    Last edited by nemo-maritime; 02-17-09 at 09:44 PM.
    02-17-09 09:41 PM
    I do have my sidekey set to open the camera, which sucks when I have it in landscape mode and I'm typing and accidently hit the key. You can't convince me the camera is acceptable if I have to figure out tips and tricks to using it.

Also, chicks digging a phone isn't a good reason for me to keep it. I need it to work WHEN I need it to work, even if it's not the latest "Coolest" technology.
    02-17-09 10:09 PM
    It's a pretty good phone.

I honestly don't think it is anything special.
    If RIM spent more time on it and Verizon didn't force it out the doors, I think it could have been great.

If Verizon gets the new HTC touch pro 2, Omnia HD or something nice like that, I might be paying full retail for a new phone.

It is currently the best phone for Verizon; and if you are stuck with Verizon like I am, then it is the way to go.
    Last edited by Jdane07; 02-17-09 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Mistakes
    02-17-09 10:15 PM
    try it out. u got a couple weeks to return it if u dont like
    02-18-09 12:36 AM
    I bought this over the iPhone because I do heavy email and texting for work! The iPhone is a nightmare to type on and the email is not so good.
    I have to say that I absolutely love the Storm!!! It does everything I need it to do plus more! After typing 15 emails for work in the morining before I hit the gym and listen to SLACKER while working out shows the versatility of this phone. Work and play... You can do it all from this phone. Internet is great. No hang ups with this phone at all. I recommend it over the iPhone all around!
    02-18-09 12:45 AM
    This is my first blackberry. I've had Palm phones and just about every phone Verizon offered..Voyagers, Dares, Envys, Venus's. I was VERY leary about getting the Storm.

It has been an adventure but the great thing about this phone and the software is that is evolves. There is something new or fun almost everyday. You get used to maintenance like memory cleaning and "quick pull". It's very addictive and there are so many features that make it just too good to downgrade or change so far. It does take a few days to acclimate to but there are very fine, knowledgeable people here to answer any questions you have so you're not taking the journey by yourself. Thanks everyone!
    02-18-09 12:54 AM
    Right - well in this instance, the gap between the glass and the screen let dust under the glass - obsucuring the right side of my screen.

I have an early Canadian built - apparently this is less common in the later ones - or the Mexican built Storms.

Thanks, I just kept on going with what I could remember. The dust issue, I'm thinking if it could/would be an issue as a result of the space between the screen and the edges - my "light leak" issue. I usually just keep mine in my pocket, and I know I have dust in some of those pockets . Hope this is not something common
    02-18-09 11:53 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD