I have the Curve 8330 and i do everything on it. My blackberry is my life. Its time for me to get an upgrade, I have been thinking about the storm now for a few months, but I have heard really bad things about it and the way it runs. Should I get one and see for myself or wait until the Tour comes out?
    05-14-09 09:12 AM
    Wait for the Tour--it's a NNOOOO brainer. If you'vehad a Curve and you like it, you will kick yourself to no end with the Storm.

Plus, once the Tour comes out, go ahead and get the Storm then cause of the 30 day return policy, if you don't like it, you KNOW you'll like the Tour. If you get the Storm now, you're stuck with that POS.
    05-14-09 09:15 AM
    I also had a curve like yourself and waited about 2 months after the storm was released to get into it. In 6 months with the phone I had 3 phones replaced. I actually yesterday went back to the curve until either the Tour comes out or something better I like. I think there was way to much going on with that phone. It was slow and no one ever new when the supposed software update was coming out to supposedly fix all the problems. I would stay with the curve until the next new phone comes out.
    05-14-09 09:17 AM
    I was in the same situation. I bought the storm and put os .132 on it and it's been a dream. It works great, I love everything about it.

Don't let the naysayers get you down. Try it for yourself. You have 30 days to return it.
    05-14-09 09:22 AM
    I'd get the storm- for all the "problems" that have been reported, it's actually a good phone. I think many people get without having tried a bb before and they struggle with the menu system. I would suggest you get it and give a try. Verizon gives you a 30day trial period.
    05-14-09 09:24 AM
    For a non-bias answer, something you dont see often as you can see, what do you need a BlackBerry for? Do you use email/messaging/IM/Phone a lot? Or do you like Video/Music/IM more?

If you do messaging more, I'd stick with a Curve for now, and recommend you try the 9630. Its a solid device, the keypad works very well, its snappy (especially on the latest builds), and has a great screen.

If you want to do video/music more, then I suggest you try the storm. It works very well with the latest OS's that you can find on the site here.
    05-14-09 09:28 AM
    i've had the storm since Christmas and i've only had it replaced once due to a charging issue. I love it but if you're the type of person that NEEDS a keyboard then hold out for the Tour/Niagara
    05-14-09 09:30 AM
    I've had it since launch and recently had the official .122 update loaded. There are a lot of pros and cons with this unit. As the others have said, wait til the Tour drops, try out the storm and then the Tour since you have 30 days.

I personally would prefer an actual keyboard, but I learned to type fairly quickly with the Storm.
    05-14-09 09:33 AM
    Its like this. Think to yourself do i enjoy clicking buttons or placing my finger on a 2 times as large screen seeing a key light up and then clicking once i know its the correct key. The storm will not steer you wrong. Their is enough support here and else where that will keep you from saying its a POS. Go storm if you like touch screen ideas if you like buttons because its more classic the just wait.
    05-14-09 09:35 AM
    I have had a storm since it first came out and the only time its been replaced is when i dropped it in the snow.

Other than that i have had no problems with my phone and i have learned to type on it almost as fast if not faster than when i had my curve. one thing you will really enjoy is the full screen at your disposal for pictures email, videos, internet etc. thats one thing i really love about it.

all in all its a learning curve. make sure you head over to the how to part of the storm forum to get some tips on how to make it run better
    05-14-09 10:05 PM
    Get the storm. It's a solid device one you update the OS to one of the leaks.
    05-14-09 10:22 PM
    i just got one, they seem interesting....hope i can become a better user.
    check out the tips and tricks section
    05-14-09 10:39 PM
    Wait for the storm 2.
    05-14-09 11:20 PM
    Storm 2!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-14-09 11:45 PM
    I would wait for the 2nd model or one of the other phones due to be released. You will kick yourself if you dont.
    05-15-09 12:00 AM
    Its always hard to take one person's word over another especially when it comes to making a pricey investment in a tech device. I went from an 8330 to a Storm recently.

I absolutely loved my Curve and was planning to get the Storm on launch but decided to give it some time and I always kept up on the Storm forums here along with the Curve Forums.

I picked up a used Storm off Craigslist and have not had a single problem. I lucked out because the previous owner took excellent care of it. I knew what to expect and what I needed to do once i got the phone and I couldn't be happier.

My advice is to play with someone's Storm, if you know of anyone, with updated software .132 or higher and try for yourself. Of course you can just pick one up and set it up during the 30 days too.

Point of the story is know what you are getting into, know what you need to do to get it to run great, and use the forums to your advantage and utilize all the knowledge here.

Good Luck!
    Sorry so long
    05-15-09 01:04 AM
    iam also thinking of getting the storm.....within the next week or so...heard alot of good and bad things but iam sure theres more good to it than bad. i will try the storm for myslef and give my opinion. goodbye samsung omnia!!
    05-15-09 01:59 AM
    I've had my Storm for over a week now and love it. I've had both the 8830 and 8330 and the Storm is by far the best phone I've ever owned. I live on this phone and I havent encountered one problem yet. If I have one complaint it would be the gap between the screen and the housing. I'm a clean freak and I dont like the idea of all that dust going in there. After getting this phone, I now feel like I can do everything from it. I rarely even touch my laptop anymore.
    05-15-09 07:54 AM
    I have had the storm for almost 2 months now and i am loving it.... I came for the Palm Treo 755e which i liked but defintely didnt want another one.

After 2 years with that phone i decided to try a BB Storm and i am extremely happy with my decision.
    This phone is noticiably faster than my palm was and the email capability (which BBs are know for) is great. I dont think i can own anything but a BB.

Hooked!
    05-15-09 08:04 AM
    Set you prioritize on what you want your bb. You want a physical keyboard, then it is better to get the curve or wait for the Tour, which should be coming out this year, hopefully. But if you have strong interest in the storm well; try it and see if you like it.

The storm is very good smartphone, but no matter how good a device is; if you are not comfortable with using it. There is no point of keeping it.
    05-15-09 08:24 AM
    My concern about this whole thread is this:

"I'm happy with my Storm, now that I've ________". Insert how you compensate for the Storm's deficiencies here.

If you want a blackberry that works out of the box, do not buy the Storm. If you are ready to live with it's limitations, especially the lag and the need to run a beta OS to get speed and stability, then go for it.

Do you want your phone to be your tool or your hobby?

Do you want to be standing there, possibly for many seconds, waiting for your phone to react to you? That's life with the Storm.

05-15-09 08:47 AM
    As I always tell everyone PLAY with the phone first before you run out and buy something that you might end up hating.
    05-15-09 08:47 AM
    The 30 day worry free trial is your best friend. Use the phone for 30 days. Only you can make the final decision.
    05-15-09 09:54 AM
    The 30 day worry free trial is your best friend. Use the phone for 30 days. Only you can make the final decision.
    this is it.

the way the storm operate and clicks, you either love it or hate it. I love it WAYYY more than physical keyboards, but i was never a bb user before this... tried a curve and a pearl flip and could not cope with them to save my life (couldnt deal with trackball, small screen, keyboard etc)

But if youre really enjoying physical keyboards, it might be tricky for you to adapt to the point where it feels natural. Try it out and if it isnt for you, don't sweat it. Definitely a love it or hate it kind of device
    05-15-09 09:56 AM
    You're absolutely right.
    To be fair, I didn't use that 30 days well. My moment of honesty came later. lol
    I've grown to dislike it. If I had the option of tapping to type, � la iPhone, and quickly, that would help a lot.

My personal test is over, btw. The iPhone went back to Best Buy today.
    But I did like typing on it. It's like it was reading my mind.

05-15-09 02:14 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD