As much as I like the Storm because of its very nice build quality and wonderful screen I am thinking about ditching it. I can tolerate the GUI lag but I can't get over the keyboard lag! People were talking about waiting for the click holding up the WPM, no! It is the SLOW software.

So I went to the ATT store and the guy offered me 15% off my monthly bill for the duration of my contract and he would turn the rebates on the Bold into instant rebates to get me to go with ATT.

The Bold doesn't have anywhere near the build quality of the Storm but it is so much faster! The camera is instant!

Looking for advice.
    12-15-08 10:41 PM
    i think most people would say the build quality of the bold far surpasses the storm... the storm's build quality has proven disasterous. some click, some dont, some have a huge gap, some dont, some need paper to fix them, some dont. some have loose woobly screen, some dont. some have loose send/end buttons, some dont.

i havent heard of these issues with the bold. i still prefer the storm over the bold.

i agree the typing on the storm sucks, i hate the typing on the storm. the slow rebound is an issue, but yes, the software cant keep up and thats the biggest issue.
    12-15-08 10:46 PM
    I'd make sure ATT has good service in your area, I'm not sure if you've looked into it, but they don't have 3G coverage in a significant portion of their network.
    12-15-08 10:46 PM
    Have you guys upgraded to the newest software? I was under the impression that this was fixed already with the update.
    12-15-08 10:58 PM
    Yes, I am on .75. The lights the illuminate where your fingers are lag where my actual figure are... They are always a few keys behind what I am actually typing... Bringing up special characters invokes a nice lag period, ect.
    12-15-08 11:00 PM
    I'd make sure ATT has good service in your area, I'm not sure if you've looked into it, but they don't have 3G coverage in a significant portion of their network.
    Do double check your coverage with AT&T. I'm on the verge of a EDGE and 3G network at work and my damn AT&T phones constantly switch between EDGE and 3G...not only do you get dropped calls but battery life suffers greatly.

I love the Bold. I think the fit & finish, the keyboard, the screen, the amazing speed of the device is wonderful. AT&T just sucks a load of horse sh*t in my area.

I should also mention, my Storm does not lag when I type (blue highlights and all). I'm getting used to the screen and can type pretty fast on it now
    Last edited by TheFarmer; 12-15-08 at 11:09 PM.
    12-15-08 11:06 PM
    Yes, I am on .75. The lights the illuminate where your fingers are lag where my actual figure are... They are always a few keys behind what I am actually typing... Bringing up special characters invokes a nice lag period, ect.
    Your right. The design of the clicking screen was a bad choice. They should have used a normal touchscreen. Not only does it feel cheap...but it slows down the performance.
    12-15-08 11:06 PM
    I'll trade you my verizon curve for your bad storm.
    12-15-08 11:09 PM
    please do it and then report back on life post the storm
    Your right. The design of the clicking screen was a bad choice. They should have used a normal touchscreen. Not only does it feel cheap...but it slows down the performance.
    The click is not a complaint I have against the phone. I like it.
    I seem to have gotten one of the few Storms where the hardware works out of the box. The software, not so much. I saw no difference from .65 to .75 upgrade.
    Everyday since I got my Storm I've gone back and forth about returning it. I'm most worried about what's waiting for us a year down the road with debris getting under the screen. Since technically that's not a manufacturing defect, I expect any fallout from that won't be covered by BB or VZ, and since I'm not a corporate customer, eating repair/replacement cost is an issue for me.
    Truth be told, I would've gotten an iPhone years ago if AT&T wasn't such a lousy mobile company. I was hoping the Storm would be the best of both worlds, but alas. Interesting to hear the potential for a deal from AT&T to get me to switch...
    12-15-08 11:19 PM
    I love the phone, I think i lucked out with mine, no click problem, no lag, no loose buttons, so far nothing wrong. It was slow when I first got it but after the upgrade this thing has been awesome. It makes studying a breeze and keeping track of class and work schedules easier. A lot of my friends Iphone it up but I played with one and it just seems like it is nothing but a MP3/PSP handheld that also happens to be a phone. As far as the click screen goes I have never typed so fast on a phone before and this is after toying around with my dads Bold. The Storm is an acquired taste, but it does everything I need it to do.
    12-15-08 11:21 PM
    I love the phone, I think i lucked out with mine, no click problem, no lag, no loose buttons, so far nothing wrong. It was slow when I first got it but after the upgrade this thing has been awesome. It makes studying a breeze and keeping track of class and work schedules easier. A lot of my friends Iphone it up but I played with one and it just seems like it is nothing but a MP3/PSP handheld that also happens to be a phone. As far as the click screen goes I have never typed so fast on a phone before and this is after toying around with my dads Bold. The Storm is an acquired taste, but it does everything I need it to do.
    How can yours have no lag and everyone else's be full of lag?
    12-15-08 11:22 PM
    I had a Storm, I now have a Bold.

OP, make the switch, you WONT regret it
    12-15-08 11:27 PM

?? We have no lag on either of our storms either - especially when typing
    12-15-08 11:29 PM
    ?? We have no lag on either of our storms either - especially when typing
    Hmmmm.......... Maybe I should get a replacement.
    12-15-08 11:34 PM
    i dunno. im on my second one and its still laggy. u must be one of the lucky few
    12-16-08 12:26 AM
    As much as I like the Storm because of its very nice build quality and wonderful screen I am thinking about ditching it. I can tolerate the GUI lag but I can't get over the keyboard lag! People were talking about waiting for the click holding up the WPM, no! It is the SLOW software.

So I went to the ATT store and the guy offered me 15% off my monthly bill for the duration of my contract and he would turn the rebates on the Bold into instant rebates to get me to go with ATT.

The Bold doesn't have anywhere near the build quality of the Storm but it is so much faster! The camera is instant!

Looking for advice.
    Let me know how that camera works for you when the only thing you can do is take pictures because you don't have any service.
    12-16-08 12:46 AM
    i kind of agree with you. I love my Storm but i kind of miss buttons and though i dont have too many issues the ones i do have i can live with them. On a side note i will be returning my Storm in a couple days and switching over to ATT to get the Bold. The storm is a damn good device. Best texting touch screen phone there is and of course its a blackberry so it has all those other things. Gets kind of annoying that there arent all those shortcuts that i am used to on my curve. Like just typing a name and having it search your phone book for the contact. When they release it for ATT i will eventually get another one but for now i'm going Bold.
    12-16-08 12:46 AM
    it lags on everyphone ive seen. maybe you type slow enough where its not noticable.
    12-16-08 01:09 AM
    95% of the time my Storm has no lag also, it's a great phone
    12-16-08 01:15 AM
    wow AT&T is giving you a discount and instant rebates? Nice to know, we've been w/ them almost three years, the last 10 months we've been out of contract and they are doing not a thing to keep us. So tomorrow we head to Best Buy to pick up or Storms where we'll get a nice discount on the plan courtesy of the company my friend works for.
    12-16-08 01:37 AM
    it lags on everyphone ive seen. maybe you type slow enough where its not noticable.
    I have been sending out SMS & Emails left and right ever since I got the phone, typing fast on this thing is a breeze. Like anything, practice makes perfect. I had an Alias before this and I hated how my monster thumbs would hit more than one button but with the Storm, typing is a thousand times better! The auto correct feature is great. As far as lag, the .75 upgrade took care of that.
    12-16-08 01:49 AM

Looking for advice.
    People.... Just go if you're not happy you don't have to tell us about every little piece of your life. Thats what twitter is for (and why I've never been there).
    12-16-08 02:27 AM
    I got my replacement a couple of weeks ago due to screen problem, but the replacement is amazing. I only have lag about 5% of the time. When i type the blue light follows my touch every sec (no lag what so ever!). For the person who said the light lag 1 letter behind, check your screen, you might have an OEM stock screen protector from RIM and then you put another after marker screen protector on it. I did that and mine was lagging 1 letter behind. I took both off and put on a single screen protector and that took care of the light lagging behind my touch. Hope that helps
    12-16-08 02:56 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD