I've been watching some CES demonstration videos, most notably the Palm Pre Demonstration and I'm absolutely impressed.

I'd really like it if RIM went the extra mile and brought such capabilities to the Storm. It's capable of everything that some of these other devices are capable of. Do you guys think the current UI is the best Storm users can hope to expect from the Storm, or do you think RIM has something big in store for the Storm?

It's been a major success has it not? I'd love it if they really pulled out all the stops for this device. I love my Storm, but I'd be lying to myself if I claimed I didn't want the amazing features and capabilities on the Storm that I see on the Palm Pre.
    01-08-09 07:54 PM
    What would you like to see?
    01-08-09 07:55 PM
    the current UI isn't even a month and a half old....why change it now? I like it, it looks sleek IMO
    01-08-09 07:57 PM

In a nutshell, I'd like to see this in the worst way imaginable.

I LOVE my Storm, but it would be great if RIM were planning to go with this kind of stuff. It would be a shame if they went as far as they did to create a device as capable as they did, but weren't planning on really taking advantage of the hardware. First time ever BlackBerry owner so I'm not sure if what I'm asking for is unreasonable since I have no way to judge their track record, but I'd like to see RIM compete, and compete in a big way, against the kind of cool stuff I'm seeing from other competing devices.

I don't hate the UI, in fact I like it a lot. But I can't be the only one that looks at stuff like in that video I posted up top and think "Oh man... I wish I had that on this device here" It's definitely capable enough to pull that stuff off.

Yea the UI is still young, but I'd like it if I knew RIM had it planned at some point to give the UI a big overhaul to compete with what their competitors are doing.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 01-08-09 at 08:02 PM.
    01-08-09 07:59 PM
    I believe it's the other devices that need to compete with RIM. RIM is dominate in the smartphone market, even with apple trying to steal some of its market share. Palm will be Palm, I don't see many BB users ever switching.
    01-08-09 08:04 PM
    that's the thing though. I'd love to have some things from the iPhone...some things from your average WinMo phone...some things from the G1......but unless you're rollin in dough that's just not possible. You just have to take what's better over all and deal with the stuff you don't have in the time being.
    01-08-09 08:08 PM

Switch to 2:40 and check out the browser... that's just amazing I think. The browser is an area where RIM needs to improve things on the Storm and just check those zoom features. I'm going to be happy with my Storm for quite sometime, but Palm definitely did a fantastic job on their new device it seems.
    01-08-09 08:09 PM
    I'm not gonna lie, I really don't see what the problem is with RIM's browser.....it's not the prettiest out there but it's nice, efficient, doesn't crash, and works. Maybe I'm crazy for liking simple things....i dunno.
    01-08-09 08:12 PM
    Their browser works, but there is no denying it needs to become even better. The device is definitely capable of much better.

I know the OS will receive massive attention and, as such, so will their apps, but I'd like it if they worked on really amplifying the overall experience and they can do just that if they do some of what Palm is doing. Forget the Iphone, I like what I see here far more. If I didn't already have my Storm, I'd definitely be tempted by that new Palm, but I'd still go with the Storm anyway because I have high hopes for the potential.

It's totally out of the question now that I have my Storm, but can't blame me for wishing that the Storm will one day have such capabilities.

Wow this thing is just unbelievable.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 01-08-09 at 08:22 PM.
    01-08-09 08:19 PM
    Their browser works, but there is no denying it needs to become even better. The device is definitely capable of much better.

I know the OS will receive massive attention and, as such, so will their apps, but I'd like it if they worked on really amplifying the overall experience and they can do just that if they do some of what Palm is doing. Forget the Iphone, I like what I see here far more. If I didn't already have my Storm, I'd definitely be tempted by that new Palm, but I'd still go with the Storm anyway because I have high hopes for the potential.

It's totally out of the question now that I have my Storm, but can't blame me for wishing that the Storm will one day have such capabilities.

Wow this thing is just unbelievable.

If a Palm on SPRINT is worth more than anything on Verizon you've gone crazy....that thing will be on Verizon within a few months of release because there's no way sprint sells enough to keep exclusivity.
    01-08-09 08:24 PM
    The pre looks pretty good. But it is a pretty big wish for RIM to completely change their OS doesn't phone. Maybe on the Storm 2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 08:26 PM
    I didn't see anything in that video that really made me go "oooh, I want that" other than flick scrolling. I'm sure it's nice, but I don't see what makes it so special? And as I've mentioned in other posts, I think it looks awful...I would be embarrassed to be seen with it.

I did, however, learn something new about the Storm while watching the video. I was admiring the ability to swipe your finger to scroll through photos and then I discovered that I could do that on the Storm...lol!

BTW, I wonder who named that thing? What were they thinking of? Premature ejaculation?
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 01-08-09 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Additonal comment
    01-08-09 08:28 PM
    Chuck there was plenty in the video's I posted to go "oooh, I want that" to. At least there was for me. They showed off an unbelievable OS and UI, they've done a bang up job with the thing.

No way, this phone is way too capable for them to wait for the Storm 2, to big with the OS.

It's just unbelievable how things work out sometimes. This is the device that was expected to be the beez knees and then we've got this wacko surprise out of palm. I've not remotely tempted by the Iphone, aside from it's browser, but this Palm makes me want to make a big charge to my credit card to get it lol

Alas, I'll be satisfied with what RIM does, but they must realize that they've got to step up. No way they couldn't have had a more ambitious vision for the Storm than what we're seeing now. Damn this sucks! Not the phone, but that the Palm OS looks so damn amazing and my device doesn't lol.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 01-08-09 at 08:49 PM.
    01-08-09 08:43 PM
    The Storm interface is nothing more then a Bold colored interface with touch control built into it. That's it. I'm sorry to say that when it comes to "revolutionary" thinking... RIM is not a company that comes to mind. They are too far set into their old ways of "4 walls, a few windows, and a door" purpose build. They don't really have a lot of vision in terms of thinking outside the box. The screen press is handy, but it's not really "that revolutionary" if you just think about it. I think it'll take a bunch of new people at RIM's design department for them to come out with something really special. RIM will always be the business suits in design, whereas some of these other companies like Apple and Palm have the crative kids in the basement with crayons in hand. RIM's creative kids wear Penny Loafers and Oxford Ties... not exactly "on-edge" creativity.
    01-08-09 08:49 PM
    The Storm interface is nothing more then a Bold colored interface with touch control built into it. That's it. I'm sorry to say that when it comes to "revolutionary" thinking... RIM is not a company that comes to mind. They are too far set into their old ways of "4 walls, a few windows, and a door" purpose build. They don't really have a lot of vision in terms of thinking outside the box. The screen press is handy, but it's not really "that revolutionary" if you just think about it. I think it'll take a bunch of new people at RIM's design department for them to come out with something really special. RIM will always be the business suits in design, whereas some of these other companies like Apple and Palm have the crative kids in the basement with crayons in hand. RIM's creative kids wear Penny Loafers and Oxford Ties... not exactly "on-edge" creativity.
    too funny and really well said!
    01-08-09 08:53 PM
    user interface on that palm phone is amazing, as much as i like my storm, palm made our phone feel like its years behind. i mean just look at something as simple as phone book, storm's looks 90% as it did on my 7130.. and your asking if rim has something major for us in store?

how can they add anything new when they are still fixing things that should be working from day one..
    01-08-09 09:07 PM
    You know when you see that new pretty toy that does something better than your toy? I feel like that right now lol.

Damn it, guess I'll just have to suck it up. I can't believe Palm, of all companies, have got me going crazy like this. The good thing about the Storm is that it's fully capable of housing whatever new OS that RIM might decide to go with down the road. I won't mind what RIM does as long as they don't try to screw us over by putting some new fancy OS on another device and leave us Storm owners hanging. If they were to do that, I'd definitely never get another RIM device again.

I'd be too hurt from the massive burn I received from the Storm.

Michal, seriously... They made our phone look like it was made, literally, 5 years ago. How does this happen lol. Damn Palm. Gotta give them credit though, they are unbelievable. They could have very well put themselves back on the map. It now comes down to exactly how many will find out that phone's capabilities?

lol you guys should see me now. I have this really ticked off look as I'm glancing and going through my Storm. How can one be so quickly robbed of the image of seeing their device as the latest and greatest thing? I expected that NOTHING, and I mean nothing, would be able to impress me enough at CES to threaten the impression of my Storm.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 01-08-09 at 09:14 PM.
    01-08-09 09:07 PM
    RIM has to walk kind of a fine line... On the one hand, they'd probably love to be able to make a bunch of sweeping changes to the OS, but that would likely break apps and make a lot of people angry. People, as a general rule, do not like change. You get Mac users who act like the world is coming to an end because Apple moves something 1 pixel from where it was in the last release.

It also costs money to pay developers to write all that code, then there's all the testing involved... If there's ever an OS 4.8 for the Storm, I'd expect it to be a bit more of a touch oriented OS, but not so much that it would be completely unrecognizable.

If RIM were to do something like this, their best bet would be to create a whole new brand, so as not to damage the very good reputation Blackberry has. But of course that too is quite expensive and easier said than done.

As the road warrior types start retiring and turning in their Blackberries, it will give RIM a freer hand to start tinkering with the OS, but that's not really going to do us much good.

It's a double edged sword really... On the one hand, we benefit from 4.7 being based on 4.5 which is a fairly stable and mature foundation. So there aren't any serious bugs with the Storm's OS, mostly issues with creature comforts like sluggish performance. On the other hand, it means there's less room for innovation and experimentation. So pick your poison. Stable OS that has a kind of retrofitted feel, or a not so stable OS that will one day have lots of cool whiz bang features when it matures.
    01-08-09 09:09 PM
    Long-time lurker, just now posting.

I'm tending to keep my Storm (hadn't ported my number to it yet, though), but this Palm Pre demonstration increased the doubts I already had. Not that I will get it. There's no way I'd buy a phone without global roaming, and that's also the reason I'm so hesitating in porting my number and getting stuck with a two-year contract with Verizon, since they don't have other good options with global GSM/UMTS offer. But the amazing showcase of the Pre just highlighted how much behind the Storm OS is in terms of taking full advantage of its potential. It would be nice if RIM could advance the ball with a major revamp of the OS, but I don't count on it, since they seem to have already some hard time trying to just make it stable. Still, one can only hope they take the decision to copy someone else's good ideas.
    01-08-09 09:09 PM
    I absolutely regret I ever watched those youtube videos lol.

Sorry for posting them here guys

At least Obama has a BlackBerry too. That thought helps me handle this better
    01-08-09 09:19 PM
    I don't think the actual UI is going to be that big of an issue for the Storm once themes make it out, but I certainly would like to see more use of the touch screen in future OS builds. It seems to me that features like momentum scrolling and pinch zooming should be top on the list to add into future builds, I just don't see how RIM could consider not expanding the use of the touch screen interface. The OS seems beta-like in its current builds, so I don't think it would be too much to hope for that these kinds of things could start popping up within the next few months as the devs iron out some of the kinks in the OS.
    01-08-09 09:21 PM
    user interface on that palm phone is amazing, as much as i like my storm, palm made our phone feel like its years behind. i mean just look at something as simple as phone book, storm's looks 90% as it did on my 7130.. and your asking if rim has something major for us in store?

how can they add anything new when they are still fixing things that should be working from day one..
    LMFAO gullible gullible gullible....you see a pretty presentation and now you want a palm...lmao
    has the shiny new palm been released to the public? are you positive that it will function as advertised?
    no to all of the above.....you are just easily impressed by shiny objects...
    which one of you geniuses that want a palm have had one in their hands and tested it?
    i can probably whip together a presentation about cow patties and sell it to you
    remember how awsome windows Me looked when it was presented? Vista anybody?...
    01-08-09 09:26 PM
    In case there was any confusion how palm managed to surprise everyone with the pre, HTC is now in charge of building their phones. You can see a family resemblance here especially. Plus there already a ton of doubts that this phone can save palm by syncing up with an ailing carrier. Dumb move on their part but no doubt though theyll most likely have sprints undivided attention for promotion and additional development of features. So maybe not such a dumb move after all.

Saw the post above and had to edit. GO EAGLES BABY!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dmahoney94; 01-08-09 at 09:37 PM.
    01-08-09 09:31 PM
    Palm died a long time ago. Just look, they started installed MS OS on their devices. That is basically throwing in the towel
    01-08-09 09:36 PM
    I've used a Palm, but that's besides the point. That OS is just flat out unbelievable. It's more than just fancy presentation. It's a very efficient and intelligent design that actually has a positive impact on the usability of the device.

If this was simply a matter of something shiny and a fancy presentation, I honestly wouldn't care. The Iphone looks fancy too, but what I saw in those videos is bordering on revolutionary.

This is nothing of much importance, but they pulled a CNN style election map zoom in and zoom out haha. Rather nice touch to be honest. The synergy stuff and how they handled the navigation between windows and currently runing apps was unbelievable. It's an amazingly intuitive OS design.
    01-08-09 09:37 PM
147 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD