I've decided after 8 years of being a Blackberry user that it is time to move on to an actual droid style phone instead of trying to make my Storm 2 be one. I now own the Droid X and I can say with all honesty that it blows away the Storm 2 by creating an even bigger storm. This is the ultimate in cellular technology. Here are just a few of the perks:

1 GHZ processor
    Open source Android Operating system
    A very accurate voice search and voice dialer
    A speech to text converter that convert your voice to words for texting, email and general notes.
    I had always thought that Cell phone browsers were just going to be slower than there PC counterparts. I was very wrong. The droid browser is actually faster then my macbook pro browser.
    4.3 inch display compared to a 3.5 inch display
    Loud speakerphone and three microphones for noise canceling.
    7 completely customizable home screens
    Thousands of free apps
    Full Flash support coming in early fall
    Up to 32GB of media storage
    Nice large virtual keyboard with tactile feedback like a real keyboard and pop up letters when you type
    Will play virtually any video format you can load into the phone
    8MP camera for incredible images
    720P HD video camcorder

The biggest problem is trying to find one. They are sold out at all of the Verizon stores. I got mine from a direct dealer who sold me his personal phone. He was going to move over to the Droid 2, he wanted the physical keyboard.

You are probably saying why did you do it.? Well like you I got tired of all of the work arounds to make my Storm 2 work for me. My storm would freeze up at lest once a day to where I had to pull the battery. But the clincher was when RIM announced that OS6 would not be available for the Storm 2. Also that the Storm 2 was being phased out for the Storm 3, which apparently has been delayed again. So I decided to leave BB for Android and based on my short but awesome experiences with the Droid X, I doubt that I will ever go back.
    08-20-10 04:25 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you. But on the other hand BB OS is very easy to use and navigate. Unwanted apps can be uninstalled without rooting the phone. Creating folders for apps is easy as 1-2-3. BBM is a great feature since you can use it anywhere and not get roaming charges. 9550 is a world phone, droid isn't as of right now.

OS5 allows up to 32gb of storage as well.

I do want a Droid2 for better web experience but android phones are known to have poor battery life. Worse then the S2.

After thinking about it for a few days, I'm gonna wait until end of this year and see what comes out of RIM before I do anything.

My BB still freezes from time to time but so doesn't the Droid. I haven't done any battery pulls lately but I've been busy and I don't have time to do much on my phone. And I love surepress.
    08-20-10 04:31 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you. But on the other hand BB OS is very easy to use and navigate. Unwanted apps can be uninstalled without rooting the phone. What do you need to uninstall on an Android phone without rooting? Creating folders for apps is easy as 1-2-3. Creating folders is actually easier on Android. BBM is a great feature since you can use it anywhere and not get roaming charges. Assuming that everyone that you message has a blackberry. 9550 is a world phone, droid isn't as of right now. World version of Droid 2 rumored to drop in September.

OS5 allows up to 32gb of storage as well. Yes, but the Droid supports Apps2sd.

I do want a Droid2 for better web experience but android phones are known to have poor battery life. Worse then the S2. Another user just commented favorably on the extended battery for the Droid 2, maybe worth taking a look at.

After thinking about it for a few days, I'm gonna wait until end of this year and see what comes out of RIM before I do anything.

My BB still freezes from time to time but so doesn't the Droid. I haven't done any battery pulls lately but I've been busy and I don't have time to do much on my phone. And I love surepress.
    And the surepress thing...well.
    Last edited by JumpShot; 08-20-10 at 04:58 AM.
    08-20-10 04:56 AM
    And the surepress thing...well.
    From what I have been reading some stock apps like amazon mp3, city ID, myvzw, and all those useless apps cannot be uninstalled unless rooted.

I use BBM a lot more then SMS since A ton of people are on BB. Not everyone but a majority of the people I text are on BBM.

Actually I was reading on the extended battery for the D2 which was my concern with a Android and seems like it got good reviews from 95% of the people that bought it. Very few did not like it which I assume they did not do the proper charge cycles.

That is also why I said by the end of the year, I'll make my choice of either leaving BB or going to Droid. When the global comes out, I'll take a stab at that. But would also like to see what RIM is doing.
    08-20-10 07:04 AM
    YAY! another "why droid is better than blackberry" post! -_-
    08-20-10 07:13 AM
    I'm still waiting for a real reason to jump ship.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 08:06 AM
    YAY! another post complaining about another "why droid is better than blackberry" post!
    08-20-10 08:09 AM
    I am very close to going droid also. Lets face it, VZW BB users have been left out in the cold from an OS6 perspective. Choose whatever platform you like, but if your belief is that RIM caN outperform Android in the market, you are simply in denial.

Considering the wireless mkt in the US os saturated, most Android adopters are coming from another platform. And in many cases it is BB. There will be RIM loyalists but they will dwindle over time.

08-20-10 09:08 AM
    My Storm 2 only froze once since I'v had it for 2-3 months now, and that was because I had a bunch of Apps running with music playing and tried to load the Camera. I don`t know how people say their Storm freezes a lot, mine is solid.

My friend got a Samsung Galaxy S a couple weeks ago and Droid locked up and crashed on him 6 times already.
    We also agreed the Droid operating system, flashy, fancy and inefficient is aimed at people with very short attention spans rather than getting something done quickly. We also thought all the ridiculous randomized bright colors in the icons and menus to be suitable for 12 year old Japanese school girls or someone on there way to Gay Pride, not real Men.
    SurePress is also more manly using the phone as apposed to the i-Phone touch style where you have to wave your finger around like a pink fairy waving a magic wand.
    Something about a big 300 pound man using a bright rainbow colored phone screen and waving his finger around like a dam fairy just screams awkward, and thats my friend with his Droid.
    08-20-10 09:23 AM
    We also agreed the Droid operating system, flashy, fancy and inefficient is aimed at people with very short attention spans rather than getting something done quickly. We also thought all the ridiculous randomized bright colors in the icons and menus to be suitable for 12 year old Japanese school girls or someone on there way to Gay Pride, not real Men.
    SurePress is also more manly using the phone as apposed to the i-Phone touch style where you have to wave your finger around like a pink fairy waving a magic wand.
    Something about a big 300 pound man using a bright rainbow colored phone screen and waving his finger around like a dam fairy just screams awkward,
    Wow, this is quite possibly the mosy offensive post I've ever read in here. Sounds like someone is dealing with some "man" issues! I'm glad that your blackberry makes you feel more "manly"
    08-20-10 09:29 AM
    I didn't`t realize Droids could be offended.
    I don`t see anything wrong with me pointing out the blatantly obvious rainbow colors they use. Not everyone is into neon colors and girly flash.

My own mother has a HTC Legend and she claims the colors are overboard gay, and shes a woman.

Yes, using the Storm 2 over and i-Phone - Droid makes me feel more manly.
    Just like if I was to use a pink phone I would feel like a woman.

I haven't met anyone in person that disagrees, and I know a lot of people with droids and iPhones.
    08-20-10 09:46 AM
    I didn't`t realize Droids could be offended.
    I don`t see anything wrong with me pointing out the blatantly obvious rainbow colors they use. Not everyone is into neon colors and girly flash.

My own mother has a HTC Legend and she claims the colors are overboard gay, and shes a woman.

Yes, using the Storm 2 over and i-Phone - Droid makes me feel more manly.
    Just like if I was to use a pink phone I would feel like a woman.

I haven't met anyone in person that disagrees, and I know a lot of people with droids and iPhones.
    My bad. I didn't realize that manhood was so closely associated with the phone you carry.
    08-20-10 09:49 AM
    My bad. I didn't realize that manhood was so closely associated with the phone you carry.
    I just fail to understand why homosexuals jump down peoples throat over `manly` comments.

Is it that big of a deal to mention the apparent feminine look and use of a phone and reject it?

Can`t even be a man these days without someone pointing their finger.
    08-20-10 09:58 AM
    My brother has shown me the light. I will probably pick up a droid. For one simple reason.

The entire phone will work on wifi only. You can get google voice for phone calls and SMS over wifi. So basically your $100 a month is only giving you 3g. I'm lucky and live in a college town so wifi is in most places here. I can have a BlackBerry and a android for one monthly fee and once I get a BlackBerry with mobile hot spot my android will always have connectivity. I'm in the market for a used droid x now lol

I just wish BlackBerry could do that. I wonder if android will change that some day. Cause of right now my brother has a full wifi only smart phone with no monthly fee. And a prepaid pos phone for emergencies. Seems like they would want to prevent people from doing that.

08-20-10 10:04 AM
    I was about to jump ship as well, until I found one problem, cannot use outside of the the US. I travel to Europe, the Caribiean and elsewhere that use only GSM. Droid does not have a Sim Card.

But wait, VZW is going to 4G by the end of the year and there will be upgrades to the Droid I have been told.

So, I will have to wait. But unless RIM has something better coming out and not the Torch, that is a joke, I am gone from BB.
    08-20-10 10:21 AM
    I was about to jump ship as well, until I found one problem, cannot use outside of the the US. I travel to Europe, the Caribiean and elsewhere that use only GSM. Droid does not have a Sim Card.

But wait, VZW is going to 4G by the end of the year and there will be upgrades to the Droid I have been told.

So, I will have to wait. But unless RIM has something better coming out and not the Torch, that is a joke, I am gone from BB.
    I am also waiting on a global Android to hit VZW. Not as worried about the 4g. Probably going to end up with the Droid Pro.
    08-20-10 10:59 AM
    I've decided after 8 years of being a Blackberry user that it is time to move on to an actual droid style phone instead of trying to make my Storm 2 be one. I now own the Droid X and I can say with all honesty that it blows away the Storm 2 by creating an even bigger storm. This is the ultimate in cellular technology. Here are just a few of the perks:

1 GHZ processor
    My X still lags and slows down.
    Open source Android Operating system
    Could be seen as both a plus and minus.
    A very accurate voice search and voice dialer
    The built in voice search can be hit or Miss. The Voice Dialer on the X (Nuance) is the same one used on phones by LG, RIM and others. However on the X there is a significant lag launching Nuance (via the Voice Command icon in the app drawer, or via the "double home" tap) before it is actually ready for you to "say a command...."
    A speech to text converter that convert your voice to words for texting, email and general notes.
    There is an app available for BB to do this (maybe it was free for only a limited time?)
    I had always thought that Cell phone browsers were just going to be slower than there PC counterparts. I was very wrong. The droid browser is actually faster then my macbook pro browser.
    I never used a Mac book Pro, so I can't say. But it is faster than the browser on my BB's running OS5, and probably is faster than OS6 devices too based on the videos floating around the web.
    4.3 inch display compared to a 3.5 inch display
    A plus to read because things are bigger, but not when you want to put in your pants pocket. The original Moto Droid has the same REZ screen as the X, but is slightly smaller, so it looks clearer/sharper. The INC is just slightly less (800x480 instead of 854x480) and it still looks a little more crisp. The X is also a little big for single handed use, especially using the power button to light the screen or swiping the notification bar down. Thankfully the HOME button can light the screen, and if at the home screen the menu button has a choice for "notifications"
    Loud speakerphone and three microphones for noise canceling.
    Noise canceling doesn't seem to be any better on my X than on my BB's or my INC. But yes, per moto's info i has 3 mic's, however Moto says "Dual microphone noise reduction" (at least per -> DROID X by Motorola - Android phone - HD phone - Tech Specs - Motorola USA)
    7 completely customizable home screens
    And that is a good thing because you can't customize the APP DRAWER at all You can't make folders or re-organize the app drawer to make things easier to find.
    Thousands of free apps
    What is the quality to quantity ratio? Also, considering I have a Moto Droid, HTC incredible and Droid X, all running Android 2.1, its surprising to find some apps that don't work across all three, yet they are available as downloads in Market for the phones. (example: Locale and some of its plug-ins don't work on the X, but do on the HTC INC)
    Full Flash support coming in early fall
    Yes, with the official and full arrival of Froyo for your phone model, whenever that maybe. The oroginal Droid got Froyo, but still doesn't officially have Flash yet. What are they waiting for? Oh and Adobe did say RIM was one of the phone vendors getting Flash, but we still don't know when yet.
    Up to 32GB of media storage
    Using MicroSD, which you can also do with Blackberries. Froyo brings proper Apps to SD. If you believe what you read in the leaked VZW device road maps, RIM will be getting this too. The X is also supposed to have "up 8 GB on board" but its not accessible to users for some reason.
    Nice large virtual keyboard with tactile feedback like a real keyboard and pop up letters when you type
    ..that takes up nearly the entire screen in landscape mode. When typing an email or text message using the stock MultiTouch qwerty keyboard, I see ONE LINE of text that also shares space with the SEND button when sending an SMS message in landscape. Same if I add and switch to the HTC_IME keyboard. On the Storm1 and 2 you can at least see a few lines of what you are typing at a time. (With Froyo on my X, I do see 3 lines at a time).
    Will play virtually any video format you can load into the phone
    As will my Storm2. In fact, my Storm2 will play every video my Droid X can play, PLUS they play MORE than my HTC Incredible. (Rockplayer looks promising for Android)
    8MP camera for incredible images
    I don't think they are that incredible. The 8MP camera on my HTC Incredible takes better pix than my X. To take a picture in "wide screen" mode on the X, it reduces to 5mp.
    720P HD video camcorder
    It may be 1280x720 resolution, but I wouldn't call it "HD" quality. When you move the camera the image gets wavey. Indoor videos look grainy and also kind of washed out (not as colorful/vibrant).

But the clincher was when RIM announced that OS6 would not be available for the Storm 2. Also that the Storm 2 was being phased out for the Storm 3, which apparently has been delayed again.
    RIM didn't annouce OS6 wouldn't be available for the Storm2, they just didn't announce that it would.

Did I miss the official announcement with a release date for the Storm3? Without that, why would you say its delayed?

Here are just a few other "good" features of android...

Meeting invites sent from Outlook or Lotus notes can not be accepted from inside Gmail on the Android device. You must remember the date/time, exit out of the message, navigate to that date/time on the calendar, open the appointment and accept/decline/tentative from there. (this is still the case on Moto Droid with official Froyo, or the Leaked Froyo for X that hit today). In BB you CAN do that right from the invite in your inbox.

In Android 2.1 you can't copy/paste from the gmail app or browser, unless you ROOT and install an add on app. On the X with the leaked Froyo, this is fixed, however, you have to hit Menu -> More -> Select Text... then tap/drag your finger. As soon as you lift your finger, it immediately copies to the clip board. No way to adjust your selection like you can with BB.

On a BB, you can have ALL email and messages (including SMS, MMS, Gtalk, BBM, etc), FB notifications, all show in a single combined inbox, with an "Unread" indicator and counter. You also have the option to have individual/separated inboxes for each account, each with its own Icon/unread indicator. Some like this, some don't, but you have a choice. On Android, you go into Gmail, and you have to "switch accounts" to see another gmail account inbox (On 2.1 you have to go into gmail, menu -> switch accounts -> click the account, in Froyo its go into gmail, and click up near the top on your email address, then select which account you want to view). I am also happy to see that Froyo's Gmail app allows you to select which account you are sending from when composing an email. Something that is lacking in the Gmail app on 2.1.

On the Inc and Droid, to switch between emails when reading in the Gmail app, I have to go back to the message list and tap on the next. I can't swipe my finger to move to previous/next like I can on my Storm, nor can I use the pop-up menu in Android to view the next/prev like you can with BB. (NOTE: Android does have "older" which takes you to the next older, then you'll see the "newer" button off the menu). If I'm using the regular Email app (exchange activesync), I do have next/prev arrows at the bottom of the screen. Thankfully Froyo's Gmail client has added the next/prev soft buttons at the bottom of the screen too.

The BB can hold 15, 30, 60, 90 or more days of emails in the message list. You can scroll through them and read at any time, even when you don't have wireless. On the INC & Droid, in the Gmail app, it holds about one or two screens worth, you want older, and it has to pull them in as you're scrolling down the list, so it pauses while it retrieves them. Forget about scrolling to view older if you have no wireless coverage.

On the BB Storm, while in the message list you can press/hold on one message, then tap on another, and it selects multiple emails (between those). You can delete, mark read, mark unread, etc. those selected emails. (on non-touch BB's, you can hold the shift key, and roll the track ball to select multiple emails). On Android in the Gmail app, you have to check the box in front of each message, one at a time, to select multiples, then you can select Archive, Delete, or Lables, but cant mark read/unread. This is something I do hope future versions of android include.

When sending an email on BB, you compose... along with the TO, Subject and message body boxes, you have the ability to select which email address you are sending from. Froyo's gmail app has this, until then, you have to be sure you start composing the email from the inbox of the gmail account you want to send from.

While using Android, I miss BB's delete prior, mark prior read/unread, delete only on hand held features.

On Android there is no one central place to configure ALL ringtone, sound and notification settings, yes you can get add on apps, but again, none allow changing the ring tone for each individual email account, IM program, calendar alarms, phone, notification, etc. in one central location like BB's profiles or sounds app.

Oh and lets not forget the X's intermittent loss of 3G problem, along with some wifi connection issues users have posted about.

And the problems with the X connecting to Exchange Active Sync with the latest official update (So much that moto is giving away licenses for copies of Touchdown app).

But yes, the X is so much better than BB.

Truth be told, I don't think android, or the X, is bad, just that it has a lot of catching up to do on some of the more "basic" features and ease of use things.

But I am sick of people who want to say that ANDROID is KING and everything else sux. Because in reality EACH mobile OS out there right now has its strengths and weaknesses.

I have my gripes about rim too, like how they are handling OS6, the web kit browser, etc.. (how long ago they were mentioned, and now few devices already on the shelf getting it), I would like to see them start using higher res screens, faster processors (lets face it 624MHZ is so 3 years ago!!)...
    08-20-10 02:38 PM
    I just fail to understand why homosexuals jump down peoples throat over `manly` comments. Is it that big of a deal to mention the apparent feminine look and use of a phone and reject it? Can`t even be a man these days without someone pointing their finger.
    Dude, you're the one who seems obsessed with homosexuality and trying to distinguish yourself by talking about how "manly" you are.

When I look at a Droid X, I don't see gay people... but then, I don't really think about gay people much. I know some, but it's no big deal.

You, on the other hand, look at a Droid X and see the gay pride parade marching down main street. Sounds kind of like a Rorschach test... what you see in the ink blots tells a lot about you.
    08-20-10 04:40 PM

I am also waiting on a global Android to hit VZW. Not as worried about the 4g. Probably going to end up with the Droid Pro.
    I think the Droid Pro is coming out in October or by the end of the year and will be a world phone
    08-20-10 06:59 PM
    Wow! The Droid MUST be gay -- especially since the Droid Pro is "coming out" in October. rlbnorth was right all along. Silly me.
    08-20-10 08:14 PM
    Gotta say, I love the title of this thread with the Star Wars reference. Classic! Okay, carry on with the arguing, and how the phone you have defines your sexuality, lol!
    08-21-10 12:32 AM
    08-21-10 12:43 AM
    My Storm 2 only froze once since I'v had it for 2-3 months now, and that was because I had a bunch of Apps running with music playing and tried to load the Camera. I don`t know how people say their Storm freezes a lot, mine is solid.

My friend got a Samsung Galaxy S a couple weeks ago and Droid locked up and crashed on him 6 times already.
    Something about a big 300 pound man using a bright rainbow colored phone screen and waving his finger around like a dam fairy just screams awkward, and thats my friend with his Droid.
    Rofl! I have a "gay" touchscreen device (vibrant) but cmon guys this s#$@ is hilarious.

08-21-10 02:13 AM
    I think the Droid Pro is coming out in October or by the end of the year and will be a world phone
    I looked that up after reading this thread, I'll wait until then. But one thing I'll miss is BBM when over seas, not paying $0.55/message total (I think it's like $0.10 to recieve and $0.45 to send). But e-mail still works as well as AIM.
    08-21-10 07:37 AM
    Wow! The Droid MUST be gay -- especially since the Droid Pro is "coming out" in October. rlbnorth was right all along. Silly me.
    IThis discussion is probably threatening for someone who gets gender confusion based on the color of the phone he's using and quotes his mother on matters of sexuality.

I'm sure he ran away screaming, crawled into mommy's lap and asked for reassurance he's a big boy.

08-21-10 11:18 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD