i've had my storm for a few weeks, and i'm wondering if a higher os will actually impact the speed and fluidity of my storm, because i love it i just need it to run a tad smoother
    02-13-09 11:04 AM
    i've had my storm for a few weeks, and i'm wondering if a higher os will actually impact the speed and fluidity of my storm, because i love it i just need it to run a tad smoother
    I hear you. I got the .103 sitting on my desktop and I'm to scarred to try to update it. I really don't understand it, in 3 weeks they have leaked 3 updates, how do we know when it's going to stop?

This is driving me crazy.
    02-13-09 11:06 AM
    We don't. I would probably wait until the official release unless you're willing to experiment without Verizon's assistance.
    02-13-09 11:09 AM
    i'm really reluctant to risk doing anything on my own i don't want to void anything with verizon, if it came down to a replacement.
    02-13-09 11:11 AM
    There are, but not for Verizon, and they aren't substantially different anyway.

If the last few leaked builds are anything to go by, it's not unreasonable to think that a new official release will be out by the end of the month, but the TARGET date, and I want to stress that this is only a TARGET date NOT a firm date set in stone, of March 31st is looking very doable at this point. I'd put my money on it being earlier than that, but I don't have any kind of insider info to base this on.
    02-13-09 11:12 AM
    When there is one you'll find out first right here at CB. Welcome to CB BTW. You can check out this link for Official OSs:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-123176/

You should also get a notice on your Storm when the latest OS release is available OTA (over the air) if your Storm is set up to do so. rumors are flying that by end of March we may, I stress, MAY have an official OS release. But no one knows so don't bother to ask!
    02-13-09 11:15 AM
    I was in the same boat as you guys yesterday. I had .75 for 2 months and planned on waiting for the official release of a new one. I just couldnt stand the lag on the phone and doing daily battery pulls. I read through the threads that show you how to update and tried it. It couldnt have gone smoother and this phone is just amazing now...
    02-13-09 11:17 AM
    Hi everyone. Just gotmy Storm a few days ago. It's probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. Sorry to my fiance C if you're reading this. I just had a couple of dumb newbie questions. I have OS version .75 and I was wondering if there were any significant benefits to upgrading the OS at this point or should I just acclamate to the phone before I start messing with things? Are the higher ending numbers the newer version OS's? Are there any cool apps or programs that you guys would suggest? Also, I was wondering why every phone I see on the internet has a lightning background and I just have the red verizon backing. I can see it is the selected theme but it doesn't actually show on my phone. Is this a bug? Thanks for any help. -RJ
    02-13-09 11:50 AM
    To the top 2 posters-
    Using the desktop manager your capable of backing up everything on your Storm. Knowing that, after backing up your phone, you can download the most recent leaked OS, follow the detailed instructions of how to install it and give it a try. Worst case scenario, your not going to like it, and you will have to downgrade back to .75.

Also, people are much less likely to make a thread or post about positive results from the newest OS then one about problems they are having. I personally have loaded every single OS, official and leaked on a Storm I bought in the early hours of the launch day and haven't had a quarter of the issues commonly reported with the individual operating systems.

My advice/2 cents- Load it up after backing up your phone and give it a try. Read the threads on how to do all that first.
    02-13-09 11:57 AM
    To the top 2 posters-
    Using the desktop manager your capable of backing up everything on your Storm. Knowing that, after backing up your phone, you can download the most recent leaked OS, follow the detailed instructions of how to install it and give it a try. Worst case scenario, your not going to like it, and you will have to downgrade back to .75.

Also, people are much less likely to make a thread or post about positive results from the newest OS then one about problems they are having. I personally have loaded every single OS, official and leaked on a Storm I bought in the early hours of the launch day and haven't had a quarter of the issues commonly reported with the individual operating systems.

My advice/2 cents- Load it up after backing up your phone and give it a try. Read the threads on how to do all that first.
    You were speaking to me too, and you are absolutely right. People are less likely to say good things as opposed to talk about the problems.
    02-13-09 12:04 PM
    worst case scenario is actually that you brick your phone.
    02-13-09 12:09 PM
    Hey guys I just received my replacement from Verizon. My first phone kept on rebooting itself so I decided to try another one. So far it seems to be running much better than the first one including much better clicking. If you are on the fence about upgrading your OS my suggestion is to do it. First of all back up your phone, do a complete wipe with JL Commander and install .103 OS. You will be much happier with the phone with regards to speed and functionality. The only issue I have found so far is that Bluetooth still doesn't work with video. Outside of that it improves the phone a great deal IMO. Hope this helps.
    02-13-09 12:13 PM
    You'd have to REALLY screw something up before JL Commander couldn't wipe it.
    02-13-09 12:18 PM
    i'm thinking seriously about installing .103 at this point, i appreciate all the help eveyone!
    02-13-09 12:49 PM
    Hey guys I just received my replacement from Verizon. My first phone kept on rebooting itself so I decided to try another one. So far it seems to be running much better than the first one including much better clicking. If you are on the fence about upgrading your OS my suggestion is to do it. First of all back up your phone, do a complete wipe with JL Commander and install .103 OS. You will be much happier with the phone with regards to speed and functionality. The only issue I have found so far is that Bluetooth still doesn't work with video. Outside of that it improves the phone a great deal IMO. Hope this helps.
    wiping is not necessary. unless you are paranoid, know that when you install an OS, the DM/Apploader automatically WIPES the previous OS before installing the new one.
    02-13-09 01:24 PM
    QFT. I've loaded every beta/leaked release and haven't once regretted it. <knocks on wood>.
    02-13-09 02:22 PM
    where can i find jl commander?
    02-13-09 04:25 PM
    where can i find jl commander?
    Google?

(Stupid 10 character limit)
    02-13-09 04:50 PM
    Hi, I've finally joined the community after about a year of reading all this useful info. Finally, I'll make a contribution. I read somewhere else that Verizon was to release a new OS update, this weekend. I have confirmed this with a Verizon store manager and 2 different reps on the phone. They all said it should be this weekend or sometime very soon. I don't think that many of them would make this up.
    02-13-09 04:59 PM
    i have a storm from bell mobility. my OS is at v.76. that would be the official OS that came with the phone.
    02-13-09 05:04 PM
    Hi, I've finally joined the community after about a year of reading all this useful info. Finally, I'll make a contribution. I read somewhere else that Verizon was to release a new OS update, this weekend. I have confirmed this with a Verizon store manager and 2 different reps on the phone. They all said it should be this weekend or sometime very soon. I don't think that many of them would make this up.
    I don't know if they are making it up or not, but the Verizon people I have talked to and also the Verizon people who have posted on Crackberry have indicated that they do not know about an official release until immediately before it is released. Immediate is hours, not days.

This is not to say that something is not comming, but don't get your hopes up.
    02-13-09 05:09 PM
    I don't know if they are making it up or not, but the Verizon people I have talked to and also the Verizon people who have posted on Crackberry have indicated that they do not know about an official release until immediately before it is released. Immediate is hours, not days.

This is not to say that something is not comming, but don't get your hopes up.
    Probably depends on how high up the corporate food chain they are. CS reps who serve as the cannon fodder, are usually only going to find out as the file is being uploaded to servers. The people who have to sign off on every release obviously know much sooner than that.
    02-13-09 05:18 PM
    i'm really reluctant to risk doing anything on my own i don't want to void anything with verizon, if it came down to a replacement.
    You wouldn't void your warranty, you can put as many different OS on there as you want. They won't know unless they actually look into it. Plus you can always put on the old OS that came on it.
    02-13-09 05:23 PM
    But you can always recover it.
    02-13-09 05:24 PM
    I've known the store manager for several years and he has provided some inside info to me, before, so I would trust what he says. He even let my wife and I checkout the Storm a few days before it was released.
    02-13-09 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD