i have the storm-specific slacker app and am constantly streaming. the external speaker isn't the best so i'm looking for another solution for audio output (no headset.)

obviously the storm is still relatively new and it will be some time until external speakers (like what is available for the iphone) are readily available. so what is available now? something that connects via bluetooth would be great but via the headset jack would work too.

ideally of course, rim comes out with something like the desktop cradle but that has speakers on either side. that would be sweet.

so has anyone seen any good speaker setups out there? i'm not looking for bose quality just something better than the built-in speaker.
    02-08-09 07:01 PM
    ...the external speaker isn't the best...
    Then I suspect you have a defective speaker. That was one of the selling points when I was looking into the Storm.
    02-08-09 07:19 PM
    it's got the headphone jack...i don't see why external speakers wouldn't work now.
    i can't imagine they would have to be made specifically for the storm.
    02-08-09 07:20 PM
    Any decent speakers with the right jack will do. If you're after a more 'gadget freak ' solution, there's always the BlackBerry Remote Stereo Gateway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 07:31 PM
    What does it have to do with the Storm being new?
    Any speaker with a 3.5 plug or bt will work. Audio is audio... I used my sons old ipod speakers
    No problem, I even plug it into his game chair... Talking about awesome sound... When
    I'm at work I use BT speakers...

02-08-09 07:32 PM
    now that i think about it...my brother watched a movie with the sound coming through his car speakers.

he needed some adapter but it worked.

here is a page to get you in the right direction
    Cell phone external speaker Cell Phone Accessories: Compare prices at BizRate
    Last edited by neolantis; 02-08-09 at 07:48 PM.
    02-08-09 07:44 PM
    The external speakers are dammmmn good for a cellphone.
    02-08-09 07:48 PM
    No adapter needed for car speakers if your car has an AUX plug. All you need is a $5 cable from Radio Shack, 3.5 on each end.

Back to the OPs question, it's been answered here by a few folks, they are correct. Audio is audio. At home you can plug it into your 'input' on your computer and listen away.

I just popped mine into my mixer (certainly not needed to listen, but this is my setup) and it sounds brilliant.

02-08-09 07:51 PM
    No adapter needed for car speakers if your car has an AUX plug. All you need is a $5 cable from Radio Shack, 3.5 on each end.

Back to the OPs question, it's been answered here by a few folks, they are correct. Audio is audio. At home you can plug it into your 'input' on your computer and listen away.

I just popped mine into my mixer (certainly not needed to listen, but this is my setup) and it sounds brilliant.
    cool setup you got there
    02-08-09 08:07 PM
    I use these amazing BOSE speakers that I picked up at SAMS CLUB for $80 a few years ago. I would imagine that as long as the speakers have their own volume control, you couldn't want much more.
    02-08-09 08:15 PM
    I think what he's looking for is a Docking system that has speakers & charges at the sametime....Thats what I'm looking for....Everything thats out there is jus for the IPODS
    02-08-09 08:50 PM
    I found a set at Verizon Wireless by LG that is powered (plug in and battery). It also plays music from cell phone with included cable. Short money too.

02-08-09 09:00 PM
    Also they are smaller than a small cell phone

02-08-09 09:02 PM
    02-08-09 09:07 PM
    You could pick up some bluetooth speakers
    02-08-09 09:09 PM
    wow, lots of great ideas here. i love the forums.

the blackberry remote stereo gateway http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-remote-stereo-gateway/12A45A3579.htm looks pretty straightforward and a great way to stream to my home system.

the motorola eq5 wireless travel stereo speaker http://shop.crackberry.com/motorola-eq5-wireless-travel-stereo-speaker/12A92A4040.htm is exactly what i was looking for. it would be better if there was the option to run off batteries but the fact that the charger is micro-usb means i don't have to carry around another cord. nice.

thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated!
    02-08-09 10:36 PM
    I just plug mine into my car aux port. You can plug into any stereo/speakers that way.
    02-08-09 10:49 PM
    I am using the Soundmatters Bluetooth External Portable Audio System. Damn...It's freakin' awesome. Works like a champ and the sound is unbelieveable. It's small and portable in your pocket. Some micro technology at work. The downside...it's like $250 but damn...it's awesome!!
    02-08-09 11:01 PM
    I have the lg bluetooth speakers I got off ebay for like $50 bucks. Sounds great for low cost BT speakers.
    02-08-09 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD