unlocking the storm? I have no future plans to change service providers but was wondering if unlocking a phone would have any benefits? ive heard it does, ive heard it doesnt, i also heard some phones are real buggy when unlocked...whats crackberry's insight?
    03-16-09 12:43 AM
    unlocking the storm? I have no future plans to change service providers but was wondering if unlocking a phone would have any benefits? ive heard it does, ive heard it doesnt, i also heard some phones are real buggy when unlocked...whats crackberry's insight?

Ive had my storm unlocked by verizon and it has had no effect on it, and the only benefit for unlocked is to use GSM...call verizon and ask for unlock code for international use cause ur going to italy in two weeks and they will give it to you
    03-16-09 12:46 AM
    No benefit if you don't plan on using a non-Verizon SIM card. Buginess of phone is not linked to SIM unlocking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 12:47 AM
    For your case increased re-sale value. I'm running a Storm thats never been locked in the first place and more the most part its great.
    03-16-09 12:48 AM
    Mine was unlocked by Verizon the day I purchased it...no problems
    03-16-09 12:59 AM
    so say im going to umm brazil on a cruise (possible over this summer) or dominican republic (also possible over summer) would unlocking it help or would i have to have a service provider over there in brazil to use it? i would like to unlock it anyways to make the resell value higher for when i upgrade..if i do....is there anything i have to do besides punch in a code? like reinstall the OS and 3rd party apps im runing or anything else?
    03-16-09 01:04 AM
    Its as easy as cooking eggs.

Options > advanced options > SIM card > hit the menu key > select show keyboard > type MEPD if in QWERTY or MEPPD if in suretype > enter code in pop up box.
    03-16-09 01:13 AM
    so nothing else after i type the code in? and no benefits other then a better resale value? and would it work in the bahamas and dominican republic if i unlock it or how does that work since its a "world phone" and all?
    03-16-09 03:44 PM
    Yeah I did it for resale value and on the off chance I travel.
    03-16-09 03:45 PM
    and just makin sure....it is 100% free to do right? lol and where and how do i do it exactly?
    03-16-09 03:52 PM
    If you've been with Verizon for 60+ days, it's free if you call their global support people and tell them you're going overseas and want to use a prepaid SIM card. If you haven't been with them for 60+ days and/or are not in good standing, Unique Phones is legit, but it'll cost you. If you go through Verizon, they'll walk you through it.
    03-16-09 03:54 PM
    so nothing else after i type the code in? and no benefits other then a better resale value? and would it work in the bahamas and dominican republic if i unlock it or how does that work since its a "world phone" and all?
    Bahamas has pre-paid BIS i believe. So if you end up there you can buy a pre-paid SIM card add credit to it and get data.
    03-16-09 03:56 PM
    nice thanks for the info and i have been with verizon for 2 yrs now so yeah i pass the 60 day thing lol and thanks for the bahamas info...so im guessing the global support people's phone number is on the verizon website?
    03-16-09 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD