View Poll Results: Leaked by RIM or not

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they're leaking them

30 55.56%
  • No, it's just a theory

24 44.44%
    Just a theory (conspiracy)....

Do you think that RIM is "leaking" these beta OS's so people can post them, install them (on a mass scale) then post back with the problems so they know what needs to be fixed in the next release? We're kinda doing their job for them.

Just wondering since there are SO many leaks.

I haven't ever seen this many leaks for Firmware/OS updates in years.

-S
    03-03-09 10:09 AM
    This has been talked about so many times I lost count. Then again I can only count to 3 so yeah....

Anywho, rim does not leak on purpose and neither does any carrier, just people that wanna be bice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 10:12 AM
    Software companies do that all the time. Their QA folks can only do so much. It is better to let the general public to do the testing for you. But of course, it is never official. In my humble opinion, it is a smart move. It lets the customers know that "help is on the way". =)

It also help to generate discussion threads on forums like CB here. It is a win-win situation.

Last edited by substring; 03-03-09 at 10:16 AM.
    03-03-09 10:13 AM
    My opinion is they are leaking them. It is also my opinion that this is a good thing. It just sets the stage for testing...

RIM Creates an OS

RIM QA tests it best they can

RIM releases it to the beta testers, who test it best they can.

It gets leaked to the masses, which tests it further because of the sheer number of users.

Things get mentioned by all testers, on all levels and RIM fixes or repairs and starts the process over again...

This is my theory, and one I believe would be good. The thing for RIM to remember is the people that are on sites like this one are more apt to be leaders and adventerous with installing and playing with new things, so they have little worry that a leaked version with tarnish their rep in the rest of the world. As those people (rest of the world) would not even install a leaked version and would rather wait until the carrier releases it.

All my opinion...

Jamie
    03-03-09 10:33 AM
    My opinion is they are leaking them. It is also my opinion that this is a good thing. It just sets the stage for testing...

RIM Creates an OS

It gets leaked to the masses, which tests it further because of the sheer number of users.

Things get mentioned by all testers, on all levels and RIM fixes or repairs and starts the process over again...

This is my theory, and one I believe would be good. The thing for RIM to remember is the people that are on sites like this one are more apt to be leaders and adventerous with installing and playing with new things, so they have little worry that a leaked version with tarnish their rep in the rest of the world. As those people (rest of the world) would not even install a leaked version and would rather wait until the carrier releases it.

All my opinion...

Jamie

Bang on man, couldn't have said it better
    03-03-09 10:36 AM
    you would think they would want them to get leaked to the public or at least on a small scale like these forums for the feedback to help on a larger scale than just their select beta testers, I would doubt they would ever admit to it thats why they call them leaked.
    03-03-09 10:39 AM
    for sure. it's an "accident"
    03-03-09 10:40 AM
    This little theory makes no sense on several fronts. Probably the biggest hole in the theory, is why would RIM need to leak them secretly? They could just implement an official beta testing program if they wanted the input of the average user. There's also the fact that by the time some build leaks, RIM is usually several builds beyond. Right now .109 is the latest leaked, and they're up to at least .130 internally at RIM. What good is our telling them about issues with .109 likely going to do?

The holes in this little theory are numerous and large.
    03-03-09 10:46 AM
    please read the following thread before you continue with "conspiracy theories" about RIM

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...s-leak-129305/
    03-03-09 10:53 AM
    I think it makes perfect sense to believe they are leaking

Any tester and R & D will be official and as such can only put it to people who are 100% uptodate with what thier blackberry does and what is doesn't

Joe public on the other hand have a way of finding the bits that go wrong in every day life and in forums such as this ( you can be rest assured blackberry do look) the faults are discussed along with everyday human experiences.

Also something the leaks help with is customer satisfaction and perception if as many have seen in here that the storm was clearly released before it was match fit then that can be observed by leaks and monitoring the customer reaction.

Are leaks happening.. only when blackberry want them to
    be it by staff or officially..they only have to come in here and see that
    03-03-09 10:57 AM
    This little theory makes no sense on several fronts. Probably the biggest hole in the theory, is why would RIM need to leak them secretly? They could just implement an official beta testing program if they wanted the input of the average user. There's also the fact that by the time some build leaks, RIM is usually several builds beyond. Right now .109 is the latest leaked, and they're up to at least .130 internally at RIM. What good is our telling them about issues with .109 likely going to do?

The holes in this little theory are numerous and large.
    You got er' Pontiac!
    03-03-09 11:07 AM
    OK so we are testing .109, a build RIM has LONG since abandoned.
    03-03-09 11:07 AM
    I have a friend who works at Rim. he says they are trying really hard to find who's been leaking it. On another note he said he just updated to the latest "finished" version 1 week ago. He says it was not officially numbered yet. lol
    03-03-09 12:09 PM
    I would have to say that there is no real reasoon for them to leak an older beta copy to us. Like its ben said, why would they leak something that has already been tested and moved on from.
    03-03-09 12:12 PM
    Who profits from software leaks?

Does RIM profit? Nah. For the most part there are portions of the betas that are in one way or another unstable. No big deal to the techno-geeks here, not ok for the general public. So it's not like leaked software on Crackberry is increasing sales at RIM.

Does Crackberry profit? Absolutely!! The waves of hits the site gets every day from leak hungry people is huge. This gives Kevin a great deal of ability to market the site to would-be advertisers which in turn gives him the ability to get the end users good deals on software and peripherals.

Does the guy doing the leaking profit? Well to that, I cannot say. We have all heard repeatedly that the person doing the leaking is violating his NDA and could lose his job. Do you risk your job to leak a beta software to the Crackberry masses out of the goodness of your heart? If you do, you're a fool. In just a few days' time there's another leak or a hybrid and your sacrifice is forgotten and now you're out of work.

So what it comes down to is, what does the leaker gain by leaking?
    03-03-09 12:55 PM

RIM Creates an OS

All my opinion...

Jamie
    My thoughts exactly.
    03-03-09 05:26 PM
    Just a theory (conspiracy)....

Do you think that RIM is "leaking" these beta OS's so people can post them, install them (on a mass scale) then post back with the problems so they know what needs to be fixed in the next release? We're kinda doing their job for them.

Just wondering since there are SO many leaks.

I haven't ever seen this many leaks for Firmware/OS updates in years.

-S
    I'm not sure how many times I have to post this--> RIM DOES NOT LEAK UNRELEASED/BETA SOFTWARE.

The leaks come from Partners and other ISV's. Leaks cost RIM money. Please check this thread--> http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...s-leak-129305/
    03-03-09 05:31 PM
    Even if RIM leaked the betas the line "This OS sucks!" doesn't really give them great feedback now does it?
    03-03-09 05:33 PM
    please read the following thread before you continue with "conspiracy theories" about RIM

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...s-leak-129305/
    I'm not sure how many times I have to post this--> RIM DOES NOT LEAK UNRELEASED/BETA SOFTWARE.

The leaks come from Partners and other ISV's. Leaks cost RIM money. Please check this thread--> http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...s-leak-129305/
    woohoo!! i was right!
    03-03-09 05:33 PM
    woohoo!! i was right!
    want a medal?...lmao
    03-03-09 05:37 PM

lol maybe put it in your signature?
    03-03-09 05:42 PM
    want a medal?...lmao
    we already had cookies in another thread
    03-03-09 05:46 PM
    Even if RIM leaked the betas the line "This OS sucks!" doesn't really give them great feedback now does it?
    Exactly.

Last edited by Sharkz; 03-03-09 at 06:42 PM.
    03-03-09 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD