In my experiences with the storm the clickable screen is pretty good and helpful when navigating throughout the phone. The place it falls short, in my opinion, is when it comes to typing (I'm talking fast typing).

So, because the screen detects the touch of your finger just like any other touch screen phone without you having to press it, couldn't an alternate keyboard be made for the storm that only requires you to touch the screen, not press?

Don't go yelling that this defeats the purpose of the phone's design, I'm not saying to revamp the phone, just an alternate keyboard app.

Are blackberrys open enough to even allow an alternate keyboard to be made or is that off limits?

Thank you.
    12-03-08 09:28 AM
    i fully support this idea, i was practice typing today without the click and it felt really good to me.

fingers crossed
    12-03-08 09:35 AM
    I would say that until they fix the screen lock or standby issue (especially DURING a call) you would want to stay w/ the click. Oherwise you'd be hitting ALL kinds of buttons while on the phone if you aren't already.
    12-03-08 09:43 AM
    I really love the clicking. I can use the phone in a car or walking around with out bracing it. Under Ideal conditions a non click keyboard might be pretty nice or just a software override key press when the screen is still coming back up and your press does not register.
    12-03-08 11:00 AM
    In my experiences with the storm the clickable screen is pretty good and helpful when navigating throughout the phone. The place it falls short, in my opinion, is when it comes to typing (I'm talking fast typing).

So, because the screen detects the touch of your finger just like any other touch screen phone without you having to press it, couldn't an alternate keyboard be made for the storm that only requires you to touch the screen, not press?

Don't go yelling that this defeats the purpose of the phone's design, I'm not saying to revamp the phone, just an alternate keyboard app.

Are blackberrys open enough to even allow an alternate keyboard to be made or is that off limits?

Thank you.
    I have been saying this for awhile now, I love the click for certain apps and setting but it falls short for me when it comes to txt's and emails. If we could bypass this even if just those two things, this phone would be damn near perfect. I have tried typing on the keyboard with out the click and rarely miss.
    12-03-08 11:05 AM
    wow - I would be in support of an option if that were possible but i have the EXACT opposite reaction. The reason I left my HTC Touch was that I could not stand typing on a pure touch screen. I am very fast, and I move my fingers across the keyboard which would throw all types of bad letters. This way I push down similar to a hard keyboard.

I think it is great how different people have different experiences with the same design and same puspose in mind.
    12-03-08 11:07 AM
    I think to have it both ways would eat up even more memory. I just wish that when you pressed on a blue highlighted option, it would enter it all the time and not just some of the time.
    12-20-08 07:32 PM
    Having a pure touchscreen keyboard is a GREAT idea.

I would also love it if you could have the homescreen icons slide up and down--to show ALL icons on the same screen--instead of having to click the screen or BB key and going to a new black screen. Sort of like a G1 phone, I suppose.
    12-20-08 07:57 PM
    honestly the only way i would go back to a pure touch keyboard on this blackberry is if it got the iphones predictive text software .
    12-20-08 08:02 PM
    Let's just settle this right now... It's not going to happen... Ever. SurePress is the single biggest selling point of the Storm. It would also likely require a fair amount of work on the development end which could be better spent squashing bugs, tuning performance, or adding new features that more than a handful of people would find useful/desirable.

If you wanted a pure touch screen device you shouldn't have bought a Storm. Though I do expect to see plenty of Storm clones in the years to come. RIM hit on a fantastic idea with SurePress, and it's almost certain to be copied by several other vendors as soon as they can work out a way to get around any patents RIM might have on it.
    12-20-08 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD