Ok,

I've downloaded a few highly rated themes on my storm 2, now that I have some memory! BeDroid, ImpactBlue, Clockworks.

I've noticed they look cool for sure. But each of them contains glitches - not major ones, just some oddities. And all of them slow my storm down a bit. Is this usual? Is this the price one pays for cool graphics?

I did download an animated fish bowl theme too - again highly rated. And that really slowed her down.

Am I missing something? At some point I'll take fast and boring over slow and sexy.
    05-23-10 08:39 PM
    No, you are not imaging it...I have bought some, tried some free ones, and most ALL of them are slow - It almost seems like you are watching grass grow, so I kept going back to the original. I have only found two so far that work well: the BBZen series by Natemz, 2010 - I love the icons, but ever so slightly slow & the fastest one is the Hybrid & Hybrid Pro Series by Zachriel - It is the smoothest I have found, but I don't like the icons as much. Some expensive ones are just too slow and I have deleted them even though I paid for them...like the iBerry Storm & Windows 7 for example.
    05-23-10 09:07 PM
    I agree. i own BeDroid, OS 6.0 themes and I find them to be less stable for memory and performance. My current favorite is Zen Remix. Its stable, and its very useful. I like the "L" style with dedicated weather slot.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f131/pr...-remix-259673/

05-23-10 09:19 PM
    I tend to find myself always going back to the default zen theme because it moves so much smoother than any theme you can install.
    05-24-10 12:56 PM
    I can not stand the Zen theme. I don't want a theme designed around the Bold 9000 which came out what seems like a decade ago. An 6 is still based around that icon set which is dissapointing.

a multi billion dollar company should be able to get a new set of fricking icons.

BeDroid in my opinion adds the most functionality to the home page. It has great hidden buttons and the awesome slide up dock. Couple that with the hidden Quicklaunch button and you will almost never have to open up your app menu. It does slow the device down though. Functionality over top performance.

OS 6 by Wayne doesn't slow the device down as much but doesn't offer as many features as BeDroid.

So in answer to your question yes as others have said, one of the best features out of the box the Berry has(the ability to have different themes) does jack up the device.

Sad but true.

the actual OS 6 will incorporate many of the nice features the theme makers have been using.
    05-24-10 01:03 PM
    bummer. I was afraid I was right.

Man, are we all that spoiled! I really love the Storm and it's functions, etc. It's funny I get so jacked over a little delay from time to time!!!

Thanks, guys.
    05-24-10 01:07 PM
    the actual OS 6 will incorporate many of the nice features the theme makers have been using.
    The sad thing is, from the pictures of OS 6 on the new BB Slider, it looks like RIM has chosen to use pretty much the same, boring, colorless, non-updating (calendar day), crap that they currently offer! Does it cost that much to add a little "excitement" to a tired old set of icons?
    Last edited by corymcnutt; 05-24-10 at 01:20 PM.
    05-24-10 01:14 PM
    The sad thing is, from the pictures of OS 6 on the new BB Slider, it looks like RIM has chosen to use pretty much the same, boring, colorless, non-updating (calendar day), crap that they currently offer! Does it cost that much to add a little "excitement" to a tired old set of icons?
    The Bold was such a huge success for them, that they feel everything has to in part be designed around it. That an the QWERTY keyboard layout. It has been the same since the beginning of time. Even the clamshell and Slider have that same QWERTY design.

WebOS was an awesome improvement in Palms operating system, but they shoehorned it into a device that was stunted by that chicklet tic tac keyboard. RIM needs to learn that while physical keyboards are getting replaced by touchscreens there is room for side sliders. The slide up Pre design makes the new Slider look like a giant Turd, yea it might work well but it looks like a turd, they had to have that darn QWERTY keyboard layout.
    05-24-10 01:23 PM
    Many S2 users swear by Elle. I had both Miro and Miro 2 on my S2 and they seemed to actually speed up the operation of the device. In fact my wife still uses Miro2 on her Storm1. I just started using an HTC HD2 Berry theme, I like very much. Operation is a little slower, but the bland icons and the small clock on the 4.7/5.0/6.0 OS are - Blech!!!

Look up these themes on the forums and read the reviews. They are excellent.
    05-24-10 01:27 PM
    I just bought the new Clockworks theme to my phone. I got the phone Thursday, so I'm a BB noob lol but it works well with the apps I use and it's circular home screen works well. I saw alot of posts about popular themes slowing the phone down, but this theme has been great dso far except for buting my BBM icon and SMS app icons which I found eventually.
    05-24-10 01:39 PM
    Exactly. Even full screen pic id appears to have wound up on the cutting room floor. The fact is that all of this can be coded into the OS in a far more efficient manner. But their is neither the will nor foresight of the powers that be to do so. 200 megs and they wont add .187 kb of code to have an updating calendar, or 300kb for full screen caller ID,less than 100kb (based on app builder) for clock options. As it stands you can have portrait and landscape wall papers for a theme, but you can't do so as an end user. This OS needs more than an upgraded web client.
    05-24-10 01:51 PM
    I'm currently running WJD Design's OS 6 theme, and I'm really impressed at how little it does slow the device down or eat up memory. I'm maybe losing 1~2 MB more than I usually do after a day or so of running it...but that's very acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I've noticed no lag at all either while running it, which is something I can't say for any of the other themes I've tried.
    05-24-10 03:02 PM
    I'm currently running WJD Design's OS 6 theme, and I'm really impressed at how little it does slow the device down or eat up memory. I'm maybe losing 1~2 MB more than I usually do after a day or so of running it...but that's very acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I've noticed no lag at all either while running it, which is something I can't say for any of the other themes I've tried.
    +1 from me. I really like this theme. Very fast and only sometimes a tad slow when reorganizing apps or returning to the homescreen.
    05-24-10 03:26 PM
    Stock theme for me. Now, if they add a weather slot (and possibly a meter berry slot, but that's a bit of a stretch), then it would be perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 04:07 PM
    I used Bedroid since it came out and I never had any issues. But like a lot of other users, I always went back to default zen.
    05-24-10 05:23 PM
    I've been running AppleBerry 2.0 on my Storm 2 and before that, AppleBerry 1.0 on my Storm 1. Neither of them have had any significant impact on my phone performance. I've tried other themes though, that did slow things down. I highly recommend this theme and for the money, you get 8 variations in one download, so there's enough to make everyone happy.
    05-24-10 05:39 PM
    As a noob I may look at that theme, thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD