Hey all,

I have two questions concerning texting on the storm. Only place near me at the moment selling a storm is the Best Buy and for some idiotic reason they have stickers on the screen instead of turning it on.

So, my main problem with my phone now on verizon is that if you send a text over 160 characters, it only sends the first text and not the second one. Why not? Is this a verizon thing or will the storm send a text as long as i want? I only ask because my friend on AT&T sends me texts that wind up being 3-4 text messages long but my phone gets them all without only sending the first one.

Secondly, is the texting anything like the Iphones in regards to linking every text together into one long list? I hate that on the Iphone as there are some texts I'm sure I've sent that I don't want to be able to be pulled up a year later or whatever.

Thanks for letting me know
    12-18-08 07:00 PM
    Well the storm you see at bestbuy on the display is a dummy phone doesn't work anyway I bet the sticker is people running and holding hands. We are in 160 mode here on the storm
    12-18-08 07:03 PM
    First.... so far no... you can only send 160 characters in a text... although there is great debate on this being carrier related and why it isnt allowed yet... or when it will be.

Second.... you can control how many texts you keep in your history... whether is be just the current text between the person or the last 10.... it can do either.
    12-18-08 07:05 PM
    Umm i'll try to answer this too. If you want to send a txt message that is longer that 160 characters your going to need to send it as a MMS. As far as txt looking like the iphone, yea it kinda looks like iphone's "instant message" theme.
    12-18-08 08:10 PM
    So you mean send it like a picture text, but don't include a picture? I'm confused by what you mean as an MMS message - aren't those picture/video texts?
    12-18-08 11:36 PM
    MMS on the storm starts out just like SMS, or a text message.

You can hit menu and choose to add attachments and pictures and contacts, etc.
    12-19-08 12:16 AM
    So you mean send it like a picture text, but don't include a picture? I'm confused by what you mean as an MMS message - aren't those picture/video texts?
    Yea usually MMS means multimedia message but you do not have to add a picture, sound or video. You can just txt like you normally would and I don't believe there is a character limit for a MMS although I could be wrong.
    12-19-08 12:40 AM
    That is fantastic news about using MMS messages to send over 160 characters! Been driving me nuts since I switched to the storm. Off to create longer texts! Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 12:56 AM
    haha yea no problem. Just make sure whoever you are txting that they have a txt plan with MMS or you could jack their bill way up!
    12-19-08 12:58 AM
    MMS ok over 160...SMS is a no no.
    12-19-08 12:59 AM
    Well that's diasppointing. One last Q came to me, how many texts can you hold in your inbox? My current phone can only do 50 so it stinks having to wipe it 2-4ish times a day. My LG dare could hold ~150 so that was nice.
    12-19-08 02:30 AM
    I don't believe there is a limit... I guess it just depends on how many you let build up until it starts effecting your phones memory. lol yea I had the 50 txt limit on my old phone and it sucked.
    12-19-08 03:59 AM
    Sorry to dig up this old post, but I have some input. Just so you are all aware... there is a limit to MMS characters too.

SMS = 160
    MMS = 1000

I've been using this workaround for a while to send texts over 160 characters to people outside of Verizon (when I had my LG Dare)
    01-07-09 02:29 PM
    just to clarify... so you don't get all excited or too confused... MMS will be send to the other person at picture message rate. like someone else said... make sure that person either has a plan that includes pictures messages or don't use it cause those can get pretty pricey if you use it all the time and they don't have a plan for it.

also.. if someone sends you an MMS/picture/video message... and you reply to that message... it will send back to them as the same thing.

I didn't know that when i got my storm.. a friend sent me a photo and i started replying to her and she freaked out because all my replies came back as picture messages and she didn't have a plan for it.
    01-07-09 02:52 PM
    If you don't know what people are limited to as far as quantity of MMS messages goes, just make a bunch of separate SMS texts. I save mine as drafts and then rapid fire them.
    01-07-09 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD