I cannot take credit for finding this, but I was finally able to duplicate it (not a lot of people send me just text emails with weblinks in it. )

Bottom line is, if you have someone send you a text only email and it has a weblink of any kind, you cannot tap on the link and get it to highlight so you can click it to go there with the browser.

To add to this, with text only emails, NOTHING is selectable in them. In other words, if you have a phone number in the text only signature, you can't tap the number to highlight it and call the number.

Yep, I know... it's stupid. I wonder why VZW didn't think this was enough of an issue to resolve prior to release/certification of this OS.
    10-27-09 12:06 PM
    Yep, I know... it's stupid. I wonder why VZW didn't think this was enough of an issue to resolve prior to release/certification of this OS.
    Hmm.. maybe because...

(not a lot of people send me just text emails with weblinks in it. )
    Which may be true for the majority of folks out there. True, something like this "should just work" but someone has to make it a priority to fix and address. Must not have been very high on their list.
    10-27-09 12:19 PM
    Hmm.. maybe because...

Which may be true for the majority of folks out there. True, something like this "should just work" but someone has to make it a priority to fix and address. Must not have been very high on their list.
    The problem I have with this is that IT WAS working before. Something new broke this... yet again, the House of Cards that is the RIM BB OS shows its true colors.

The bottom line is, the individuals testing these builds ARE NOT THOROUGH and don't stick to properly designed testing scripts. There should be sections of these scripts that test ALL aspects of the phone, not just 90% of normaly used functions and features for the average user. That's just dumb. These scripts should also continue to be ammended and evolve as testers fine new intricate bugs that could spring up. Only then will the BB OS truly be cleaned up properly.
    10-27-09 12:24 PM
    my friend said he wasn't able to duplicate this issue with plain text...

question: is all email sent from the device plain text as default? i just used my personal yahoo message to send an email as "rich text" and the link works fine...but that's not plain text.

for my testing purposes i've used yahoo and gmail, my friend uses hotmail. is there any difference in which email provider is being used with this issue? he's not experiencing the issue, so i'm speculating this is the situation. different email providers have the email formatted differently?
    10-27-09 12:58 PM
    patches,i have one for you,and you to civic,i go to put smiley face in a text and it comes out as a symbol,what do i need to do?
    10-27-09 01:02 PM
    it only displays the symbol/image on your end...the receiving end will only get the plain text emoticon. old skool....

but that's for a different thread, there is a SMS thread if you want to discuss this further.
    10-27-09 01:09 PM
    my friend said he wasn't able to duplicate this issue with plain text...

question: is all email sent from the device plain text as default? i just used my personal yahoo message to send an email as "rich text" and the link works fine...but that's not plain text.

for my testing purposes i've used yahoo and gmail, my friend uses hotmail. is there any difference in which email provider is being used with this issue? he's not experiencing the issue, so i'm speculating this is the situation. different email providers have the email formatted differently?
    Then your friend wasn't getting any emails that were "truly" Plain Text. Plain Text emails are always generated via the BB in a BIS email environment IF the email being sent originates from the handheld. If someone sends you an HTML email and you reply from your handheld, your input is text only, but the overall formatting of the email (since you're replying to an HTML source) will remain HTML for the duration of that email conversation, unless someone on a PC changes the format (either intentionally or uninstentionally depending on mail client settings) to Text Only.

lol, hope that was clear.

The best way to test this is to Go into Outlook and send yourself an email in text only encoding. This is the only "true" way to verify you really are sending a text only email as some webmail interfaces (like Google) will allow for HTML email to be generated even if it doesn't look HTML to you. Remember, the differences in HTML vs Text Only email is NOT what it "looks like", but what it's "encoded as". Very big difference here and probably what bit your friend in the bud.

BTW, this very well could be a BIS only issue, meaning that BES email accounts may behave properly with text only emails and this issue. If your freind was on a BES, that might be the missing key to why he didn't see this. I'm not saying this is it, but it certainly provides for another variable to the issue. It wouldn't be the first time a BIS email only issue is seen. Remember the whole "Multiple action buttons in text only emails" back in the 4.7 days. Very similar problem and was very specific. I know for a fact that one had to be explain in very detailed info in order for RIM reps to "get it" and get development to fix it. It was fixed in 4.7.0.151, which is one of the big reasons I ran that as my OS of choice in the 4.7 days.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-27-09 at 01:16 PM.
    10-27-09 01:13 PM
    it only displays the symbol/image on your end...the receiving end will only get the plain text emoticon. old skool....

but that's for a different thread, there is a SMS thread if you want to discuss this further.
    yes,thankk you,ill see if i can find that thread,again,thanks...
    10-27-09 01:18 PM
    I know for a fact that he was on html and not plain text...
    Two reasons:
    The links in his email were blue hyperlinks
    When he replied to my messages, the "plain text URL" showed up as
    "www.yahoo.com <http://www.yahoo.com>" which is what I get if I send myself a rich text email and change to plain text

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 01:57 PM
    I know for a fact that he was on html and not plain text...
    Two reasons:
    The links in his email were blue hyperlinks
    When he replied to my messages, the "plain text URL" showed up as
    "www.yahoo.com <http://www.yahoo.com>" which is what I get if I send myself a rich text email and change to plain text

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, then that's why he never saw the problem. No big deal this late in the game, I'm sure it'll get solved eventually, but it will take our collective contacts to get this info to the developers so they can fix it.

However, you gota ask your friend to pay closer attention to details man... it's to be expected if they're going to be providing testing feedback to the developers.
    10-27-09 02:00 PM

BTW, this very well could be a BIS only issue, meaning that BES email accounts may behave properly with text only emails and this issue.
    It affects BES as well. The links I get from subscribed threads on this site no longer work. I am on BES. So it is a total Cluster f@#$.

Will make following this site more difficult! LOL
    10-27-09 02:15 PM
    Well, then that's why he never saw the problem. No big deal this late in the game, I'm sure it'll get solved eventually, but it will take our collective contacts to get this info to the developers so they can fix it.

However, you gota ask your friend to pay closer attention to details man... it's to be expected if they're going to be providing testing feedback to the developers.
    today will be the last day i send him any of my technical opinions/suggestions/finds....he seems to get pissy whenever i bring it up, and his only response lately is "not an issue on my end" or "it's not that big of a deal"....seriously, he's testing like 12 devices, and who knows how many software builds per device...i think he's just starting to crack. i mean, he gets his job done, but at what cost? he works 12 hour days, like 5 days a week...because that's what it takes to get the job done. i have to drag him out of work and force feed him beer once or twice a week so that we can have a casual conversation about whatever, but it always ends up being about new technology. i'm gonna stop talking about phones, we're now only talking about cars and computers. maybe TVs and gaming consoles....i don't work for VZW anymore, and i need to stop bringing up his work...

but i emailed him the thing about the HTML to plain text and how it shows up in brackets...haven't heard back yet. but we'll see...i know that he wasn't on plain text, i can tell because of what i said before.
    10-27-09 02:34 PM
    It affects BES as well. The links I get from subscribed threads on this site no longer work. I am on BES. So it is a total Cluster f@#$.

Will make following this site more difficult! LOL
    have you tried sending the email notifications to your work address? like forward them, and see if they show up as plain text or as HTML?
    10-27-09 02:35 PM
    If you click "get plain text" the links are click able.
    10-27-09 03:00 PM
    have you tried sending the email notifications to your work address? like forward them, and see if they show up as plain text or as HTML?
    Good point! CB has my yahoo account. Okay here is what happens:

• Forwarded from Blackberry to work account, and viewed on Blackberry: Links are dead
    • Sent plain text via outlook to my work account: Links are dead
    • Forwarded e-mail from Crackberry from my yahoo account to my work account Leaving it as Rich Text: Link worked
    • Forwarded e-mail from Crackberry from my yahoo account to my work account Changing it to plain text: Links are dead

The third test strikes me as odd. If Yahoo is receiving it as Rich Text, why isn't it rich text on my Black berry with a working link? And my options are set to receive HTML e-mail. Could it be that initially it is converted to plain text, but when forwarded BES/BIS is converting CB's e-mail to plain text???

So I sent a fifth e-mail which was rich text from Yahoo account to work and Yahoo account and those links were dead. Then I forwarded the rich text received from Yahoo account on PC to work account and that link was dead.

So again, why the CB e-mails don't work when they come in initially, but work when forwarded is strange to me since they seem to be sent as rich text or html.

10-27-09 03:13 PM
    Okay, I think the one e-mail where links worked was set as rich text. I believe I just set it worng in my yahoo account before I sent it. So if it is Rich or HTML it works, but as plain text it does not.
    10-27-09 03:23 PM
    If it was sent as Plain text, I don't have that option and the link does not work.
    10-27-09 03:24 PM
    exactly...so you're fully aware of the bug now, engine congrats!!!!
    10-27-09 03:24 PM
    exactly...so you're fully aware of the bug now, engine congrats!!!!
    Yeah, there's several brain cells i no longer need.
    10-27-09 03:26 PM
    Good point! CB has my yahoo account. Okay here is what happens:

• Forwarded from Blackberry to work account, and viewed on Blackberry: Links are dead
    • Sent plain text via outlook to my work account: Links are dead
    • Forwarded e-mail from Crackberry from my yahoo account to my work account Leaving it as Rich Text: Link worked
    • Forwarded e-mail from Crackberry from my yahoo account to my work account Changing it to plain text: Links are dead

The third test strikes me as odd. If Yahoo is receiving it as Rich Text, why isn't it rich text on my Black berry with a working link? And my options are set to receive HTML e-mail. Could it be that initially it is converted to plain text, but when forwarded BES/BIS is converting CB's e-mail to plain text???

So I sent a fifth e-mail which was rich text from Yahoo account to work and Yahoo account and those links were dead. Then I forwarded the rich text received from Yahoo account on PC to work account and that link was dead.

So again, why the CB e-mails don't work when they come in initially, but work when forwarded is strange to me since they seem to be sent as rich text or html.

and there in lies the issue....somehow the phone doesn't recognize the email as rich text, or is converting it to plain text...

try this:

turn off your radio, then reboot. the links work for me after i do this, but only for about 20 mins...

and i'm not sure if this is related, but i noticed this shortly after i noticed the links not working...the yahoo email icon doesn't have the custom graphic after a battery pull...i have to resend service books to get it back, then it goes away after awhile, or after a battery pull...
    10-27-09 03:26 PM
    wrong...the links don't work for us when in plain text...that's the issue at hand...they work in HTML or "rich text" format, but if i change to plain text, they don't work...
    10-27-09 03:28 PM
    So can we get Kevin to send e-mails from CB in HTML???
    10-27-09 03:35 PM
    Subscribed. Having the same issues. After a reboot it works great. Give it an hour or so and the links are no longer showing up. Is the only way to take care of this currently to just copy the link and paste it in the browser?
    10-27-09 04:48 PM
    I cannot take credit for finding this, but I was finally able to duplicate it (not a lot of people send me just text emails with weblinks in it. )

Bottom line is, if you have someone send you a text only email and it has a weblink of any kind, you cannot tap on the link and get it to highlight so you can click it to go there with the browser.

To add to this, with text only emails, NOTHING is selectable in them. In other words, if you have a phone number in the text only signature, you can't tap the number to highlight it and call the number.

Hmm Civ I just updated to 328 and I'm not having the same issue you are describing. In fact I followed your instructions and tested it out multiple times with different accounts. Yes I am on BIS and I can select hyperlinks and phone numbers in plain text and I can click on the links.. Even when I do the option plain text it converts any html link in an email to plain text which makes it nonclickable duh but it is still selectable.

Not sure what is wrong then.. or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    10-27-09 05:54 PM
    How are you guys able to select "get plain text"? It's not even listed as an option anymore like on the previous OS.
    10-27-09 05:59 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD