has anyone done this yet? and if so is it smooth, hard to hook up? any info will be good. thank you.
    01-21-09 09:41 PM
    I asked about doing this on a storm as I do it on my curve with Alltel. And when I talked to a friend who works for verizon he said it works ok. It is pretty complicated to set up. You have to download some verizon link up program. And then verizon charges 60 bucks a month and requires some type of agreement. And when you are not on Verizon's private owned network and it does not work at all. Just like their internet cards unless you are only in your home area on verizon's network so its sort of pointless to tether. And it is so expensive.
    01-21-09 10:08 PM
    yea that sucks, thats tho. damn verizon
    01-21-09 10:12 PM
    The information from the 2nd poster is a little wide of the mark. Thankfully.

I use my Storm as a tethered modem at least twice a week.

Verizon charges $10 a month for the service. There is no contract for that; you add the option to your account and you can drop it just as easily if you elect not to use it.

Yep; you need to download the software that handles the "dialup" process; linking your phone into the wireless network in Modem mode. The software also comes on a CD with your Storm when you purchase it. Once the phone is plugged into the laptop with the USB cable, launch the software and click the "CONNECT" button. It isn't complicated at all. Opening a web browser is only slightly less fiddly.

Speeds: I find my cable connection at home is slightly faster. I find the tethered connection quicker than the DSL line we have at the office.

It removes the need to find a wifi hotspot when I'm out and about with my laptop. It also gives me a dedicated connection to the internet which (in my mind at least; I'm no wireless network guru) is safer than linking into a public wifi link where anyone and their brother could be sitting there monitoring traffic.

It works like a charm. Definitely one of the BIG plus points of being a Verizon customer; the coverage is excellent and this service is just superb.

Hope that is a help.
    Last edited by sikpupi; 01-21-09 at 10:26 PM.
    01-21-09 10:23 PM
    To further clarify the information in post #4:

Actually, the cost for the feature depends on which data package you have. if you pay $44.99 per month for corporate email, tethering is $15.00 extra. If you are on the $29.99 email and web package, you will pay $30.00 extra for tethering. The net cost is $59.99 per month (the same cost as a mobile broadband card).

You can download the VZAccess Manager software from http:// vzam.net. The application itself is a free download. It is also included in the box with the phone.
    01-21-09 10:28 PM
    Paulcman: You're right about the $15; my bad on the $10

I am indeed on the enterprise plan.

Thanks for catching that Shows how much attention I pay to my monthly bill
    01-21-09 10:30 PM
    cool cool thanks, i might have to try it the first month and see if its needed and i really get a use for it. thanks again
    01-21-09 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD