Is it possible to tether Storm on standard 29.99 plan, I understand that because of large traffic from phone Verizon will boost plan to more expensive.

But still can you use your storm as modem with 29.99 plan. Or it is someway blocked with hardware?
    11-15-08 04:53 PM
    no, you will have to pay an additional 30 dollars to tether using ur computer and the built in modem on the storm, if your on a BES plan it will only be an extra 15
    11-15-08 04:55 PM
    There is a program called mobishark that installs the driver on your phone so you dont have to pay verizon there 15 dollars a month. Its a one time fee of 50 dollars i believe.
    11-15-08 06:16 PM
    I didn't have to pay anything for mobishark when I downloaded it on my curve. I don't use it often though as I only need it when I travel.
    11-15-08 08:30 PM
    I didn't have to pay anything for mobishark when I downloaded it on my curve. I don't use it often though as I only need it when I travel.
    do you ever get charged?
    11-15-08 08:33 PM
    nope. I don't use it much though. I just log for a few minutes to check a couple of blogs that I can't stand reading on my small BB screen.
    11-15-08 09:14 PM
    nope. I don't use it much though. I just log for a few minutes to check a couple of blogs that I can't stand reading on my small BB screen.
    how long have you been using it. Im pretty sure there wouldn't be a problem with any of the carriers as long as you didn't use as much data, but if they caught you and realized a data increase theyd probably remove your account
    11-15-08 09:15 PM
    mobishark's free trial is limited to 10 MB, so you are probably still under the limit and thats why it hasnt expired.
    11-15-08 11:58 PM
    Teathering with the nationwide email plans with Verizon is $15 I was told.

I'd much rather pay the $15 a month than run the risk of getting my account closed.
    11-16-08 12:02 AM

I'd much rather pay the $15 a month than run the risk of getting my account closed.
    who told you this?

because from what i have heard, if you have BES which is 45, it only costs 15
    but if you have BIS then it is 30
    11-16-08 12:08 AM
    who told you this?

This is the correct statement here. I went round and round with verizon on this one because when I got my BB and signed up for the blackberry plan I was told that I could have the tethering plan for an extra 15 a month. If you sign up for the 10MB plan on the hand held you can have the tethering for 15 a month as well. That makes no sense to me but that is the deal. Bottom line is far and real data usage with tethering and the phone you are paying a total of 60 a month.
    11-16-08 09:03 AM
    I think the way they do it is backwards.

$30 gets you "unlimited" data
    $50 gets you 5GB bandwidth with tethering!

Why don't they allow both to be tethering?

$30 gets you 2.5GB bandwidth
    $50 gets you 5GB bandwidth

You do whatever you want with the bandwidth!
    11-16-08 10:43 PM
    mobishark's free trial is limited to 10 MB, so you are probably still under the limit and thats why it hasnt expired.
    I'm sure you're right. I've only used it a couple of times for just a few minutes.
    11-16-08 10:47 PM
    who told you this?

I can atest to the fact that I have the BIS plan and I only pay $15 per month for unlimited tether. I've had this for over 6 months now.

I am on the family share plan with my Blackberry 8830 and 3 regular phones.
    11-16-08 11:15 PM
    When I asked they said if you had one of the "blackberry" plans, teathering was $15. I'm not sure if it's different or not if you get an individual plan and add the $30 BIS plan.

Are the "blackberry" plans (Nationwide Email/Messaging) for either BES or BIS? or BES only?
    11-16-08 11:37 PM
    Man, this thing is going to be expensive... I didn't know there were all these surcharges...

Any idea on how to figure out what to order? Verizon's website doesn't list any of the tethering options... Is there a price sheet that explains all the various options somewhere I can download?

I'm looking to get a Storm, with OWA email support, text messaging, internet, occasional tethering, and possibly Navigator for the GPS... I was originally looking at the premium personal plans because they seemed to include almost everything I needed, but now with all of these charges I am getting scared.

I think I am definitely going to need a basic BIS plan to do the e-mail, but I still don't know what else I need to get for the other features I listed above...

I think my current T-mobile bill of $77 is going to be a ton more on Verizon... Might have to second guess the Storm if it is going to be drastically more money...
    11-18-08 12:48 PM
    Yes, they have to get their money back in some way after all this $199 - $99 for Storm.
    11-18-08 01:32 PM
    The Asst. Mgr. at my local VZ store said this:

BB Data plan is an extra $29.99/mo. above the voice plan, which gives unlimited BIS e-mail and web browsing. Unlimited tethering adds another $15.00/mo. and does not require a BES account.

My question is if tethering is worth the extra cost. If I can get e-mail and browse the web on the Storm, what's the advantage of tethering?
    11-18-08 09:30 PM

They will probably give you a warning first. You should only be worried if you are using over 5gb+, if you are staying under the radar they won't know.
    11-18-08 09:33 PM
    All this talk of BIS & BES plans. When I look at VerizonWireless.com are only 3 plan types and no mention of BES/BIS. It looks like you can use either BES or BIS with any of the plans. Can some clarify these BIS and BES plans for Verizon?
    11-18-08 09:45 PM
    Probably oversimplifying, but I think the major difference is BES - Corporate or Company Blackberry Enterprise Server provided for you by your company, and BIS (Blackberry Individual Server/Service?), which is the category I guess us individual users would fall into.

At least that's what I understand from the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series, under Newbies above.
    Last edited by dd4au; 11-18-08 at 10:38 PM.
    11-18-08 10:34 PM
    random question.. can mobi shark or whatever the program is be downloaded or cracked for free (i.e. not pay for it... please save me the lectures)
    11-18-08 10:36 PM
    The Asst. Mgr. at my local VZ store said this:

BB Data plan is an extra $29.99/mo. above the voice plan, which gives unlimited BIS e-mail and web browsing. Unlimited tethering adds another $15.00/mo. and does not require a BES account.

My question is if tethering is worth the extra cost. If I can get e-mail and browse the web on the Storm, what's the advantage of tethering?
    Tethering is useful if you want to surf on the web with your laptop. I'm a contractor currently working for the government. I can't connect my personal laptop to the gov network so I tether to my curve and surf the web that way. I've also tethered my home computer to my phone when my internet was down.

I have the $30 BIS plan and only pay $15 for tethering.
    11-18-08 11:16 PM
    I would be interested in the tethering features except for the fact that you pay $15 extra and go from unlimited data to 5GB limit. I am really not sure how much data I use on the cell phone to know if this is an issue or not, but I don't like it.
    11-18-08 11:25 PM
    I would be interested in the tethering features except for the fact that you pay $15 extra and go from unlimited data to 5GB limit. I am really not sure how much data I use on the cell phone to know if this is an issue or not, but I don't like it.
    Read the fine print on those unlimited plans. They are capped at 5GB.
    11-18-08 11:34 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD