Hi,

I have a unlimited black berry data plan with Vodafone in Sydney.

What I want to know is, if i set up tethering connection to my laptop. Is the data that is used through the blackberry service or is it just plain old 3G / GPRS data that I will get billed for?

Chris
    03-04-09 08:58 PM
    Not sure how Vodafone handles it, but I'm pretty sure that VZW handles it through a regular old TCP (1xEV) connection when you tether.

I did a comparison on my phone and I'm almost positive that the BIS side is speed limited, or has a bottleneck somewhere that TCP doesn.t
    03-04-09 09:01 PM
    HMm any other thoughts? Im not so keen to try it out for a month at 50 cents a meg.
    03-04-09 09:11 PM
    HMm any other thoughts? Im not so keen to try it out for a month at 50 cents a meg.
    ouch. That's still better than VZWs pay per meg charges though. Do they not offer you the option to pay for a tethering plan? Or are you trying to use a program like Tetherberry. Not sure how vodafone does it, but the BIS that VZW pays for gets you BIS and TCP access. I have several programs that connect via TCP, not BIS, and I still never get charges for them.
    03-04-09 09:18 PM
    well yes there is a plan. but i dont want to spend anymore ona upgrade.

i remember on amy pearl i had a hack app that would pipe apps to use the BIS data pipe rather then tcp/ip anything like that for the storm?
    03-04-09 10:09 PM
    Tethering should be free, the charges for it are roberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 10:52 PM
    Go look for TetherBerry, it is a work around that uses your unlimited browsing, so there is no extra fee
    03-04-09 11:04 PM
    Nice! I heard it costs though so whats the point lol...
    03-04-09 11:41 PM
    Nice! I heard it costs though so whats the point lol...
    well, one time cost vs paying your carrier every month...
    03-05-09 01:09 PM
    There is a beta to sign up for at Tetherberry and a free trial at mobishark. A one time fee for unlimited access sounds pretty sweet to me

03-05-09 05:24 PM
    There is a beta to sign up for at Tetherberry and a free trial at mobishark. A one time fee for unlimited access sounds pretty sweet to me

ditto
    10char
    03-05-09 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD