My wife and I both have Tetherberry on our Storms with separate PCs and both of us just noticed that we can receive emails, but we cannot send emails while using Tetherberry. I have only used it for a few days. The emails just sit in our Outlook outbox and will only send once we connect with our normal cable connection. We are both on Windows 7 using Outlook 2003.

Any ideas?
    04-26-10 10:56 PM
    hmm do you click sync after you finish sending the e-mail ?
    04-26-10 11:02 PM
    have you tried using "windows live mail" on windows 7 ?
    04-26-10 11:03 PM
    No. Is this what you do?
    04-26-10 11:04 PM
    have you tried using "windows live mail" on windows 7 ?
    Windows Live does not have as much functionality as Outlook from what I can see.
    04-26-10 11:06 PM
    when i used outlook it was like always set to offline mode i would click send on the e-mail... but it was never really sent till i clicked "send/receive" i beleive.... not to sure.... i've been using "windows live mail" on win 7 since it was released...
    04-26-10 11:07 PM
    It automatically sends when I click send.
    04-26-10 11:09 PM
    so... are you saying it's working now ? or that, thats what it's suppost to do ? if not... after you click send.... click the send/receive button at the top of outlook....
    04-26-10 11:15 PM
    No, it does not work with Tetherberry. I was saying that Outlook is setup to send when I hit send.
    04-26-10 11:17 PM
    If you are using a pop3 email account, you need to use the SMTP server for you cell carrier when sending mail. I'm guessing that your email is provided from your cable provider, I.e; [email protected]. So your incoming mail server ( pop3) is something like mail.comcast.net and your outgoing mail server ( smtp ) is somethink like smtp.comcast.net. These are just examples.

In order to send with that same mail account while tethered, you need to change your smtp setting to your cell provider's smtp. Some carriers support this and some don't, in which case you could use your cable mail's webmail access while tethered.

Sorry if this is jumbled. I'm driving.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by travelingfool; 04-26-10 at 11:23 PM.
    04-26-10 11:19 PM
    My pop3 email account works perfectly for sending and receiving (for many years) when I am connected to my cable. It is only an issue when I use Tetherberry.
    04-26-10 11:24 PM
    My pop3 email account works perfectly for sending and receiving (for many years) when I am connected to my cable. It is only an issue when I use Tetherberry.
    Of course it does. But we're not talking about using your cable connection. Were talking about tethering. I don't want to retype it all again as I am driving.

Normally, when tethering or using an air card, you have to change the smtp server setting in Outlook to reflect your cell carrier's smtp.

However, the app Tether routes all traffic through their servers, so it may not work. I'll have to test it out later.

04-26-10 11:33 PM
    I thought I may have to do this while in Tetherberry but I wasn't sure. I'm not sure if Verizon will allow this. I will have to research.

Thanks for the support.
    04-26-10 11:38 PM
    I thought I may have to do this while in Tetherberry but I wasn't sure. I'm not sure if Verizon will allow this. I will have to research.

Thanks for the support.
    You're welcome. I know Verizon supports it, at least they did a year ago. However, this is when using VZW sanctioned methods of access, like using VZAM or DM to tether. In other words paying VZW a monthly fee to tether. Using Tetherberry circumvents their rules, violates their policy and uses it's own servers. This is why I'm not sure if it will work.

I use Tetherberry myself, but haven't tried smtp with it yet.

04-26-10 11:46 PM
    Looks like they no longer support smtp. You'll have to send via webmail.

support.vzw.com SMTP Shutdown

04-27-10 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD