Im going on a cruise this week to the carribian, i called vzw and am getting the global package activated, and just downloaded tetherberry so i can use my laptop on the cruise. now i have a few questions.

How much internet usage will put me at my 5gb cap.

Will i be able to use my webcam in my laptop using TB as the internet.

Will i be able to use the signal on the cruise and have that included in the global plan,

i asked vzw that last question but id rather doubble check with you guys because the vzw reps have absoultly NO idea what they are talking about.
    03-31-09 07:57 AM
    Just browsing the internet you should be fine, once you start streaming video from your webcam or watching videos you should keep track of your usage. If you log onto your account on vzw website you can see how much usage you are at for the month, it updates every few hours, I use that to watch my min when I talk alot during a month, I hate going over
    03-31-09 08:20 AM
    DEFINITELY check with the cruise ship company to see if your global plan covers using their system... I have a bad feeling that it won't. A cruise ship is like being in another country... maybe they'll play by VZW's rules, maybe they won't.
    Anybody remember this story?
    AT&T data card + Slingbox = $28,000 bill
    03-31-09 08:53 AM
    Naw in the ocean. Ull prolly be using maritime cell system. Which was covered under my global plan. Where r u going? Chances r that cruise ship might have wifi. Worth taking a look. Why does tetherberry have a 5 gig cap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 09:52 AM
    Wwwooaaahhhh buddy. DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE ON THAT CRUISE. TURN ALL CONNECTIONS OFF. YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER WILL MAKE YOU TOSS THEIR SALAD.

03-31-09 09:56 AM
    It is maritime if you are on one of these ships: MCP - Maritime Communications Partner

notably absent are royal caribbean and carnival, 2 of the biggest.
    03-31-09 10:05 AM
    Wwwooaaahhhh buddy. DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE ON THAT CRUISE. TURN ALL CONNECTIONS OFF. YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER WILL MAKE YOU TOSS THEIR SALAD.

DITTO!
    I've been on cruises and checked into this. The maritime roaming charges could be HUGE if available at all. You might be better checking with your cruise line to see if you can get a WiFi connection for your laptop in your room for a fee. It might save you much $$ in the long run.

I'll ask this question because I didn't see anyone else mention it...

Why bring your laptop on a cruise?
    03-31-09 10:24 AM
    Why bring your laptop on a cruise?
    I dunno about the OP, but I don't go *ANYWHERE* without at least one laptop, sometimes I take 2. Would be like leaving my right arm at home.
    03-31-09 10:46 AM
    I dunno about the OP, but I don't go *ANYWHERE* without at least one laptop, sometimes I take 2. Would be like leaving my right arm at home.
    IMP Cruises are for sipping cocktails with little umbrellas, catching some sun, and chillin' by the pool side. Not for pounding on a keyboard. You can do the latter at home AND at work! LOL
    03-31-09 11:00 AM
    IMP Cruises are for sipping cocktails with little umbrellas, catching some sun, and chillin' by the pool side. Not for pounding on a keyboard. You can do the latter at home AND at work! LOL
    We obviously don't use computers in the same way...you consider it to be a chore, I consider them to be very useful tools for everyday life...including life on vacation. Like I said, it would be like leaving my right arm at home. I can sip cocktails and sit by the pool at home, too. Cruises/Vacations are for relaxing and unwinding in whatever way you wish to do so... my unwinding often involves a computer and/or my blackberry.
    03-31-09 12:22 PM
    personally i wouldn't recommend tetherberry; i was readinq a thread about a kid who used tetherberry nd now his parents have to pay vzw a massive bill . i rather be safe than sorry when it comes to tetherin .. jus my own 2 cents
    03-31-09 01:25 PM
    We obviously don't use computers in the same way...you consider it to be a chore, I consider them to be very useful tools for everyday life...including life on vacation. Like I said, it would be like leaving my right arm at home. I can sip cocktails and sit by the pool at home, too. Cruises/Vacations are for relaxing and unwinding in whatever way you wish to do so... my unwinding often involves a computer and/or my blackberry.
    Your right on both accounts. I equate computers to work and you should do what is relaxing on vacation. There was a time when I did find free time on my PC relaxing, surfing through CB for example. But now if I'm on my PC, I'm usually working and if I'm on my PC my work can usually reach me. The last thing I want on vacation is work trying to reach me. In order for me to get the most out of my vacations these days I have to get totally unplugged.

It's the same with my BB. Work knows how to reach me on it. I hate to say this but on cruises I even leave my BB turned off and in my room!
    Last edited by Briman; 03-31-09 at 02:09 PM.
    03-31-09 01:54 PM
    Forget the internet, you're going on a cruise! lol
    03-31-09 01:57 PM
    I'm not talking about the internet, I'm talking about using my computer... two completely separate things
    I'm perfectly happy using my computer on vacation with zero connectivity... I can edit photos, edit video, etc. The stuff I enjoy but I don't have time to do at home. If I have connectivity, I'll upload said videos and photos while I'm sleeping so that family and friends can see what we are up to.
    03-31-09 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD