I searched, but couldnt find that anyone brought this up.

I was part of the Tetherberry beta, and during the beta when running a speed test through speedtest.net, it showed that the data was routing through an ISP based out of Montreal. During this time, my speeds were around 1000 kbps.

I purchaced Tetherberry, and now it looks like the data is being routed through an ISP in San Diego. My speeds are now around 600 kbps.

I thought that the data was being routed through RIM's BIS servers, so is this a change in Tetherberrry, or how RIM is handling BIS data?

Is anyone else seing that the data is going to San Diego? BTW, I am in DC.
    03-11-09 02:20 PM
    The early Tetherberry beta versions ran thru a server in Canada but it caused websites to identify the user as Canadian and displayed .ca versions of many popular sites. Later Tetherberry beta versions (and the final version) identifies the user's location...for instance US users now use a server in San Diego so that US version of popular sites load.
    03-11-09 02:32 PM
    I prefered the ca server as it fooled TSN georestriction and I was able to watch a few extra hockey games. Fortunately I still have Center Ice.
    03-11-09 02:42 PM
    Yeah, I'm disappointed that my connection speed has decreased likewise after they relocated their server. I wish they had picked a better ISP to host their machine. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the software/service or get a refund before the 30 days are up.

BTW, I'm located near San Diego myself.
    03-13-09 04:51 PM
    I just did a speakeasy speedtest and am still getting 1000+ kpbs down and ~250 kpbs up.

Considering ATT wants $30/mo (after fees/line) for 768/128 here, and the ridiculus vzw tether charge, I couldn't be happier. I'm not a hardcore internet user at home, though...so a $40 one time fee to be able to access my vpn and do some casual surfing at these speeds is just graaaaaaaaaaaaaaavy...
    03-13-09 08:35 PM

It changes depending on the time of day but this is the average. Direct tethering through VZW is the exact same speed.
    03-13-09 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD