If anyone is still having the Invalid Pointer error someone has put a post on the forum at tetherberry.com which they say the following helped them fix it. Can you give these a try and let me know if they helped?

"TRY THIS.....
    If you are on Verizon and have downloaded it both to the laptop and bberry, you can close bbmanager disconect your laptop from the internet and try this..... click the tetherberry icon on your computer when the box comes up it should say something like blackberry not connected or connect bberry, connect the bberry if it isnt already go to tetherberry on the bberry and start the program. Within a minute you should start seeing the numbers change and the red x on the laptop gone and it should work."

And then someone replied with:

"this works.

You have to have your usb cable UNPLUGGED when you start the desktop app. then plug in the BB. Then start the BB app. this has 100% success rate w/ me so far. stopping and starting the whole process w/out disconnecting the usb has only worked a few times for me."
    03-08-09 08:10 AM
    I searched the forums and I cant find resolution to the "uncaught exception" error I get on my storm with tetherberry. Love the program. Beta ends tomorrow. Want to buy it, but i need to get rid of this error. any sugestions

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 08:41 AM
    Just signed up for beta testing. Really looking forward to trying out this product! Thanks!
    03-08-09 09:31 AM
    I have T-Mobile and as far as I know tethering is free' whats the difference between using my phone as a modem, and downloading this beta to tether

Thanks
    03-08-09 11:36 AM

You have to have your usb cable UNPLUGGED when you start the desktop app. then plug in the BB. Then start the BB app. this has 100% success rate w/ me so far. stopping and starting the whole process w/out disconnecting the usb has only worked a few times for me."
    still no dice. this is REALLY getting annoying now lol. I sent you a PM
    03-08-09 11:41 AM
    Any word on pricing for the non-beta version tomorrow?

Also, how does my beta software know to stop working tomorrow? Is there a date set within the software itself? Or does it always check with some server while starting up?

Thanks...
    03-08-09 11:50 AM
    thats a known issue. you need to update your DM version.

Uninstall your current version. REBOOT

download the LATEST version, install. REBOOT

now try should fix...

and if you get TUNNEL error... to the person a few posts back. its because you DONT have your APN settings entered under TCP in options.
    what am i doing wrong? i have made multiple posts after multiple attempts and i STILL cannot get this to work. my patience is wearing very thin with this tetherberry
    03-08-09 12:02 PM
    who said the got this to work with xbox live and how?
    03-08-09 12:06 PM
    what am i doing wrong? i have made multiple posts after multiple attempts and i STILL cannot get this to work. my patience is wearing very thin with this tetherberry
    Something must be wrong with your machine, I've used this on 3 systems, run the installer and it works. Try to disable other network cards, I have to do that in vmware on my mac, but on my ThinkPad I don't.
    03-08-09 12:37 PM
    i cant get it to connect? i did what he instrucitons said, but ive never been able to get my storm to connect to desktop manager through usb. It just wont recognize it but a pop up box would come up when i plugged it in, anyone know what to do, i reinstalled and still the same
    03-08-09 12:44 PM
    Something must be wrong with your machine, I've used this on 3 systems, run the installer and it works. Try to disable other network cards, I have to do that in vmware on my mac, but on my ThinkPad I don't.
    After further investigation, when I plug my phone into my laptop, in network connections it shows that the tetherberry adapter is unplugged. What could be the cause? Bad driver?
    03-08-09 01:20 PM
    Has anyone with an unlocked Storm had much luck getting this to work with AT&T? Ive been working on it and troubleshooting it for two days with no luck at all.

Ive installed and reinstalled twice on both laptop (Vista 32 bit) and Storm (.109), have ensured network devices were disabled and have rebooted both numerous times. Ive also tried changing the VPN several times-I didnt want to jeapordize the browser and net not working by changing the VPN from the wap.cingular settings (needed for net to work on at&t) but tried the other AT&T settings just in case and received no luck as well.

At first it would connect (about a quarter of the time) and would just send packets, would not receive or offer full net connection. After changing the VPN settings to suggested settings the phone was forced from EDGE to edge and I received tunnel errors.

So, no luck getting it to work-Ive looked around quite a bit and havnt seen many people note it working with an unlocked storm on att but if anyone has any ideas Im game-

Thanks!
    03-08-09 02:05 PM
    I tried this app for the first time today on my Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista Basic. It took it about 30 seconds to work, and has worked thus far. This seems like a really nice app.
    03-08-09 04:43 PM
    How much will verzion charge 4 tethering? Does anyone knw?

03-08-09 04:59 PM
    Still have problems here. I have tried everything I can think of, and still get "invalid pointer" error. And YES I have un installed DM and everything several times. YES I have DM 4.7. I deleted my version of 4.7, went and redownloaded DM from RIM's site and installed. REBOOTED un installed tetherberry, re- downloaded and installed,

Keep getting same result. At first it tells me that I have a "NEWER" version of DM installed and should un install it! LOL -- I did that and even let tetherberry run the installer once. No help there.

I can connect to DM fine, and tetherberry on my device says it's connected.

The problem is somewhere within the install. Conflicting with something... I disabled AntiVirus ( Kaspersky), but that didn't help either.

I disconnected my internet connection, opened tetherberry, got the error msg, clicked ok, within 2 seconds I get another error msg....failed to connect to blackberry. I plug in my berry, and run the tetherberry app, but nada, nothing, no go.
    Normally I have no trouble troubleshooting these things, but this one is driving me crazy, especially since the majority of people have no probs. at all.
    03-08-09 05:10 PM
    Basically. the reason we are installing latest DM is for the USB drivers to be compatible with the storm / tetherberry i believe.

thats your problem..... your BB USB drivers are not updating...

if you search bb.com or with google u should be able to find a separate package for your BB USB drivers rather then installing the whole DM package with is huge.

perhaps your OS is a bit munted or something.
    03-08-09 05:39 PM
    How much will verzion charge 4 tethering? Does anyone knw?

I believe that verizon charges $15/month
    03-08-09 05:59 PM
    I believe that verizon charges $15/month
    Depends if you are BES or BIS ($15 or $45)
    03-08-09 06:15 PM
    does tetherberry works with international roaming?
    03-08-09 07:00 PM
    Basically. the reason we are installing latest DM is for the USB drivers to be compatible with the storm / tetherberry i believe.

thats your problem..... your BB USB drivers are not updating...

if you search bb.com or with google u should be able to find a separate package for your BB USB drivers rather then installing the whole DM package with is huge.

perhaps your OS is a bit munted or something.
    interesting.... I found this link for bb usb drivers http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dm-...5/#post1241028.

After running this, I get the SAME MESSAGE AS FROM THE TETHERBERRY INSTALL! It says that I have a "Newer version installed. Uninstall the newer version before installing this"
    Here's what I think.... For some reason I have newer updated drivers than tetherberry has. I'm gonna uninstall both again then reboot. Then run tetherberry again..........
    03-08-09 07:02 PM
    I'm gonna uninstall both again then reboot. Then run tetherberry again..........
    Well I did this and then had to reinstall device software. Now I have it working It asks me to connect and then when I do it says connected on both the berry, and the laptop.
    Only now when I open Interet Explorer, it won't load web sites, Uugggh!

I checked TCP settings and APN settings are enabled.

I'm not getting any errors at all now, just no internet pages loading?

I know most everybody had no issues with this, but I'm one of the lucky few who get to troubleshoot...endlessly

Any ideas on why it says i'm connected on both bb and laptop, no errors, and still no internet? -- open for more suggestions.
    03-08-09 08:30 PM
    Love the app! (reading 70+ pages was a PITA)

2 things..

1. prefer that I didn't have to use APN settings.
    2. Jury still out as to whether or not I'm going to be charged data for using this.

$30 once off (as I'm an extremely occasional user) with the ability to switch device/upgrade to newer device would be good.

I too am running vista ultimate 64bit install took a few seconds, installed with errors but the app works flawlessly.
    However, I am dissappointed that it uninstalled my desktop manager during the process.
    03-08-09 08:35 PM
    Well I did this and then had to reinstall device software. Now I have it working It asks me to connect and then when I do it says connected on both the berry, and the laptop.
    Only now when I open Interet Explorer, it won't load web sites, Uugggh!

I checked TCP settings and APN settings are enabled.

I'm not getting any errors at all now, just no internet pages loading?

I know most everybody had no issues with this, but I'm one of the lucky few who get to troubleshoot...endlessly

Any ideas on why it says i'm connected on both bb and laptop, no errors, and still no internet? -- open for more suggestions.
    go to network connections, disable wireless and your LAN connection. only leave the tetherberry adapter enabled.

Go to internet settings in internet explorer make sure, "automatically detect configuration" is not ticked as well as NO proxies entered.

try again. should work now.
    03-08-09 08:38 PM
    to the developer...

not sure if you are aware, but there is issues with desktop manager 4.7 and backing up devices successfully, I had 4.6 installed as I encountered no such errors with this... Perhaps having the option to use either 4.6 or 4.7 in the installer would be advantageous.. you might include a warning message that states something like "installing 4.7 USB drivers will uninstall previous versions of desktop manager"

Just a thought.
    03-08-09 10:09 PM
    Well tell us how much this app. is going to cost us.
    We have the over under at $50.00 at least tell us OVER or UNDER so I can pay off
    03-08-09 10:36 PM
1,668 ... 4142434445 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD