I agree, even if they allowed say 10 pin changes lifetime I'd be okay with that to an extent, it would stop people from changing every other day. Zero pin changes is unacceptable with the amount of warranty returns happening these days.
    03-09-09 12:30 PM
    $39.99 one time TetherBerry fee vs. 30.00 per month Verizon tethering fee. How much would Verizon make over a year if the same beta testers purchased it from them. Do the math. MobiShark, an inferior product is $10 more. The company created the software and they sell it for much cheaper than what was first mentioned. Why don't you create a similar program and sell it for .99 or better yet free.
    maybe it should've sold for .99 then

honestly.. i just cant justify paying over 40$ for an application that i rarely use.. i understand that there are others that will use it more than i do.. but honestly i was doing what the beta was implicating.. testing it..
    03-09-09 12:31 PM
    I am intersted to hear if this has the same or better speeds than using VZAccess on Verizon. I registered for the beta but did not get the information for the beta till yesterday and it was dead this morning before I got to try it. If this is not as fast as my current setup with VZAccess I will probably pass since I am not using past my 5gb on the tethered plan anyway.

Just curious, all replies appreciated.
    I have run both and they were the same speed and ease of use.
    03-09-09 12:33 PM
    then dont buy it? Why would you buy any app for any money if you are not going to use it? Just because you wont use it doesnt mean a ton of others wont.

I really fail to understand your logic.
    03-09-09 12:33 PM
    i dont have any logic in anything i state
    03-09-09 12:35 PM
    I'm like dc5dave, while this is cool I keep trying to think of when I'd need it! I'm like well at home if I wanted to sit outside... then I remember I have wireless. I have 2 offices, both have wifi and ethernet. When I visit my parents, they have wifi. Only time I can think of is going camping or something, since it's not often I'd be driving somewhere that I'd need my whole computer online and not just the BB browser. I think $39 is acceptable (or $51 canadian grr). Just the amount I use it it's not if I can't change my device. I understand the people saying $30 a month for Verizon vs $39, even if you did have to rebuy it later, you're saving tons. That's fine but not for people like myself that would never pay for a tether plan since it's not needed.

My point is that you have a huge market to capture here for people that would otherwise never consider a tether plan, but would buy this for convenience.
    03-09-09 12:36 PM
    My boss plans on purchasing this as his comapny BB has the enterprise data plan. He has no internet at home but this would bridge the gap, in theory. Aside from possible company ramifications, how long before Verizon or any other carrier tries banning this?
    I wonder if they will try to ban this application. I have a Slingbox and VZW has blocked the Slingbox port 5001 according to several posts over at Slingmedia.
    03-09-09 12:37 PM
    I wonder if they will try to ban this application. I have a Slingbox and VZW has blocked the Slingbox port 5001 according to several posts over at Slingmedia.
    It will be interesting to say the least. I'm sure the VZW lawyers are hard at work trying right now to word it just right but who knows. By no means do I claim to know anything about VZW but it would seem they are kinda of tied because the tetherberry data is just data, not tethered data so how could they know you are doing it??? Someone will correct me if I am wrong and I will happily retract my words...
    03-09-09 12:43 PM
    alright.. let's say the application gets the ban and you're @ your 31st day.. will tetherberry reimburse you?? or tell you youre SOL?
    03-09-09 12:45 PM
    I'm like dc5dave, while this is cool I keep trying to think of when I'd need it! I'm like well at home if I wanted to sit outside... then I remember I have wireless. I have 2 offices, both have wifi and ethernet. When I visit my parents, they have wifi. Only time I can think of is going camping or something, since it's not often I'd be driving somewhere that I'd need my whole computer online and not just the BB browser. I think $39 is acceptable (or $51 canadian grr). Just the amount I use it it's not if I can't change my device. I understand the people saying $30 a month for Verizon vs $39, even if you did have to rebuy it later, you're saving tons. That's fine but not for people like myself that would never pay for a tether plan since it's not needed.

My point is that you have a huge market to capture here for people that would otherwise never consider a tether plan, but would buy this for convenience.
    I agree, if I bought it would be for a "maybe" occurence that may or may not happen or for the time it might be more convenient to use my laptop instead. I travel so airport time has its' use but again I never wait that long and do I need my laptop. Changing devices is the key to making people buy this app and from everything I read so far, current TOS and FAQ on their site, there is no provision for it.

Unfortunately for us but a marketing ploy on their end, they don't state what the price will be after March 12th either. As suggested by a previous poster I may do what they are thinking, buy it and use the guarantee to return it if the policy doesn't change.
    03-09-09 12:49 PM
    alright.. let's say the application gets the ban and you're @ your 31st day.. will tetherberry reimburse you?? or tell you youre SOL?
    It seems like there are a lot of questions here that would benefit from an official TetherBerry response.
    03-09-09 12:51 PM
    maybe it should've sold for .99 then

honestly.. i just cant justify paying over 40$ for an application that i rarely use.. i understand that there are others that will use it more than i do.. but honestly i was doing what the beta was implicating.. testing it..

so then why pay for vzaccess?
    03-09-09 12:56 PM
    who says i pay for vzaccess though..?
    03-09-09 12:57 PM
    The guys at TetherBerry have decided that there will be a $9.95 fee for changing PINs from an old device to a new device. However if you can prove that your phone was defective and replaced for that reason we will make an exception to that rule.
    03-09-09 12:59 PM
    who says i pay for vzaccess though..?
    I think that's the point. If you don't pay for vzaccess, why does tetherberry even appeal to you? This is for people using or considering vzaccess.
    03-09-09 01:01 PM
    It will be interesting to say the least. I'm sure the VZW lawyers are hard at work trying right now to word it just right but who knows. By no means do I claim to know anything about VZW but it would seem they are kinda of tied because the tetherberry data is just data, not tethered data so how could they know you are doing it??? Someone will correct me if I am wrong and I will happily retract my words...
    I been a beta tester since this first came out and I got to say this is a very nice little package and now that they have finalized the pricing of under 40 bucks and a one time fee for now. I decided to go ahead and get it since the price looks like its an introductory one time price, I wonder if they plan of changing the price structure in the future but either way the early adopters that did sign up will hopefully be grandfathered in on the old price. Yes looks like you can go into your account and chage your pin as needed too so if you had to do a replacement I don't see that being much of a problem in the future. I will say I still have my reservation on how some ISP (Verizon in my case will handle this in the future. I look at it a cheap solution to teathering as as show Verizon charges 45 per month is your a BIS user and 15 a month if your a BES users which I woudl say 90% of us will fall under the BIS so if I get 1 month of use from this, I am okay with it. I don't plan on using this product to often but for the price I am willign to pay for the R&D time and long term server support of this product. I also think if Verizon wants to figure out how to block this in the future, it should be rather simple since all the tetherberry data transverses their network to a single Proxy machine that Tetherberry has setup some were in the US (Mid West is my guest from its IP address). Verizon could just put in a deny string into there network to block all traffic going or comming from this address. Like I said in the past I aslo still have my security concerns about this proxy type connection on a server connected to the internet this way, so I still plan to be carefull as to any personal information I may send via tetherberry like banking transactions and what not. Now this may not be a big concern but I tend to be more on the carefull side on these things.

Other than that I believe this product is a well thought out product and has meet the demands of the public and fits many users needs. I also feel the price is not so bad considering its a one time cost, come on guys we pay this much for other software we but on our computers.

Now a question to the Tetherberry guys ... Would you guys ever consider this same product and sell the client and server side of things so that a company can put your server application onto their own servers (BES Server) ?
    03-09-09 01:03 PM
    The guys at TetherBerry have decided that there will be a $9.95 fee for changing PINs from an old device to a new device. However if you can prove that your phone was defective and replaced for that reason we will make an exception to that rule.
    reasonable, but unnecessary. I don't believe there is a "manual" process that warrant a 10$ fee.
    03-09-09 01:03 PM
    this application is great i think its at a good price considering the alternatives. I was about to purchase this but then started to think when I would need it, and the answer is no where. Im sure there are people who need it, and I really believe this is the best option out there for you guys
    03-09-09 01:04 PM
    Why not wait a few months then purchase it. If you're not ever going to use it or it doesn't serve your purpose then I wouldn't purchase it either. I don't tether much at all, but its nice to know I can. Many hotels charge $10 a day for internet access and if you ever sit in a Starbucks, they charge too.
    03-09-09 01:07 PM
    this application is great i think its at a good price considering the alternatives. I was about to purchase this but then started to think when I would need it, and the answer is no where. Im sure there are people who need it, and I really believe this is the best option out there for you guys
    I agree that it is a difficult issue to evaulate. I have ATT Uverse so I get their wifi at any place that offers ATT. Which is every Starbucks on the planet. In other words, there is wi-fi within 2 blocks of me in every direction!

But, I am a DJ and being able to grab a song I forgot to bring or something I did not know about is a godsend. I work at a lot of hotels where they won't give you access so this would be great for me. So I will be purchasing.
    03-09-09 01:08 PM
    Guess I spoke to soon in my ealier reply to this, looks like they will be charging but also sounds like they are reasonable as far as if you can show proof of needing a replacement phone or if you replace your phone. I see their point in trying to limit the application from getting into the wild and every tom **** and harry has it and running it for free on a single users account.
    03-09-09 01:14 PM
    If we still have the evaluation version will it work? Just curious. Im debating buying this but am unsure how often I will actually use it...
    03-09-09 01:17 PM
    I find this acceptable as mentioned in a previous post. The guys that have 5 blackberries won't like it. 10 dollars to update when my contract is done isn't too bad. I would have said 5 would have been plenty to deter pin switching but with warranty's for free, its okay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 01:19 PM
    what will the price be after march 12? 60? 70?
    03-09-09 01:20 PM
    what will the price be after march 12? 60? 70?
    TetherBerry- use your BlackBerry as a modem for your laptop

03-09-09 01:21 PM
1,668 ... 4445464748 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD