lmao this is too funny, dave is still trying to say the iphone screen is a gimmick and not better than the previous gen. Old man, your eye dr's eyes must be as bad as yours then to say you have good vision and cant see the difference.

BTW i dont have one. My jesus phone fanboy friend got it but i played with the 3GS both side by side. Its not even a contest. The screen looks better in every respect.
    you don't read carefully enough (or maybe YOUR eyes are deficient. )

what I SAID WAS: for normal phone use the extra pixels on such a small screen are a waste. for viewing pictures, the difference is noticeable....and I STILL don't give a flying rat's *** about having that many pixels--I want a BIGGER screen--not a "oneupmanship" screen. Pixel count is kinda like bedsheet thread count. it doesn't necessarily follow that a higher thread count equates with more comfort/quality. If you want to claim that the small iPhone screen floats your boat, be my guest. I still say it's an unnecessary use of pixels when USED AS A PHONE. then again, most iPhone users are more concerned about being perceived as hip or cool, and anything about the phone they can brag about, turns them on. They can compartmentalize the fact the phone can't make or receive calls as well as other phones on other carriers, but hey, it's got a high res screen (whoopdee doo)
    07-12-10 01:42 PM
    Actually Dave I would say it is way more useful in normal use, like with text in webpages, emails, etc. That is where everyone I know has one sees the difference, not so much with pictures. Check one out for a bit and put it beside your Storm2 reading text. It is an amazing difference and one I hope finds its way to the next BB.
    07-12-10 03:15 PM
    Its funny dave, you are back peddling like a pro. You went from this
    The retina display is marketing, pure and simple. all those extra pixels don't do a thing for using it as a phone, and unless you can hold the phone 4" from your face, you'll not notice anything different about the display as compared to lower res screens.
    to changing you story to its just not USEFUL on the phone.

just admit your were wrong about the screen not being ANY different and just a gimmick
    07-12-10 03:30 PM
    gosh...so much new info here, LOL. To be honest, I've not yet seen the i4 and I'm not particularly anxious to run over to the AT&T store, put a hood over my head to hide my identity and run in to play, but hey, maybe after a few beers, I'll go for it.

I have to agree with Dave to some extent though. Increased resolution is all well and good, but when confined to a small area the size of a smartphone screen, the benefits are minimal. I'll withhold final opinion though, until I go play with it and do side by side comps. with my S2. Who knows, I may learn something like I did with the side-by-side with the Incredible.
    07-12-10 03:48 PM
    Any improvement, no matter how small, is still an improvement.
    If RIM came out with higher res screens, I wouldn't complain. However, I'm not sure I would want to dish out any extra cash for the privilege. I think the Storm2 screen is pretty good already.
    07-12-10 03:54 PM
    Its funny dave, you are back peddling like a pro. You went from this

to changing you story to its just not USEFUL on the phone.

just admit your were wrong about the screen not being ANY different and just a gimmick
    I didn't back pedal at all. If you have read ALL my opinion posts on the retina display, you'll see that I have been consistent, but have used different wording to express my thoughts in slightly different ways. I've always maintained that when used as a PHONE, the display's extra pixels are useless. For photos it looks a bit better. so what is it? a toy? a phone? an internet device? a photo frame? If it's not primarily a PHONE, I submit it's a TOY--a multipurpose personal electronic device. As a PHONE, it bites. As a toy, it's...well...it has many uses. I'm just not that into a small screen having so many pixels. Give me a larger screen or I call MEH! IF the X has decent battery life, gets Bluetooth voice dialing in 2.2, I could see myself getting a bit giddy over it. But not if it's phone functions suck, such as if it were to have a lousy speakerphone, lousy voice quality, lousy reception, etc. For me a cell phone's PRIMARY purpose is as a PHONE. The rest is "extra". That's where the iPhone-fans and I disagree. They want 1,000 fart apps. I want a cell that sounds great on phone calls.
    07-12-10 03:56 PM
    gosh...so much new info here, LOL. To be honest, I've not yet seen the i4 and I'm not particularly anxious to run over to the AT&T store, put a hood over my head to hide my identity and run in to play, but hey, maybe after a few beers, I'll go for it.

I have to agree with Dave to some extent though. Increased resolution is all well and good, but when confined to a small area the size of a smartphone screen, the benefits are minimal. I'll withhold final opinion though, until I go play with it and do side by side comps. with my S2. Who knows, I may learn something like I did with the side-by-side with the Incredible.
    After this summer, the de facto screen size will be 4+. Look at the slew of phones spotting the 4+ sizes: HTC EVO 4G on Sprint, Droid X on Verizon, HTC HD2 on T-Mobile, and Samsung Galaxy X (to be released on all major networks with catchy names as Captivate, Epic, etc). I am currently using the HTC EVO 4G and there it is pure joy to browse the web.

Of course, iPhone 4's IPS display technology is brilliant but a larger screen size trumps that experience, IMHO.
    07-12-10 04:02 PM
    After this summer, the de facto screen size will be 4+. Look at the slew of phones spotting the 4+ sizes: HTC EVO 4G on Sprint, Droid X on Verizon, HTC HD2 on T-Mobile, and Samsung Galaxy X (to be released on all major networks with catchy names as Captivate, Epic, etc). I am currently using the HTC EVO 4G and there it is pure joy to browse the web.

Of course, iPhone 4's IPS display technology is brilliant but a larger screen size trumps that experience, IMHO.
    I agree that there will be an onslaught of larger screens by early next year. The one's you mentioned are just the early vanguards. More to come!
    07-12-10 04:07 PM
    I didn't back pedal at all. If you have read ALL my opinion posts on the retina display, you'll see that I have been consistent, but have used different wording to express my thoughts in slightly different ways. I've always maintained that when used as a PHONE, the display's extra pixels are useless. For photos it looks a bit better. so what is it? a toy? a phone? an internet device? a photo frame? If it's not primarily a PHONE, I submit it's a TOY--a multipurpose personal electronic device. As a PHONE, it bites. As a toy, it's...well...it has many uses. I'm just not that into a small screen having so many pixels. Give me a larger screen or I call MEH! IF the X has decent battery life, gets Bluetooth voice dialing in 2.2, I could see myself getting a bit giddy over it. But not if it's phone functions suck, such as if it were to have a lousy speakerphone, lousy voice quality, lousy reception, etc. For me a cell phone's PRIMARY purpose is as a PHONE. The rest is "extra". That's where the iPhone-fans and I disagree. They want 1,000 fart apps. I want a cell that sounds great on phone calls.
    WOW, Dave! You are not the only one that dislike the iPhone. Leave some of the bashing for others.

Bottom line is, Apple's IPS Display technology is great but they missed the mark on design of the iPhone 4. I will take their display technology over anything else that is available in the market at the moment. No one is even close. But larger size display will trump in the end.
    07-12-10 04:07 PM
    Possibly, and I'm one who is sitting here anxiously awaiting the Thursday unveiling at my VZW store, of the X. I'm very excited about this new device, though I have very serious reservations about the Android OS as it simply does not impress me all that much (just a personal thing).

I simply don't know about the screen size thing. While I welcome it, some may not. There has to be a tipping point where device size will reach its limits. I think devices like the X will have reached it, too many people will find them too large. But hey, that's pure speculation and we certainly don't want to do that here!

07-12-10 04:13 PM
    WOW, Dave! You are not the only one that dislike the iPhone. Leave some of the bashing for others.

Bottom line is, Apple's IPS Display technology is great but they missed the mark on design of the iPhone 4. I will take their display technology over anything else that is available in the market at the moment. No one is even close. But larger size display will trump in the end.
    oh, I know! there are plenty of folks who steer clear of Apple/AT&T! Let them speak up now!

There are lots of other options out there for smart phone buyers. Right off the bat, AT&T is a non-starter with me. I used to have Cingular so I KNOW first hand how bad it is to have a crappy carrier. My ex boss turned me on to Verizon back in 2001 when he lent me his Star Tac when I was having trouble with signals during a business trip with him. My cingular phones got no coverage at my place of employment, hardly any at home, none in most malls or large stores. By the end of the day that he lent me his Star Tac, I drove across town to sign up with Verizon (and I too, got Star Tacs) and suffered through the ETF with Cingular. What a difference! Our phones work everywhere.

oh, getting back to screens. I was disappointed in the poor black levels on the HTC EVO. Here's hoping the X has got black levels more like the Storm's.
    07-12-10 04:20 PM
    ...I will take their display technology over anything else that is available in the market at the moment. No one is even close. But larger size display will trump in the end.
    I would take their display technology if it included Surepress.
    I hope average screen size doesn't get too big. I don't want to carry around a tablet for making phone calls.
    The Storm is a good size for a phone.
    07-12-10 04:25 PM
    I would take their display technology if it included Surepress.
    I hope average screen size doesn't get too big. I don't want to carry around a tablet for making phone calls.
    The Storm is a good size for a phone.

at the "tablet" comment!

there would certainly be a segment of the public who couldn't handle owning a really large phone. folks with smaller hands like women and kids. My wife already has seen the HTC EVO and says she couldn't use a phone like that. She carries enough hardware with her every day as is (she, like me, wears an insulin pump). Having said that, she has relented a bit on size from when she cherished her diminutive Samsung. Her Storm2 is wider and taller and she has never been happier with a cell phone.
    07-12-10 04:29 PM
    Possibly, and I'm one who is sitting here anxiously awaiting the Thursday unveiling at my VZW store, of the X. I'm very excited about this new device, though I have very serious reservations about the Android OS as it simply does not impress me all that much (just a personal thing).

I simply don't know about the screen size thing. While I welcome it, some may not. There has to be a tipping point where device size will reach its limits. I think devices like the X will have reached it, too many people will find them too large. But hey, that's pure speculation and we certainly don't want to do that here!
    As a seasoned BB user, you may simply not enjoy Android OS if you look at it from the BB perspective. Personally, its appeal to me is the GUI and integration of Google Apps the way you will never find in any other platform (naturally). It is also very easy to root and to install cool apps like Wifi Tether (why pay for it?).
    07-12-10 04:33 PM
    oh, I know! there are plenty of folks who steer clear of Apple/AT&T! Let them speak up now!

oh, getting back to screens. I was disappointed in the poor black levels on the HTC EVO. Here's hoping the X has got black levels more like the Storm's.
    You are right about that definitely. The black levels is not rich when you compare it to newer displays out there. But the sheer screen size compensates.

Looks like PC World rates HTC EVO 4G screen is better than Droid X.
    Battle Royale 2: Smartphones face off, screen to screen | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    Last edited by brown_storm; 07-12-10 at 06:25 PM.
    07-12-10 04:43 PM
    If just a screen, another small LCD screen or maybe LED screen. So what if the screen is HD? You pp are really crazy over seeing small little things on the screen. If the eyes need read and see clear only with HD screen then you better go see a doctor!

Most important... must be able to read and see under bright sunny day!

Anyway, just crapping around have fun !!!
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-12-10 at 10:25 PM.
    07-12-10 10:22 PM
    You are right about that definitely. The black levels is not rich when you compare it to newer displays out there. But the sheer screen size compensates.

Looks like PC World rates HTC EVO 4G screen is better than Droid X.
    Battle Royale 2: Smartphones face off, screen to screen | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    looks to me like it's a comparison to the DROID--NOT the Droid X.
    07-13-10 01:52 AM
    looks to me like it's a comparison to the DROID--NOT the Droid X.
    I think you are right about that. I wonder why they did that when Droid X is already roaming in the wild. Oh well......
    07-13-10 09:04 AM
    I think you are right about that. I wonder why they did that when Droid X is already roaming in the wild. Oh well......
    I wish it was roaming around me. I'm anxious to see one.
    07-13-10 03:24 PM
    I wish it was roaming around me. I'm anxious to see one.
    Nice screen but I was completely underwhelmed by the phone itself. Another toy phone, IMO
    07-13-10 03:28 PM
    Nice screen but I was completely underwhelmed by the phone itself. Another toy phone, IMO
    sigh. I believe you. I'll go take a gander tomorrow, but I suspect I'll be echoing your opinion.
    07-14-10 06:52 PM
    sigh. I believe you. I'll go take a gander tomorrow, but I suspect I'll be echoing your opinion.
    I will look forward to your "review!"
    07-14-10 07:24 PM
    I will look forward to your "review!"
    The things I will try to cover will be:

1. screen brightness and contrast
    2. speaker phone loudness and clarity as well as earpiece sound quality
    3. build quality
    4. interface
    5. call quality, if I get the opportunity to call someone
    6. balance (due to the hump) since it will be tethered to the counter, I'll see if a salesperson will let me hold a "loose" sample X.
    7. responsiveness with one app and with several open.

What am I forgetting?
    07-14-10 07:37 PM
    @Dave1812:

Email, maybe?

Oh, that's right. You're not testing a BB.

My bad.
    07-14-10 07:43 PM
    @dave1812:

Email, maybe?

Oh, that's right. You're not testing a bb.

My bad.

07-14-10 07:56 PM
109 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD