Aha! It isn't forcing me to restart from the Telus WAP homepage, every time I switch into the browser it's opening a new Tab. Small progress but good none the less since I'm finding Opera Mini to be less than entirely cooperative.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 01:19 PM
    Aha! It isn't forcing me to restart from the Telus WAP homepage, every time I switch into the browser it's opening a new Tab.
    Hmf.. mine seems to appear as if tabs are 'locked out' - I see the initial 'tab', but no additional tabs, or way to add/remove tabs.

Is your message scrolling dead slow/laggy though? I'm not sure if I can put up with that even with a working browser....
    07-23-09 01:56 PM
    Aha! It isn't forcing me to restart from the Telus WAP homepage, every time I switch into the browser it's opening a new Tab. Small progress but good none the less since I'm finding Opera Mini to be less than entirely cooperative.

Opera Mini can be your friend, once configured.

In the Opera Mini settings, under Appearance, disable 'Auto-complete address input', and you should be golden (most if not all quirks on text entry are resolved by this).... it's a nice complement to the actual Blackberry browser, but for straight downloading content, you need the native browser up and running.
    07-23-09 02:01 PM
    I'm interest by the solution...
    07-23-09 02:06 PM
    My tabs are also 'locked out' as you described but when I use the WAP browser and navigate to a non-Telus page, switch applications, and switch back in it seems to automatically create a new tab. I don't seem to be able to manage them at all, they just appear.

Thanks for the Opera tips, I'll try them out and give it another shot.

07-23-09 02:38 PM
    As some people seem to have managed to install 5.0 on a storm of telus, it is a good idea that I try my luck as well?

When I tried yesterday, the browser was not present and the camera to "frezza.

Does lyridical to find a solution?

Thank you
    07-23-09 03:07 PM
    when I try download via a OTA link, I receive this message

uncaught.exception:java.lang.nullpointerexception
    after App Error 523
    07-23-09 03:12 PM
    when I try download via a OTA link, I receive this message

uncaught.exception:java.lang.nullpointerexception
    after App Error 523
    I get the same thing. Telus needs to update the service books. sadly I have done back down to .151
    07-23-09 03:40 PM
    Again, I initially had the browser working on my phone. I don't know why it worked, but it did, and I'm a BIS client. Alas though, after wiping and reinstalling the OS, it was gone. I'm also putting the blame on the service books, but I'm sure there's more to it than that because of the type of error that comes up. Bad service books should just keep the browser from appearing period, it shouldn't mess up the java files... or at least that's my understanding.

I think I'm going to take the risk and try to upgrade once more now that I'm back to .151, but we shall see. I might be back to .151 sooner than I think. Again, I'll post any findings I have.

EDIT: One other thing... I'm actually curious if Telus did do something to there service books... seems that most of us who upgraded early yesterday got the browser to work, but those of us who tried in the later afternoon/evening didn't.
    07-23-09 03:45 PM
    other thing... I'm actually curious if Telus did do something to there service books... seems that most of us who upgraded early yesterday got the browser to work, but those of us who tried in the later afternoon/evening didn't.
    if this was possible wouldn't every carrier do this?
    Last edited by Ntario; 07-23-09 at 05:36 PM.
    07-23-09 05:34 PM
    If you activate your device on Telus with BES, the BlackBerry browser does work fine. The 'Internet Browser' will not work.

BlackBerry browser icon pops up after bes activation. I found no way to get the 'Internet Browser' to show up.

I went back to 151 though...
    07-23-09 05:40 PM
    I can't get browser icon back... and i'm on a BES with Telus
    07-23-09 07:24 PM
    could be blocked on bes
    07-23-09 07:49 PM
    if this was possible wouldn't every carrier do this?
    Agreed, and I don't really see Telus making a conscious decision to try to prevent users from using 5.0 by only blocking BlackBerry Browser access. If they were really hellbent on not having 5.0 on their network (and why bother anyway?) I don't think they would decide to only remove that feature.

Also, I spoke to Data Support today twice and both times they checked this forum thread for information so it doesn't look like they're doing anything conniving to us 'early adopters'.
    Last edited by Ste7en; 07-23-09 at 08:12 PM. Reason: (correction)
    07-23-09 08:03 PM
    My Browser icon is gone totally. Along with my BBM 5. After the upgrade from .151 to .140 they were gone. I've tried everything I can think of to get the browser but nothing.
    07-23-09 08:35 PM
    Sparro, you're out of luck. You'd might as well downgrade back to .151
    07-23-09 09:08 PM
    Agreed, and I don't really see Telus making a conscious decision to try to prevent users from using 5.0 by only blocking BlackBerry Browser access. If they were really hellbent on not having 5.0 on their network (and why bother anyway?) I don't think they would decide to only remove that feature.

Also, I spoke to Data Support today twice and both times they checked this forum thread for information so it doesn't look like they're doing anything conniving to us 'early adopters'.
    FYI, the people you talk to on tech support wouldn't be involved in any service book development. They wouldn't even know about what's happening at the level of OS testing or preparing provisioning files and Service books. They are early level troubleshooters. Not that I'm saying anything against them, they do their jobs and do them well. But all I'm saying is that if Telus did somehow purposely mess things up, they wouldn't know.

Now then, that said, I'm not saying that this is what happened, but just that it's a possibility. And yes, Telus could do this if they wanted to (and what better system to mess up than the browser. You can't even download other OTA apps without it). Any carrier could do this if they wanted. The strange thing is that we haven't seen any Bell users with problems (yet).

All of this said though, there is something else going on here. I just tried loading 5.0 again and this time, I couldn't even access the Browser configuration options under Advanced Options. I'm literally at the end of my testing rope here. What I really wish at this point is that there was a better way to wipe the device (e.g. a full reformat), but this is above the options we have available for use.
    07-23-09 09:22 PM
    Sparro, you're out of luck. You'd might as well downgrade back to .151
    I think your right. I liked this build, it ran great on my storm. Google Maps worked great too... it locks with 3m accuracy. I can't get a lock on any 4.7 builds.
    Everything was great other than Browser and BBM. I guess its back down to .151 until there's a fix or another leak or an official 5.0 release.
    I will keep checking this thread in hopes that there is a fix one of these days!
    Thanks to everyone for all the input.
    07-23-09 09:31 PM
    I have been following this all day with hopes an answer would appear. I have to say that I love this OS and I have everything working except the browser. Even BBM5 is up and running. I am using Opera Mini right now which is excellent in all except it it will not download without defaulting to the BB browser. I am going to try too run it like for a few days with the hopes a solution will be found.
    07-23-09 09:45 PM
    Ok well i tried everything as well and its a no go.. the funny thing is it seems that 151 hybrid is running a **** of a lot smoother now. im using lyr's 6v5 highly recommend it!
    07-23-09 09:51 PM
    also on a side note i got a job offer from RIM to work in development! woohoooooo!!!
    07-23-09 09:51 PM
    Nice! How long ago did you apply?
    07-23-09 10:35 PM
    Ok, so I just launched my calendar to adjust my alarm (go go workarounds) and all of my entries have been deleted. There is a limit to my patience and what I'm willing to sacrifice and the calendar deletion just broke the camel's back. No browser, random resets, and now calendar wipes... I'll wait for the next version!

Krypto, thanks for the further insight into your opinions of what Telus may be doing to crack down on 5.0. I think I'll continue to follow this thread closely to see if any Telus-specific progress is made... in the meantime I have to find a Windows PC to downgrade with... darn BlackBerry taking their sweet time with DTM for Mac - that development job couldn't come soon enough latin_teacher85!
    07-23-09 11:49 PM
    that's depressing...
    I could have sworn someone said that they were using Bolt or Opera Mini without the main browser working.

It's a shame, other than the lack of browser and random reboots (7 so far today) it's a very nice build lol

I guess it's back to 151 until something less terrible comes along
    I had it installed earlier and was able to use both bolt and opera but couldn't download.

07-24-09 04:55 AM
    Having the same problem , but at least with this you have a browser until the fix comes out.
    GO TO TELUS WEB - ( IF YOU HAVE IT )
    IT TAKES YOU TO THAT STUPID PAGE THAT IS NO GOOD
    BUT..........
    ZOOM IN ON THE BOTTOM AND CLICK ON " pdahome"
    IT TAKES YOU TO A TELUS PAGE AND YOU CAN GO TO GOOGLE/MSNFROM THERE AND SURF AWAY

AT LEAST IT WORKS IS ALL I CAN SAY
    07-24-09 09:08 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD