When you goto Options, Screen/Keyboard, and scroll down to the Touchscreen section; what does the Tap Interval, and Hover Period settings do? I can't seem to figure them out, and I looked a the pdf file from bb.com and they dont seem to be listed.
    11-21-08 08:48 PM
    Been wondering this myself... I can pretty much guess what they do, but would like to hear a definitive explanation before I go messing with them.
    11-21-08 08:50 PM
    See, there's this little thing of papers that are glued together. It's called an instruction manual. It has the answers you are seeking.
    11-21-08 09:00 PM
    Been wondering this myself... I can pretty much guess what they do, but would like to hear a definitive explanation before I go messing with them.
    People on the Vodafone forums (using the 9500 model) seemed to indicate this is a major reason for the appearance of lag on the device. Setting things to fast were reported to clear up the lag in most cases.
    11-21-08 09:04 PM
    There's not instruction manual that came with my storm. Where can I find this information?
    11-21-08 10:40 PM
    See, there's this little thing of papers that are glued together. It's called an instruction manual. It has the answers you are seeking.
    Yes... I looked in the manual first, but could not find it... but thanks for the RUDE response. Or as sooks would say...
    what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    11-21-08 11:33 PM
    I changed the Tap interval to 500 and I like it. Good for a fast typer like me.
    11-21-08 11:40 PM
    I would love an answer to this also, what does the numbers do in relation to the setting. I still am having problems typing. Have been messing with settings all day. Anyone Anyone, CX maybe?
    11-22-08 12:10 AM
    bump I would also like an answer to this
    11-22-08 09:03 AM
    I'm curious as well.

I think tap interval at 500 is smoother, but not really sure I can back that up.
    11-22-08 12:00 PM
    There's not instruction manual that came with my storm. Where can I find this information?
    I was also disappointed to see that in lieu of a user's manual, we only got "tips, hints and shortcuts"

I found this posted elsewhere: rapidshare.com/files/160304376/stormmanual.pdf

But regardless, there is no description of Tap Interval or Hover Period...
    11-22-08 12:10 PM
    This post by thegasguru seems to explain their meaning... Not sure where he/she found this information (maybe by trial and error?) or how accurate it is, but I can definitely say that it helped with the sluggishness of my phone... or rather it probably DOESN'T affect the performance at all, just my perception of it... regardless the biggest difference I noticed was with the Swipe Sensitivity... Setting it to high made a drastic difference for me in the smoothness and speed of scrolling through messages and contacts... though it is still nowhere near the level of the iPhone... boy that was painful to say... but seriously scrolling through a list on the iphone is like spinning a well-oiled wheel running on ball bearings, whereas scrolling on the Storm is now a lot smoother (thanks to thegasguru's post), but still feels like dragging a sled through the snow... it will move fairly easily, but has no momentum... when you stop pulling... the sled stops moving. Let's hope the "early December" release fixes some of these issues.
    11-22-08 12:46 PM
    forums.crackberry.com/f86/day-1-hated-day-2-loving-these-tweaks-helped-99836/"]This post by thegasguru seems to explain their meaning... Not sure where he/she found this information (maybe by trial and error?) or how accurate it is, but I can definitely say that it helped with the sluggishness of my phone... or rather it probably DOESN'T affect the performance at all, just my perception of it... regardless the biggest difference I noticed was with the Swipe Sensitivity... Setting it to high made a drastic difference for me in the smoothness and speed of scrolling through messages and contacts... though it is still nowhere near the level of the iPhone... boy that was painful to say... but seriously scrolling through a list on the iphone is like spinning a well-oiled wheel running on ball bearings, whereas scrolling on the Storm is now a lot smoother (thanks to thegasguru's post), but still feels like dragging a sled through the snow... it will move fairly easily, but has no momentum... when you stop pulling... the sled stops moving. Let's hope the "early December" release fixes some of these issues.
    I'm not so sure about thegasguru's explanation because basically (I think) he describes the tap interval and hover period as affecting the same thing... the tap interval is the amount of time the screen takes to register your tap and the hover period is how long it takes the screen to recognize you touching it. Am i missing something???

And I love the sled analogy... let's hope the December release does fix something cause that's when all the snow comes
    11-22-08 03:10 PM
    In for a definite answer too!
    11-22-08 08:26 PM
    What are the defaults? I see no way to set them back if I don't like what I have done in Screen / Keyboard. Seems like an omission to me!
    11-23-08 01:53 PM
    YOU GUYS HAVE IT ALL WRONG.

Put it like this... The tap interval is the time needed between double clicks to register. Like in windows you can set the double click speed of the mouse. This is what the Tap interval is.

Which means when zooming in the browser you need to double tap the screen.

The higher the tap interval, the slower you can tap the screen. If the tap interval is 100, then you need to double tap really fast to zoom in on the browser...
    11-25-08 12:26 AM
    ::random comment claiming I know what this does::
    11-25-08 12:37 AM
    HOVER EXPLAINED!!!
    When you hover(lightly touch) on an email/text message it will eventually search for messages from/to a common sender.
    If you set hover to a higher number, it will take longer for it to initiate a search.
    If you set hover setting to a lower number, it will initiate the search faster.

I think each 100 = 1 second.

This is the only example through out my storm where it seems to make any difference... so far.

Try it out. Have Fun...
    Now the tap interval. No idea. Mine is set high(500) and i can still type fast as ****... in my eyes anyway.
    01-27-09 12:56 PM
    Yes... I looked in the manual first, but could not find it... but thanks for the RUDE response. Or as sooks would say...
    that made me laugh.
    01-27-09 01:17 PM
    i have read the fastest way to type is to set both hover and tap interval both to 100. so i tried it and i havent went back to anything else. im a teenager so i text nonstop and in my eyes with the two set to 100 i feel that im typing faster
    01-27-09 01:55 PM
    Hover has been explained... But can anyone explain tap interval... PLEASE NO MORE typing examples... We get it. It seems better the lower it is... But why does it make it better?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 01:58 PM
    *BUMP*

Any answers out there?

vtbert? You there?
    01-27-09 05:22 PM
    Hover has been explained... But can anyone explain tap interval... PLEASE NO MORE typing examples... We get it. It seems better the lower it is... But why does it make it better?
    It was explained... scroll back up to response #16

It has no direct impact on typing speed. It specifically works on double-clicking/tapping. All it would affect towards typing would be you could type faster without inadvertantly double-tapping when you didn't mean to.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 01-27-09 at 05:33 PM.
    01-27-09 05:29 PM
    Sometimes I no read good. thanks
    01-27-09 05:33 PM
    I was also disappointed to see that in lieu of a user's manual, we only got "tips, hints and shortcuts"

I found this posted elsewhere: rapidshare.com/files/160304376/stormmanual.pdf

But regardless, there is no description of Tap Interval or Hover Period...
    The VERY idea that the actual moderators of these Crackberry forums didn't even put together a manual for the Storm makes me sick ! I'm gonna report this to.... Glenn Beck ! I think that ALL moderator salaries should be eliminated ! Period ! Full stop ! End of Discussion !

Doctor Neutron
    01-27-09 05:50 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD