I received an email on April 5th from BlackBerry.com that an update was available for my Storm 2 and I should download the update. I downloaded the update .607 the next day. For the most part I didn't see much change. I did see a change with the Browser, Voice dialing, Bluetooth connections, and buttons that disappeared at times.
    1. The browser seems a little faster (Good) except when I click on a link in an email - then I get the message that I need a Wi-Fi connection to access the site - I didn't have to do that with the previous release (Bad).
    2. Voice dialing - the prompts sound more human and less tinny and the ding is missing after the prompt (Good). When I respond with Call Sue or who ever to the voice dialing I get the announcement number 1 (or some other number) then the area code and the number. I suspect the number is where the name is in my contact list or something similar (ok but annoying).
    3. Bluetooth connections - takes multiple attempts to connect my phone with a Bluetooth device like the handsfree that is built into my car (Bad). I have to turn up the volume on the Bluetooth device (Bad).
    4. Buttons that disappear - So far they all there for now (Good).

If anyone has a solution for any of these issues I would love to hear about them.

Next time an update comes out I think that I'll wait awhile before I load it.
    Last edited by NewBBUser2; 04-14-10 at 11:02 PM. Reason: I left out a key point about links in my post and the version number
    04-14-10 10:58 PM
    The big difference though, is that .607 was not a leak, it was an endorsed, approved, fortified, rectified, certified, notified, official release. People should be able to take it at least on some good faith, that the OS release is relatively bug free (realizing nothing is perfect), especially when the carrier is known for their "serious vetting" of software before authorizing it.
    But in actuality, an official release only means that Verizon endorses it. RIM still codes all of the leaks and official releases. Many times in the past, for whatever reason, there have been "official" releases by other carriers which have been better then the "official" release from Verizon.
    When my core apps have to wait for the developer to catch up, I never stay. .517 works good for me now, I see no reason to move to .607 (just my opinion and yes, I installed it and reverted back). I like hybrids myself and usually use them the longest.
    "Official" really means nothing here on Crackberry IMO. With the accessibility to leaks, it makes an "official" release just another release in reality.
    04-14-10 10:59 PM
    I am not a big fan of .607. So far the best Os I have run has been 517. It seems to me that most of the people who have raved about 607 came from Os 320 and never ran any leaks. Biggest reason I don't like 607 is my battery life has been reduced drastically! I can't make it through a day without having to charge.
    Just my two cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 11:11 PM
    I am honestly convinced this Dave guy works for Verizon. No doubt at all.

Idk pad...I think he works for RIM.

04-14-10 11:29 PM
    LOL! U obviously don't know my posting history. do some quick searches of my posts going back to last year and THEN tell me that u think I work for Verizon. NO ONE has complained less vocally than I have, in the past, with issues with my first S1's and S2's.
    Dude, say what you want, but if you really aren't a Verizon employee, then you really are a troll who started this topic with the sole intention of starting an argument.

04-14-10 11:59 PM
    I don't consider any issues specific to 607, to be showstoppers, do you?
    Showstopper for me is the volume issue with Bluetooth. This completely killed my ability to stream Pandora to my Motorcycle Headset and makes conversation tough as the volume went way down. Have to max out my headset volume. Works the same on the Moto Rokr in the car and I haven't paired my jawbone yet but heard the same complaints.

For me, this is the first OS that seems like a "downgrade" vs an upgrade. There are some many oddities like "try it" won't play audio samples for custom ringtones. WTF? Nobody in QA checked that? First time into my pictures it was abysmally slow and I had to open each folder and let it (presumably) build new thumbnails for each folder. Didn't have to do that in other versions. Also, the "click" is way too soft now. I find myself constantly clicking when trying to swipe because it's so sensitive. We should at least be able to adjust this since it's an electronic function. I digress...

I also noticed how bad the radio is in this version. I have a couple weak spots near my home but they are now "searching for signal" areas including a spot on Interstate 95 where I drop the call now. That's just inexcusable.

Yes, buggy apps too. Would think that Rim would have a better 3rd party developer program so that the 3rd party developers could get access to the new OS's and have a chance to update their apps instead of scrambling after it's released.

Huge thumbs down for me. Personally, if Verizon get's the iPhone I am done with RIM period. The only compelling thing about the device is the high degree of integration with calendar and exchange email. Other than that, I could easily switch to an iphone and I've been a BB user since the Storm One.
    04-15-10 06:50 AM
    Over all I am very pleased with 607. A few issues I have are using Bluetooth. It works fine, but I get significant battery drain when using it for long periods of time. Some apps were a little querky but reinstalls fixed them. Before my company put a lock down on installing OS's, I often tested officials and leaks. 607 is in my top 5. People rave about the battery life of 517, but even if it improved my problem with Bluetooth and I could install it, I probably would not switch.
    04-15-10 07:05 AM
    After reading through most of the posts, here and other related forums, I would like to share my 2 cents here:

The definitions of "good OS" and "buggy OS" are highly objective. So, trying to argue for who is right or wrong, is simply wasting the time and energy. The forum purpose is simply to have a place to discuss and express individual's opinion.

For many users who's most of daily tasks were making/receiving calls, checking emails and SMS, view some web contents via Blackberry browser, then, they will most likely benefit from the new release with the improvement such as fast browser, quick touch screen response, battery utilization, etc. For them, they will be happy with the upgrade.

For others, often have specific way to customize the interface, screen layout, and specific way to using the device, extensively utilize the Bluetooth, BBM, other specific third party applications, etc., may have noticed some bugs and have to find work around with the new upgrade. For them, those could be frustrating, and don't feel the upgraded OS did not justify the improvement in value.

Both ends of spectrum have their compelling reasons to define this is a "good OS" and "buggy OS". And, there is absolutely no reason to try convincing the other end to accept either or.

For myself, the missing bottom row of buttons in call log and contact view is good enough for me to switch back to .517 because I got so used to call the voice mail from the call log view, and didn't want to re-training myself to do it either from dialing pad or via Blackberry menu.

So, let's continue sharing our thoughts, finding, tips, tricks, and not try to convince the others to change their opinions.
    04-15-10 08:21 AM
    Maybe you like .607, Dave. There are others, including myself, who don't feel its worth the pain yet. Big deal. .607 is like any other leak. It has its good points and it has its bad points. When some of the app problems are fixed, I may move to it. If another leak comes out which has stronger points with fewer weak points, maybe more of use will install it.
    It seems funny that you are such a big defender of .607 without having tried any of the other leaks to fully understand that .607 may not be such a great OS!
    i think this is a key thing for alot of people. they just dont have the history or experience to really understand some things like why 607 is considered a subpar release. Most anyone who has ran 517 and then run 607 knows the +/- for each OS and even while on 607 i would say 517 is a better OS and VZW should have passed that over 607 anyday. The only reason 607 is tolerable for me is because i have BBM beta so no keyboard issues and i dont have bluetooth headset issues, its integrated and can be tweaked with my car nav system.

The same thing happens with the storm 1 users that have not tried the storm 2. They say the storm 2 is nothing more than the storm 1 with more mem, wifi and better screen and that it doesnt justify the additional 180 you would have to pay to get it. But for those that have used both devices extensivly know that the storm 2 is much more really and the whole experience is changed. The 180 is certainly worth it for most. Its just hard to understand some things without actually trying them and having the experience.
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-15-10 at 09:12 AM.
    04-15-10 09:08 AM
    i think this is a key thing for alot of people. they just dont have the history or experience to really understand some things like why 607 is considered a subpar release. Most anyone who has ran 517 and then run 607 knows the +/- for each OS and even while on 607 i would say 517 is a better OS and VZW should have passed that over 607 anyday. The only reason 607 is tolerable for me is because i have BBM beta so no keyboard issues and i dont have bluetooth headset issues, its integrated and can be tweaked with my car nav system.

The same thing happens with the storm 1 users that have not tried the storm 2. They say the storm 2 is nothing more than the storm 1 with more mem, wifi and better screen and that it doesnt justify the additional 180 you would have to pay to get it. But for those that have used both devices extensivly know that the storm 2 is much more really and the whole experience is changed. The 180 is certainly worth it for most. Its just hard to understand some things without actually trying them and having the experience.

Here is my equation.
    .607 < Dog S**t

Back to rocking .517 for the time being. Verizons head is so far up their rectums that they are gagging on their own tonsils. It takes a novice user about twenty minutes to say "WTF is this horse s**t!?"
    I love the storm two but wow! When am I going to catch a break and be able to use ALL of my phones advertised functions at the same time on one OS? RIM can suck hairy cabbage for all I care. They and Verizon both need a swift boot to the skull for this ongoing dog buggery.
    I know what's going on. Verizon is purposely trying to submarine the storm line so that they can sell more google phones. It is obviously the operating system they have chosen to run with. ****! I can't even chose google as my native search engine anymore!
    Anyone that thinks that this new OS is a good thing on the whole is dropping acid with a mayonnaise jar.

04-15-10 10:05 AM
    Oh... And for the record. Bing? Really? I mean... Really!?

04-15-10 10:29 AM
    The guy has to work for Verizon or at least be related closely with someone who does. I see absolutely no reason why he would blindly defend it otherwise.
    04-15-10 10:32 AM
    Or ... Second idea... He is a very very light user that does not require much of his storm and therefore is oblivious to the real world concerns and problems of a heavy user who has a Smart phone for a reason other than some pimple faced clerk saying "its the latest thing man!"
    This is the part when he comes back on to defend his unfounded and outlandish claims and just can not understand why some people are so mean and that maybe the problem is with us and not the OS and that I do believe in fairies! I do! I do! (Hopefully he takes this as his chance to just let this thread fall to the bottom of the abyss that is the annals of Crackberry flame fodder.) We shall see....

04-15-10 10:46 AM
    If you want to see what an absolute pair of clown shoes this Dave character is, just copy paste this phrase into your storm on googles home page (that is if you can get that feature to work).

Verizon Storm Two .607 Problems

Post the number of hits you get. Its fun!

04-15-10 11:02 AM
    I'll tell you, I have to agree with Dave here.
    I've been on a lot of forums, and this by far has the most whiners of any. By far.

I have had zero problems with .607. Great battery life, I easily switch between multiple bluetooth devices, and all apps work flawlessly.

Obviously .607 works, and works well. Instead of complaining, people should be trying to figure out why .607 is working for others and not for them. I'm guessing it has something to do with the install.
    04-15-10 11:10 AM
    I've been on a lot of forums, and this by far has the most whiners of any. By far.

I have had zero problems with .607. Great battery life, I easily switch between multiple bluetooth devices, and all apps work flawlessly.

Obviously .607 works, and works well. Instead of complaining, people should be trying to figure out why .607 is working for others and not for them. I'm guessing it has something to do with the install.
    I am guessing your the extreme minority with zero problems.

04-15-10 11:20 AM

BBM group chat keyboard issues broke
    Shazam broke
    RSA secureID broke
    newest version of google maps freezes

get back with me on fixes for those, ooh thats right, there are none.

Its not like its a bad install they are actual issues that have no fixes at this point. You are just a blind as dave is all....
    04-15-10 11:25 AM
    Jake storm has a big Kool-Aid stain on his mouth. Better lay off that stuff man or you will be as bad as the Apple Fanbois.

04-15-10 11:33 AM

Got to disagree with you both on the number of complaints on the other forums. The main difference is that in the other forums, the problems are in one or two threads. The forum members actually know how to use a forum (unlike on Crackberry). Same problems there as here. As far as doing something about, I know myself I will be trying Tank's hybrid tonight. If I don't like it, I will be back on .517. Not complaining at all. There are leaks that work for me with out all the headaches.
    As far as whining, people shouldn't throw rocks in a glass house, IMO.
    04-15-10 01:40 PM
    I love my Storm2 and agree it is RIM's best phone.

I have to disagree with your point about the polls. The poll in this forum only indicated that 50% of people were for sure keeping the OS. A 50/50 shot at an update is not stellar and I would hope not acceptable to RIM or any provider. Additionally, why were there not as many negative points about other leaks as there were before 607 was official? I think we have to face that 607 has stirred a lot of cases of issues. If I were RIM/VZW, I would have to view it as not a stellar release. Hopefully we will get a new leak that is less polarizing!
    RIM's best phone? Not at all. Use a 9700 and you will change your mind. 9700 runs circles around the S2.
    04-15-10 01:49 PM
    Oh, please....let's not degenerate into a "what's the best phone?" thread...we already have 467 of those running and every single one of them is not worth the bandwidth they're taking up.

Personally, I can't help but wonder if VZW didn't act a bit too hastily in releasing this OS as a quick fix to the sticking key issue. They were getting a LOT of returns and it appeared that those who were using leaks, had the problem resolved and then there was the hardware fix (silicone sleeves) which also seemed to work but entailed exchanges. Easier, cheaper and faster to simply release an official OS. Unfortunately, it wasn't the right one to release and while it fixed the keys, it introduced other issues.

RIM's best phone? Not at all. Use a 9700 and you will change your mind. 9700 runs circles around the S2.
    04-15-10 04:22 PM
    sERIOUSLY i DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS THE GRIP ABOUT. 607 IS ABOUT???

,607 is perfect to me. I'm not picky to even notice any bugs. But from all the releases and leaks the 9550 had, I never had a problem..

I think some of you is too dang picky or you dont do a wipe before upgrading. I do a wipe every time and I never ever had problems with leaks and OS that would cause me to grip about tit online or downgrade..

Seriously some of you need to rethink what your doing. I think most of this is user error or no wiping before upgrade...

Alot of you probably have 2 thousand emails and text messages on your phone and wonder why you have problems..

I dunno. I just dont get it...
    04-15-10 04:33 PM
    Those are some mighty big assumptions there. "Too picky" ???

A. I always do a wipe before installing, though it's not required.
    B. I have approximately 18 emails on my phone (I just checked). I always delete emails that arrive on my phone after I've read them, unless there's something special that I might need on the go. I have computers to keep emails.
    C. Text Messages? I just checked..yep, there's a slew of 'em...TWO! I HATE texting.

So, with that, I have bluetooth, but it's worthless as is. Google Maps, while working sorta/kinda/almost/but not quite, has given people countless problems. BBM Keyboard issue is well documented.

You know, when I had an S1, never experienced the problems I saw posted and I always wondered "how come these guys are having all those problems and I'm not?" But never did I assume that it was all "user error" or "too much data on the phone." If everything is working perfectly with .607 on your phone, you're one of the lucky ones. I wished you lived here, I'd love to hear just how much volume you're getting on BT. I'd love to see your keyboard pop up and work with all phases of BBM. I'd love to see all aspects of Google Maps work on your phone. I'd love to see a nice, steady, copy/paste feature on your phone.

,607 is perfect to me. I'm not picky to even notice any bugs. But from all the releases and leaks the 9550 had, I never had a problem..

I think some of you is too dang picky or you dont do a wipe before upgrading. I do a wipe every time and I never ever had problems with leaks and OS that would cause me to grip about tit online or downgrade..

Seriously some of you need to rethink what your doing. I think most of this is user error or no wiping before upgrade...

Alot of you probably have 2 thousand emails and text messages on your phone and wonder why you have problems..

04-15-10 05:03 PM

I think in reality you just want to stir up everyone by offending them and claiming we all must be stupid. Because you don't get it it does not make the issues real nor does it mean the people seeing them are stupid. You are just stirring up crap on purpose, and that is why you started yet another thread the same as this one. LMAO, children
    04-15-10 05:21 PM

Some of us are indeed picky. When I've used .320, .428, .451, .517, .607 plus a few hybrids along the way, I have some inkling of what to do when upgrading. Especially being a former 8130 owner who kept memory above 14mb at all times. I tried .607 and while it was ok for the most part, I had to write it off as a fail because it actually slowed me down - a mobile device should not require that I spend any amount of time fixing and/or trying to figure out what the problem is and waiting for reboot from a battery pull(s) that drain precious battery life. If it works for you great - stop telling people you don't have a problem and they do, perhaps atually help them fix theirs if you're going to continue your avid support of .607.

04-15-10 05:43 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD