you won't find very many! (I've checked Verizon forums, Blackberry Forums, supportforums/blackberry) Sure, on this forum u will find a number of redundant complaints from a few vocal people, but by and large, there's very little online chatter about the supposed "bad" OS release, 607. So the next time you want to vent about how "horrible" 607 is, take a look around at the lack of complaints and wonder if the problem might be an issue specific to your and your apps, rather than a systemic, common problem. Think "perspective".
    04-14-10 04:21 PM
    my complaints are not specifically about .607 but more about VZW choosing it as an official release. i have run .320, .428, .517, and .607 and the buggiest, by far, are the two used as "official" by VZW (.320 and .607). while .428 and .517 both had their issues, you are going to have far less complaints about them because they have not been pushed to people's phone by VZ. when your carrier advises you to update, you expect that the new OS will be solving problems, not creating them. is .607 definitively better or worse than any other OS released? no, but it certainly should NOT have been adopted by VZW when there are obviously alot of issues that still need to be ironed out. why was .607 deemed "passable" while .428 and .517 were not?
    04-14-10 04:31 PM
    When u were a kid, did you ever wait til the last minute to do your homework?

I think once an OS is released, vendors will then have the impetus they need to update their "broken" apps that don't play nice with the new OS. I don't consider any issues specific to 607, to be showstoppers, do you? Most of the complaints revolve around the BBM group keyboard thing, along with a couple of apps issues. Some of the complaints are more about "preference" than actual defects, IMO. The battery life complaints, IMO, are nothing more than phones running too many battery sucking utilities.
    04-14-10 04:35 PM
    none of them are dealbreakers IMO, but i have found that, for me, 517 offers better battery life and all the advantages of 607 without the issues pertaining to 3rd party apps. while 517 does have it's own set of issues, i find them to be much less glaring. i just have a hard time understanding why VZ adopted 607 instead of just following SaskTel's lead and using 517.
    04-14-10 04:41 PM
    Just downgraded to .517. Regardless the third party of apps, there is clearly bugs related to this version of OS. Such as missing button on Contact/Call log screen, missing half screen function in today's screen if there is a missng call listed. BBM keyboard issues. Longer booting time (compare to .517), memory utilization (ex. on my phone, free memory for .517 is 123.1M, and with .607 is 117.6M).
    04-14-10 04:43 PM
    none of them are dealbreakers IMO, but i have found that, for me, 517 offers better battery life and all the advantages of 607 without the issues pertaining to 3rd party apps. while 517 does have it's own set of issues, i find them to be much less glaring. i just have a hard time understanding why VZ adopted 607 instead of just following SaskTel's lead and using 517.
    I hear you. I've never used 517, so can't comment on it. I presume there had to be something about 517 that Verizon wasn't happy with.
    04-14-10 04:43 PM
    Mr. genius,
    Aside from the compatibility complaints of third party vendors' apps not working well on the official .607, I have a legitimate gripe. The .607 has an inferior radio or sfi. file compared to the .517. I live in an area that is fairly rural and reception and quality are crucial. It is impossible for me to have a phone conversation and receive any data while using the .607. I do not have this issue with the .517. I had this problem with the tour last year while I was running the .191. I have troubleshot this issue to death and have pinpointed the culprit. The .607 radio file is infirior to the .517.
    04-14-10 05:10 PM
    Why post a forum entry stating that the problems with 607 are just in everyone's head? I don't see the point.

Just to note, the 607 issues were identified before the release by VZW, and I doubt they are in everyone's head. The issues I had with 607 were real and not able to be corrected. The Bluetooth issues were simply inexcusable. The 3rd party app breaks were many, which points to the OS, not the 3rd party apps. The dropped calls in my house where I don't have any on 517 were the last thing that made me switch back.

Rarely are postings so numerous about issues on these forums when they are just mirages. I think part of the issue with minimal postings other places is that most learned or power BlackBerry users come to places like CB, and don't post at VZW or BB's site.
    04-14-10 05:20 PM
    I think dave1812 has a point actually. And looking at the poll of satisfaction with 607, seems most people are happy with it. It only seems like there's a problem because those with problems are usually the most vocal. Just human nature.

With regards to 320, I didn't have any of the reported problems with it at all. NOW, on 607, for example, do I have a text window problem. It scrolls up when I click the cursor to edit. That was something that people said was happening to them on 320. Never had that happen. Also, never had an issue with sticky keys.

I am still amazed at the varying experiences with the OS'es and BlackBerrys in general. I guess I should add that it doesn't matter what phone you have. The same thing happens with iPhones and Android phones. All of this technology is still a learning curve for developers (it seems to my novice eyes I admit).

I do want to say though that I think the Storm 2 is RIM's best phone hands down. Sorry Bold 9700. This is, of course, my opinion. Your mileage may vary...
    04-14-10 06:17 PM
    I love my Storm2 and agree it is RIM's best phone.

I have to disagree with your point about the polls. The poll in this forum only indicated that 50% of people were for sure keeping the OS. A 50/50 shot at an update is not stellar and I would hope not acceptable to RIM or any provider. Additionally, why were there not as many negative points about other leaks as there were before 607 was official? I think we have to face that 607 has stirred a lot of cases of issues. If I were RIM/VZW, I would have to view it as not a stellar release. Hopefully we will get a new leak that is less polarizing!
    04-14-10 06:49 PM
    I am honestly convinced this Dave guy works for Verizon. No doubt at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 06:55 PM
    Mr. genius,
    who is mr genius? if you were referring to me in a super-sarcastic way, let me assure you I'll simply never respond to you again, to save us all some unpleasantness. I've seen people put in temporary time outs for less rude comments...
    04-14-10 07:04 PM
    I am honestly convinced this Dave guy works for Verizon. No doubt at all.

LOL! U obviously don't know my posting history. do some quick searches of my posts going back to last year and THEN tell me that u think I work for Verizon. NO ONE has complained less vocally than I have, in the past, with issues with my first S1's and S2's.
    04-14-10 07:05 PM
    607 radio sucks. I travel and get AT&T like service with 607.

04-14-10 07:05 PM
    When u were a kid, did you ever wait til the last minute to do your homework?

I think once an OS is released, vendors will then have the impetus they need to update their "broken" apps that don't play nice with the new OS. I don't consider any issues specific to 607, to be showstoppers, do you? Most of the complaints revolve around the BBM group keyboard thing, along with a couple of apps issues. Some of the complaints are more about "preference" than actual defects, IMO. The battery life complaints, IMO, are nothing more than phones running too many battery sucking utilities.
    I always have real problem when people make statements like this. An OS patch or release should not "break" apps. I can understand free apps that are thrown out there and given away so someone can make some advertising bucks, but when I pay for a theme or app (.99, 1.99, 4.99, 19.99, 49.99 etc. etc.) an official OS push better NOT be making those apps unusable until the vendors get them "fixed". These OS's are not being made available to the vendors in advance (unless they pay someone to peruse the BB bulletin boards for "leaks", which isn't good business, IMO).

Speak whatever you will of MicroSoft, RedHat, IBM, HP but if they released patches or upgrades to their OS's that made, for example, Oracle client installs suddenly not work, you have hundreds of workers sitting unable to connect to databases, run scripts, input customer data. Sitting around waiting for the app vendor to find a fix.

Enterprise business would come to a screeching halt and lose millions of $ an hour. Governments would be idled, the Democrats wouldn't be able to spend money at lightspeed (hey there is a positive, lol) Indeed, with 607 I wasted 2 hours upgrading and then being unable to work, then another hour recovering my BB to the last OS and backup, which I take 3 times a week to prevent this type of issue.

They need a much better release/test process. JMO
    04-14-10 09:13 PM
    LOL! U obviously don't know my posting history. do some quick searches of my posts going back to last year and THEN tell me that u think I work for Verizon. NO ONE has complained less vocally than I have, in the past, with issues with my first S1's and S2's.
    OK, so someone from Verizon would be expected to be LESS vocal wouldn't they?
    04-14-10 09:16 PM
    First, I am not a regular "leak installer" as I simply do not want to spend all my time playing with and examining, every new leak that comes out. It may be fine and fun for some, but not for all. So, with that, I tend to wait for Official releases, though on occasion, I've messed with leaks. .320 actually worked quite well for me. I never felt compelled to mess with a leak. My phone worked well, all the features that I was interested in, performed as expected and there were very few problems (with the exception of the sticking key issue, but that was resolved with my replacement device and the hardware fix).

Dave, I can't agree with you on this one. First of all, forget about polls here, either pro- or con- for ANYTHING. They are not scientific, they are not unbiased, heck, even the questions themselves can be misleading!

There are two KEY issues that make this the worst Official release I've ever experienced. First and foremost, is the Bluetooth issue. It was totally irresponsible for VZW to bless this OS, when they HAD to know that bluetooth was, for all intents and purposes, worthless. I have EXCELLENT hearing and find that it's only good if there were an emergency. Never before have I had to tell callers "let me call you back when I can use the handset or I'm near a landline." If I attempt to use my bluetooth, and there's so much as a hybrid driving along side of me, I can't make out the full conversation. Unacceptable, especially since several states/cities are now banning driving if you're not using a handsfree device. No excuse, no exceptions, no "buts" this is unacceptable and certianly not something that may have just been "overlooked."

Second, I'm still on the fence with battery use. I don't have "tons of apps" installed. I have a few, plus a few games, but my daily use is fairly consistant. I'm still not ready to say battery life is not as good, but I've certainly noticed increased drain after phone calls or a period of web surfing. Again, the jury is still out for me, but I'm beginning to lean in that direction.

I agree, the specific complaint issues appears to be confined to a relatively limited number of issues: bluetooth, battery life, keyboard/BBM and some screwy things going on with Contacts and Calendar issues (though, that may very well be user error as it almost was with me until I discovered that my default email had changed, which would have messed things up..I had forgotten about that).

Look how many posts were made regarding the sticking key issue prior to the official release. They were hundreds and hundreds, but probably represented less than .01% of all Storm 2 users. So, complaints and kudos posted here, as well as the "polls" are totally irrelevent when trying to ascertain the veracity of an issue.

Then there's the user error issue. Heck, you know my own dumb mistake when I said that Google Maps "worked fine for me" in response to a post you made, only to discover that it was my interpretation that differed from those saying it didn't work. As I use Google Maps, it worked fine, but as some others use it, it did not work fine (and, like you, I've now removed it because it certainly does hang up the phone). Still, those are 3rd party issues and not RIM's responsibility, though I do not know of the procedure used to allow app publishers to test out iterations of an OS prior to release.

There may be only a select set of issues with .607, but the ones that are impacted, are critical ones.
    04-14-10 09:31 PM
    Yeah this new OS is terrible. More bugs than the last ones.
    04-14-10 09:33 PM
    OK, so someone from Verizon would be expected to be LESS vocal wouldn't they?
    My point flew over your head. You obviously didn't look back at my posts from last year. moving on...
    04-14-10 10:04 PM
    other than the bluetooth problem, mine is fine
    04-14-10 10:05 PM
    Mine trips all over itself when you try to look at pictures and the battery life is terrible.
    04-14-10 10:24 PM
    Maybe you like .607, Dave. There are others, including myself, who don't feel its worth the pain yet. Big deal. .607 is like any other leak. It has its good points and it has its bad points. When some of the app problems are fixed, I may move to it. If another leak comes out which has stronger points with fewer weak points, maybe more of use will install it.
    It seems funny that you are such a big defender of .607 without having tried any of the other leaks to fully understand that .607 may not be such a great OS!
    04-14-10 10:37 PM
    Maybe you like .607, Dave. There are others, including myself, who don't feel its worth the pain yet. Big deal. .607 is like any other leak. It has its good points and it has its bad points. When some of the app problems are fixed, I may move to it. If another leak comes out which has stronger points with fewer weak points, maybe more of use will install it.
    It seems funny that you are such a big defender of .607 without having tried any of the other leaks to fully understand that .607 may not be such a great OS!
    Well put, if I had known what a piece of crap this OS was I would have stayed on the last leak.
    04-14-10 10:42 PM
    The big difference though, is that .607 was not a leak, it was an endorsed, approved, fortified, rectified, certified, notified, official release. People should be able to take it at least on some good faith, that the OS release is relatively bug free (realizing nothing is perfect), especially when the carrier is known for their "serious vetting" of software before authorizing it.
    04-14-10 10:44 PM
    My point flew over your head. You obviously didn't look back at my posts from last year. moving on...
    You're just silly and you think you know what you're talking about. As you can see by the responses to the thread, you're the only one who does. moving on..
    04-14-10 10:52 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD