Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of data entry into a web based application using my Storm, and I am really struggling. I'm coming from a Pearl, so I am used to SureType, that is not the problem.

The problem is moving between fields and correcting typos.

Moving between fields: it would be a lot easier and more convenient if I could just TAB to the next field instead of trying to hit the next field with my fat finger. One out of two times I miss the field and go to the wrong one, or accidently zoom, or otherwise do something that I did not intend.

Correcting typos: are there some arrow keys I'm missing? If I miss a letter, or just need to fix part of a word, it would be easier to arrow back, fix it, then arrow forward again. Selecting the proper letter by touch is not easier for my fat finger.

Does anyone that does a lot of data entry have any tips?

Thanks!
    Nimrod
    02-11-09 07:15 PM
    Would you be comfortable with having even MORE screen being taken up by three additional keys? I for one would not, especially not in landscape, where your field of vision is already very limited.

Edit: However, i gesture across the screen would be a good idea, but I am not creative enough to think of anything but a swipe, which is already used in both the keyboard and the screen. A Left to Right swipe across the keyboard would do the trick though, like an "AS" to "L''
    02-11-09 08:02 PM
    As for text editing, hold your finger on the screen in the text box, anywhere. Wait until your blue cursor turns into a white box and then swipe your finger in the direction you want the white box to go
    02-11-09 08:05 PM
    I agree that adding THREE buttons would be a problem, but adding the TAB would save a ton of hassle. Adding the arrows to one of the alternate keyboard screens would be OK.

I am familiar with the blue cursor, white box trick, which works well over in the Messaging program, but works very poorly in an edit box in the web browser. I also struggle to see the white box under my fat finger.

I like your swipe suggestion for the tab. I think the original Palm I had 10 years ago had that to do a space.
    02-11-09 08:15 PM
    Maybe just add something to the OS so that whenever the keyboard is open, the volume rocker acts as arrows and another button is tab.
    02-11-09 08:17 PM
    Personally, I think the storm would be vastly improved with the addition of a good old trackballm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 09:43 PM
    Personally, I think the storm would be vastly improved with the addition of a good old trackballm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1 or at least a trackwheel on the side, as there is no room for a trackball on the front.
    02-11-09 11:52 PM
    I like the volume button idea. Too bad there isn't something like that already in there. This is the only reason I am missing my XV6700.
    02-12-09 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD