Will AT&T eventually get the Storm/Thunder touchscreen? Or is this a Verizon-only device for the long-haul?

I want a new Berry, but the Bold seems like it has too many problems. I definitely do not want to switch to Verizon in my area.

Any inside info anyone?
    10-29-08 02:17 PM
    it is CDMA right now, but the vodaphone version is gsm, so it is theoretically unlockable

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 02:20 PM
    The Vodafone version unlocked will work on AT&T but only on EDGE, that is the problem.

I have heard next year that there will be a GSM version for AT&T that should have Wi-Fi.

Most of the AT&T Bold issues you have heard about are unlocked Bolds that have been brought over to be used on AT&T. I can't say how the actual Bold that is sold from AT&T will do, but I doubt it will have the issues you have been hearing about.
    10-29-08 02:25 PM
    correct, the 3g bands for at&t are different than vodaphone

10-29-08 02:27 PM
    correct, the 3g bands for at&t are different than vodaphone

I'm just going to wait until AT&T gets the Storm -
    10-29-08 02:30 PM
    why does Att need the storm you all have the iPhone isnt one touch screen of this mangitude enough?

10-29-08 02:46 PM
    why does Att need the storm you all have the iPhone isnt one touch screen of this mangitude enough?

gives customers options
    10-29-08 03:08 PM
    gives customers options
    if thats the case then why are there exsclive deals every company would have all the phones avbl.

10-29-08 03:14 PM
    Just to be greedy I'm going to say I hope it stays only verizon until the iPhone is opened to all. I've suffered for over a year wanting an iPhone but not wanting to leave verizon.

US laws regarding phone licensing, etc. make me cry inside.
    10-29-08 03:16 PM
    Just to be greedy I'm going to say I hope it stays only verizon until the iPhone is opened to all. I've suffered for over a year wanting an iPhone but not wanting to leave verizon.

US laws regarding phone licensing, etc. make me cry inside.
    im in the same boat i wanted the iphone but didnt l want to leave VZW I didnt like the way the touch screen type so ibought the voyager nice phone but buggy and no rev A

10-29-08 03:22 PM
    I was sure to go to Best Buy and test a Dare and a Voyager over the summer. I was sold on the Dare but then the Blackberry rumors started to mill and I held off. Now I'm sold on the storm. My Alias is pretty good for basic but I'll be graduating college soon and a smart phone seems like a pretty solid upgrade.
    10-29-08 03:25 PM
    Aww poor AT&T won't have the storm. Please... I'm with moosc, Until the storm rumors, i have wanted an iPhone bad.. real bad... but i didn't want to leave verizon. Now that we get a phone that's cool, all the little AT&T people want to use it. Well Boo Hoo!!!!

disclaimer: AT&T sucks where I live and not many people here like it anyway
    10-29-08 06:39 PM
    Exclusives only last so long, take the Bold for example, it is suppose to only be exclusive to AT&T for 3 to 6 months.

The iPhone might only be exclusive until the end of this year, that is why the rumors of it coming to VZW have been going around.

I agree it's annoying to make phone exclusive, but the issue lies in the carriers, they use different bands which makes the companies have to incorporate everything into the phone or just make it work with one carrier.

I figure I am going to get the Bold. I can wait until the Storm comes to AT&T and if it doesn't, not big deal. Hopefully the Magnum will come to AT&T first though.
    10-30-08 06:33 AM
    Exclusives only last so long, take the Bold for example, it is suppose to only be exclusive to AT&T for 3 to 6 months.

The iPhone might only be exclusive until the end of this year, that is why the rumors of it coming to VZW have been going around.
    End of this year? that isn't what I've heard here is a bit from the USA today going back to July

www [DOT] usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2008-07-31-att-iphone-stephenson-apple_N.htm

(Not allowed to post links yet so use common sense where the [DOT] is concerned ]

In exchange for its payout, AT&T got a year extension, into 2010, on its exclusive distribution deal with Apple, people familiar with the matter say. Sources asked to not be named because the terms are confidential.
    By the time the iPhone is nolonger exclusive to AT&T we should be due for another iPhone model to be launched.
    10-30-08 10:02 AM
    Rogers and AT&T will get their own version of the Storm. But it will be in '09

10-30-08 10:04 AM

I have read rumors where VZW may be getting the iphone; for what it's worth
    10-30-08 10:17 AM
    Rogers and AT&T will get their own version of the Storm. But it will be in '09

Well, if this is true I may hold on to my Curve, and wait for the Bold/Storm options to both be on AT&T. I love the Curve and thought I would really want to go Bold, but it's kind of big you know? The Storm has a lot of what the iPhone has but with BlackBerry reliability and better e-mail functionality in my opinion. My wife's iPhone SUX - we have been back to the Apple Store like 4 times. Software patches, etc. aside RIM does a better job with this stuff than Apple from what I can see...

Bold or Storm? Bold or Storm??? Just cannot decide.........
    11-04-08 10:51 AM
    Engadget has a post about a GSM only storm clearing the FCC. They're fairly certain that a version is heading to AT&T in the future. Sorry don't have enough posts yet to put the URL.
    11-04-08 10:54 AM
    It's obviously in the works. I'd bet within 6 months you'll see the Storm on ATT/TMO and the Bold on Verizon/Sprint.
    11-04-08 11:55 AM
    It's obviously in the works. I'd bet within 6 months you'll see the Storm on ATT/TMO and the Bold on Verizon/Sprint.
    It's not "obviously" in the works....If it is then why does EVERY article I read say that it's exclusively for Verizon.

They wouldn't have made the Bold AND the Storm if they were going to put the Storm on both carriers.
    11-04-08 01:08 PM
    It's not "obviously" in the works....If it is then why does EVERY article I read say that it's exclusively for Verizon.

They wouldn't have made the Bold AND the Storm if they were going to put the Storm on both carriers.

From what we have heard internally, the storm will stay exclusive to VZW for a while depending on how it does. Also, the Bold was rumored(again internally) to be on the VZW network about 6-7 months after it was released. The one downfall with Verizon is that we dont always have the coolest phones...i mean the razor was out for 3 years when we finally got it(not saying thats a cool phone, but you get the idea lol)
    11-04-08 01:57 PM
    Engadget has a post about a GSM only storm clearing the FCC. They're fairly certain that a version is heading to AT&T in the future. Sorry don't have enough posts yet to put the URL.
    You do realize that if Vodaphone wants there version of the Storm to be able to roam in the US it needs to be approved by the FCC, right? This doesn't mean any US carrier is getting it, just that there is a GSM version that might be released in another country and that carriers user might bring said device to the US.
    11-04-08 02:04 PM
    Best bet is to try for an unlocked GSM Storm.
    11-04-08 02:05 PM
    There is a version of the Storm "in the works" right now for North American carriers. Won't see it until '09

11-04-08 02:07 PM
    You do realize that if Vodaphone wants there version of the Storm to be able to roam in the US it needs to be approved by the FCC, right? This doesn't mean any US carrier is getting it, just that there is a GSM version that might be released in another country and that carriers user might bring said device to the US.
    +1. I have the same thought.

11-04-08 02:07 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD