1. str8sNUTS's Avatar
    So I've tried GoogleSync, and was not impressed. I'm looking to sync my Outlook calendar and contacts with the Blackberry OTA, and googlesync just made a mess with my google contacts.

    I've seen a post about Funambol, but their website doesn't seem to provide alot of info (or maybe I'm not looking in the right spot).

    Does anyoe here use anything other than GoogleSync to sync Contacts and Calendar OTA? Thanks
    02-05-09 10:54 AM
  2. miata492's Avatar
    I would get ThinkPost!
    ThinkPost Communications - Home
    It works great and it is only $4 per month. I am pretty sure their code is based off of funambol (which I tried and it whacked out my calendar) but it actually works. I could not be more pleased with the service. I use BIS for my email still, but thinkpost handles the syncing of my contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes now. Vincent, the owner/developer of TP is great and responds immediately to your emails or calls.

    and no, i dont work for them or anything like that, i am just a happy customer!
    02-05-09 12:34 PM
  3. angeljim's Avatar
    I would like to know about this too, whats out there?
    02-05-09 05:15 PM
  4. toylvr's Avatar
    I've been testing out a few. Google Sync is ok, but I kept getting an error message in the sync icon on my BB. The Outlook Google sync won't run on my work desktop which is 64 bit so I had to put it on another pc that is ready to be taken offline soon.

    I did a trial with Berrysync, or should I say tried, but again, doesn't run on 64 bit and doesn't work on the Storm. This bit of information wasn't readily available on their website.

    I've been testing out Funambol for the past week, but I keep having trouble getting my calendar to sync now. I'm pretty sure the problem is with something in the root of my calendar. Plus, it blew out my picture contacts from Outlook. Then I created an account on Scheduleworld.com which you can use from the Funambol Outlook plugin. This uploads your you data to the Scheduleworld interface which is nicer than Funambol's.

    Last night I installed Astrasync's client on my phone as a 7 day trial. This one is not free. Yearly cost is $49. I like it because it can do a look up in your Exchange GAL for name resolution and there is also no middle man server. Goes straight to the BB. I still haven't been able to sync my calendar due to some connection issue. It sync'd my Contacts, but it did my main contacts folder and gave me no choice to choose anything else. I had a subfolder for BB contacts only. The only thing I really didn't care for was syncing email. It doesn't put them directly into the BB mail folder. It has its own interface for emails. I turned of email syncing and it removed them. Not really a problem because BIS takes care of email just fine.

    My next trial may be with NotifySync. I think the yearly cost is $150. If I like it even better and can get my job to pay for it, great. I won't be paying that kind of money for it myself.
    02-05-09 06:57 PM
  5. str8sNUTS's Avatar
    Thanks for the info toylvr. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on NotifySync, and I agree $150/yr is steep just to sync calendar/contacts. Keep us posted on your look at NotifySync.
    02-05-09 08:43 PM
  6. troutseth's Avatar
    We use Google sync here and it works great! HOWEVER, in helping a friend trying to get it set up I have a theory. For Google to work without duplicating or messing up contacts, I really think you need to start with a clean phone. I think if you sync outlook and google, then make sure everything is good there . . .THEN you set it up on a clean phone it should work.

    Like I said, it works great for our phone but we started from empty google and empty phone contacts and cal.
    02-05-09 10:41 PM
  7. jhinty's Avatar
    Google sync turned out to be a great workaround. DM kept crapping out syncing with outlook contact 290 of 336. Never could figure out whick contact was clogging the artery. In the process of resolving the issue I deleted all contacts. Wife and I have mirrored 8310's. Set her phone to sync with my G account. Then repeated process with my phone and I had all the contacts back. Curiously, the first sync and every subsequent one reports a server error. Can't 'splain it ... Just know the contacts are back.

    Went back to resync with DM and noted that about 120 of 336 contacts were going to be changed on the handset and Outlook. Names like "Fred and Wilma" (first name) "Flinstone" are being shuffled into three columns First-Middle-Last. Some sort of funky translational thing beteen Gsync-Outlook-8310.

    Stopping while I'm ahead (for now). Can't see paying 150/yr for a diff solution though.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD