I keep reading all these horror stories, yet I am running .75 and I love it. I am the one in a million user; good build quality, no software complaints.

I come from WinMo so this phone rocks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 11:14 AM
    Yeah its a tough decision. Downgrade to a phone that is almost 3 years old (curve) or wait till May until new phones come out.
    Its sad to think the Storm was made to compete with the iPhone.
    You know what is really sad is reading a post like this!!!! Every word coming out of your mouth is terrible, go get an iPhone and leave it at that.....I have had the world edition BB, the curve BB, and now Storm (1 original Storm since release day Nov. 21st)......I work for Verizon and can promise you that I see nit picky customers like yourself all day long. And to be quite honest those kinds of people (including yourself) are living in fantasy land. Where you want a new piece of technology but just are not savy enough to comprehend the device. I have probably 15-20 3rd party applications as well as VVM and VZ Navigator.....All run with "little or no problems" at all, i say "little" with a grain of salt, nothing is ever perfect!!

And back to the dumbest post of comparing it to the iPhone, no picture or video messaging available (just text) really???, no stereo bluetooth (i have here at my store probably 20+ phones with stereo bluetooth) really???, and if you didn't know there is no insurance offered on the iCrap from AT&T or Apple - really??? (probably a reason both the maker and the service provider don't offer it huh??) only through best buy ($15 a month) or through youre personel home insurance - really???....and the best line i hear from people every day is get me out of this iCrap and into a Storm (wanna know why?) they all consistently say that the iPhone drops calls in their own bedrooms - i mean come on now - really???????

anyways my point is for sure proven, proof is in the pudding. So either learn how to operate your device, which i could easily teach you in about 15 minutes or just go back to your motorola v3m razor!!! And stop posting here in Crackberry because i can assure you this is one of the BEST things that the STORM has going for it let alone any other BB device!!!!
    02-17-09 12:22 PM
    I keep reading all these horror stories, yet I am running .75 and I love it. I am the one in a million user; good build quality, no software complaints.

I come from WinMo so this phone rocks!

2 in a million. I have the same user experience.

I am coming from a dumbphone which helps.
    02-17-09 12:25 PM
    I'm on my 2nd storm since release date and Ive never had any real issue cept for the dust problem which I have resolved with the innocase 1 and plastic sheet protector. I'm on 103 and using my own theme with no problems. I'm 1/2 way through my 16g card with music, pics, movies, notes, streaming radio, etc and love the full vertical keyboard.

I haven't done a battery pull for about 2-3 weeks now or when ever.99 was leaked. I do reset my phone once a day using quickpull just to be safe. Wish you guys with storm problems had my luck with it.
    02-17-09 12:53 PM
    [QUOTE=SoK;1701505]honestly, compared to any phone i've had, this thing is pretty much full of bugs. everything freezes for me. I get calls where I can't answer, the lock is really slow or doesn't register, camera freezes up a lot, did a batt pull sat night and it wiped my phone.

batt pulls seemingly used to make the phone run a lot faster

I'm with you.
    02-17-09 01:41 PM
    What business capabilities does the Curve have that the Storm does not? Curve has 3G?
    02-17-09 01:53 PM
    Well, to be fair, the iPhone does have better GUI. But it stops from there. The AT&T network coverage is inferior to VzW. Many of my friends who own iPhones told me that. And many of them are not using the data side very much. It is practically a glorified iPod.

02-17-09 02:01 PM
    2 in a million. I have the same user experience.

I am coming from a dumbphone which helps.
    3 in a million. No problems here.
    02-17-09 02:08 PM
    3 in a million. No problems here.
    Had the same device since release day, running .75 by choice because frankly everything from the camera to the browser to the media player works fast and without problem on mine.

i do have quickpull scheduled to restart every night at 4am so it's fresh for the days work.
    Last edited by JBurn1; 02-17-09 at 02:15 PM. Reason: quickpull
    02-17-09 02:14 PM
    i've never had any issues with my storm that i didn't experience on my curve or pearl (both new to VZW at the time) and i can honestly say, having to do a battery pull once or twice a week is normal with any advanced data device. especially if you use it a lot. if you wanna complain about it go buy a palm treo 700p or 700w. then you will love your storm!
    02-17-09 02:34 PM
    What business capabilities does the Curve have that the Storm does not? Curve has 3G?
    "3G" has become almost a brand name for AT&T customers. VZW has had "3G" technology for as long as i can remember. the "EV" by your antenna indicator is your data connection, which is high speed. thats what "3G" is. all vzw phones have EVDO these days, good luck finding one without. its almost as hard as finding a phone without a camera! anyway, they have the same function, capabilities, etc. the curve has a keyboard and the storm has a touch screen. other than that you're lookin' at newer version of BBM that has different functions like you can set different preset status messages, etc. also with the touch screen and better resolution its more inviting to use for media purposes. so if you deal a lot with attachments, or web browsing, etc the storm is better for those purposes. the curve is just the safety sucker's bet for old school people who can't hang or are overly critical of their storm (IMO). none of the problems that the storm has had are any worse or less worse than any other issue ALL of the other blackberries have.
    02-17-09 02:38 PM
    4 in a million here.

OS .75, VZ Navigator, Visual Voice Mail, 10 other major applications running, and 3 lesser ones. Lots of MP3's and 3 mailboxes. I use it for business and personal needs including web browsing. Quirks-yes but nothing comes close to making it undesireable. Battery pulls occasionally but I did on my Pearl also. Sorry for your experience.

I switched to the Pearl Jan '08 after getting tired of waiting for the CDMA Curve. I think the Curve is nice but I would not switch to it after using my Storm. If however, I were you and could not resolve the troubles you had I would switch to the (3G) Curve. But knowing that it is possible for the Storm to run well enough for me with the load I have placed on it, it can and does work for others.

EVDO Rev A is a bit faster 3g than the Curve's EVDO Rev 0. As people have tried to point out both are 3g though.
    02-17-09 05:04 PM
    I have been using cell phone long before it becomes fashionable. Almost every model from every brand will have some issues that drive customers away. It is a free country, people can choose whatever they want based on their taste and their experience. It is meaningless to argue one phone is better than another phone. As I have said before, it is as meaningless as arguing Ford F-150 is better than Chevy Silverado.

I came from the WinMo world as well. It dated all the way back to the XDA device. This is the first time I bought a BB. But I love the Storm. I am still running the original .75 OS and I don't have any issue. The only complaint I have is not be able to access the SD card directly, without using Desktop Manager. But it is a VERY minor issue. The Storm has more up sides than down sides.

You can access the media card without DM. You have to change it in your media card options and turn on Mass Storage Mode. Then when you plug it in, it shows as a drive under "My computer"
    02-17-09 06:18 PM
    Are people just ignoring or accepted the Storms "quirks" because its a BlackBerry? The Storms software is terribly engineered. Its ridiculous that people accept that they need to do frequent battery pulls or download third party software that resets the device every night so it doesnt lock up during the day. BlackBerry is going to have a problem when palm launches the Pre and people realize they dont have to be stuck with phones that have substandard software. The Storm cant compare to the iPhone or the Pre. Both of which have better business capabilities.
    02-17-09 06:56 PM
    Are people just ignoring or accepted the Storms "quirks" because its a BlackBerry? The Storms software is terribly engineered. Its ridiculous that people accept that they need to do frequent battery pulls or download third party software that resets the device every night so it doesnt lock up during the day. BlackBerry is going to have a problem when palm launches the Pre and people realize they dont have to be stuck with phones that have substandard software. The Storm cant compare to the iPhone or the Pre. Both of which have better business capabilities.
    Maybe if we're talking pure hardware. Of course, the other component of a phone is what network it's on.

The iPhone is only on AT&T (as of right now).

The Pre is only on Sprint (as of right now). How you can compare the Storm to the pre-release videos of the Pre and come away with a definitive diagnosis is interesting but I'll pass on that.

Either way, if you're looking for a hot new touchscreen phone on a decent network, you're still looking at the Storm as of right now.
    02-17-09 07:32 PM

I hope Palm can produce a nice device. If they don't, they are unfortunately probably history. I have used and loved Palms for YEARS even though they had some quirks and reliability issues. But I would not buy one of their phones so far. The Pre is not even in production. Many things look promising. My son has an iPhone and it is fine but I would much rather use my Storm (typing and e-mail especially) in my business. YMMV.

"Quirks" are MINOR issues that you might wish are different. I have never had a technology device that DIDN'T have quirks.

I am sorry your Storm software was terribly engineered? Not mine!

I have no doubts you and some others have problems...it is just surprising why you can't understand many others don't have the same problems. I hope you find something that works for you.
    02-17-09 07:40 PM
    I had a 8310 with AT&T and absolutely loved the phone. Dropped calls maybe once a week. Then I started working for Verizon, so I ported out for the Storm on release day. I tried all the software updates, replaced the device twice, and finally gave up. S**t, I was doing Storm tutorials for my store when the Storm first came out. So Im not dummy to the device, or any Blackberry for that fact.

I went back into car sales Jan. 2nd, and couldnt stand the Storm. I just couldnt live with all the issues. Its sluggish, the call quality sucks, and it reboots right when you need it. So now I have a Curve 8330, and Im questioning it. The easy of use is hands down better than the Storm. The only thing I can say I miss is web browsing and watching movies, which I dont do either now(no time to play on my BB). Now Im constantly having people tell me thay cant understand me. IS it me, or do all Verizon Blackberries sound muffled?

Considering going back to AT&T when the 8900 drops!
    02-18-09 10:49 AM
    I had a 8310 with AT&T and absolutely loved the phone. Dropped calls maybe once a week. Then I started working for Verizon, so I ported out for the Storm on release day. I tried all the software updates, replaced the device twice, and finally gave up. S**t, I was doing Storm tutorials for my store when the Storm first came out. So Im not dummy to the device, or any Blackberry for that fact.

I went back into car sales Jan. 2nd, and couldnt stand the Storm. I just couldnt live with all the issues. Its sluggish, the call quality sucks, and it reboots right when you need it. So now I have a Curve 8330, and Im questioning it. The easy of use is hands down better than the Storm. The only thing I can say I miss is web browsing and watching movies, which I dont do either now(no time to play on my BB). Now Im constantly having people tell me thay cant understand me. IS it me, or do all Verizon Blackberries sound muffled?

Considering going back to AT&T when the 8900 drops!
    People not being able to understand you is probably a hardware problem, had this happen with my second storm.
    currently on storm #4 worst phone ive ever had, 4 phones in 3 months ugh
    02-18-09 11:10 AM
    Wow. When I read posts like this, I feel so sorry for the device owners. I got my Storm on Dec 30th. I works fine. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Get a Curve if you swap. It is a good device. Don't get the Omnia. Samsung touch screens suck. Ask some Gyde owners.
    you are actually just one of the stable ones. some peopel are wound up too tight...which is why we get threads like this. someone's wife is porkin the mailman and the milkman double team style and they are too lame to step up so they take it out on customer service people and ***** about everything. life must suck if this is your biggest problem and it causes this much rage and frustration.
    02-18-09 09:35 PM
    wow that really sucks. i am still using the Storm I got on 11/21. the only problem I had with it was that the bottom left corner wasn't clicking very well, but putting a small thin piece of cardboard on top of the battery fixed that. other than that the phone has been perfect for me. i have not had to do the battery pulls every day. in fact, over the period of time I have had the phone, the only time I have had to do a battery pull was a couple of days ago and that was because I got a new theme. i have not had any of the "dust under the screen" issues (knock on wood). the only complain I have is that I am still waiting for an official OS release. I am still running .75 which has worked great for me but am getting tired of waiting. I hope everything ends up working out for you.
    02-18-09 10:17 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD