The BlackBerry Storm is by far the worst phone Ive ever owned. I got the Storm on release day and am currently on my 4th replacement phone. Each phone I have had has been plagued with horrible software issues and terrible build quality. My most recent Storm was replaced because of dust under the screen.
    Ive contacted Verizon and complained about how the Storm is unusable, citing its frequent lock ups and need for several battery pulls per day. The customer service rep agreed with me and wrote a note on my account so that I could go to the store and exchange my Storm for different phone model. The service rep said my best option would be to switch to the Curve. When I asked about the Omnia he said "i do not recommend it" which I found shocking but anyway.
    Since Verizon doesnt currently offer a phone that has the same features as the Storm ie 3g plus business capabilities that BlackBerry offers I figured I would wait till they got new phones to switch. However seeing that new phones wont be out for at least 2 more months I dont think I can last that long with the Storm.
    Tomorrow I am going to call Verizon to see if they will temporarily give me a Curve to use until they get new phones that offer the features promised by the Storm, but with software and hardware that make the phone useable.
    Thoughts?
    Is anyone else having endless problems with the Storm (random restarts, lock ups, having to batt pull)?
    02-16-09 10:59 PM
    Man I would probably go back to your old phone. If not possible definitely the Curve. This is the most stable phone I have ever owned. Saved me mutiple times this weekend. maps, directions, restaurant reviews, phone numbers, weather, stores and locations, prices and comparisons (I was driving around Brazilian and Colombian doctors this weekend on a shopping spree). Not one battery pull, yeah its not as fancy as the storm, BUT IT WORKS. Sorry to hear your story man. Oh and I know I didnt answer your question, but I felt my post might help some what. And yes I am waiting for the "bold" or "curve 2" on Verizon, really hoping the MAY estimate is right. Birthday!
    02-16-09 11:06 PM
    honestly, compared to any phone i've had, this thing is pretty much full of bugs. everything freezes for me. I get calls where I can't answer, the lock is really slow or doesn't register, camera freezes up a lot, did a batt pull sat night and it wiped my phone.

batt pulls seemingly used to make the phone run a lot faster, but it's getting less and less noticable anymore.

im on .103. those are just the bigger things, there are a lot of lil annoyances that pop up
    02-16-09 11:42 PM
    honestly, compared to any phone i've had, this thing is pretty much full of bugs. everything freezes for me. I get calls where I can't answer, the lock is really slow or doesn't register, camera freezes up a lot, did a batt pull sat night and it wiped my phone.

batt pulls seemingly used to make the phone run a lot faster, but it's getting less and less noticable anymore.

im on .103. those are just the bigger things, there are a lot of lil annoyances that pop up
    I have absolutely none of these issues. It's either (1) software you're running, (2) too much data on the device, or (3) bad hardware.

If you're using BlackBerry Messenger, start by removing that. If you have Visual Voicemail, VZ Navigator, AOL/Yahoo/Google IM clients, maybe try removing some of those (you can easily re-install).

And if you have third party apps, be careful what you install. Be practical and don't keep a lot of crap on the device.

This isn't an LG or Samsung teenager device. It is a BlackBerry.

And in my experience, it is one of the most intriguing BlackBerries to date (the new Curve 8900 is pretty darn nice).
    02-16-09 11:50 PM
    I have been using WinMo, until recently when I got the Storm. WM isn't horrible since I was able to tweak everything, literally everything, I wanted on it. But the UI is outdated, 6.5 is a joke from what I see/hear, and developers aren't making apps for it. When I say apps, I refer to now common things like Facebook.

If it wasn't for WM, I would have kept the Omnia. It's a really good phone, although it seems to be unorganized with Samsung's added features. If you have been using BB's and want to stick with that, I say go with the Curve. Just don't get the Diamond.
    Last edited by TheChampJT; 02-17-09 at 12:01 AM.
    02-16-09 11:57 PM
    doesn't make storm the worst phone ever welll but maybe in your case.. maybe you just had a bad luck w/ it.

or maybe i just have been extremely lucky.
    02-17-09 12:02 AM
    Might be an idea to do a full wipe + install if you haven't already done so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 12:16 AM
    Dude you are such an *****, the curve is 3g and it has better business capabilities than the storm. You should think before you speak and not be such a complainer , you should've known what you were getting into before you got the phone because I know I did

02-17-09 12:29 AM
    Never had any worries with my storm either. Use it all day for both business and pleasure and it works fine. My girl has the same berry and doesn't have any issues either. Maybe we also have just been lucky. Suggest you wait until you can get the phone you really want.

02-17-09 03:59 AM
    i have to do battery pulls all the time but not had any other problems with it plus i really dont want to go into vodafone uk store as they are not very helpful really... but i dont have any other problems with it
    02-17-09 04:05 AM
    Dude you are such an *****, the curve is 3g and it has better business capabilities than the storm. You should think before you speak and not be such a complainer , you should've known what you were getting into before you got the phone because I know I did

Curve is not 3g, it doesnt support REV A
    02-17-09 05:51 AM
    I was going to swap myself. I actually had similar experiences, and I too called Verizon and they sent me a Curve. I was thinking my worries were going to be soon over. I got the curve 8330 and to be honest, I didn't like it. It seemed to be not as an easy flow as the storm. I think I got very used to the touch screen. I decided to keep the storm as my husband convinced me I was going to downgrade my phone and so I hope that a new update is available soon (currently running 7.5).
    02-17-09 06:37 AM
    Yeah its a tough decision. Downgrade to a phone that is almost 3 years old (curve) or wait till May until new phones come out.
    Its sad to think the Storm was made to compete with the iPhone.
    02-17-09 06:46 AM
    I have been using cell phone long before it becomes fashionable. Almost every model from every brand will have some issues that drive customers away. It is a free country, people can choose whatever they want based on their taste and their experience. It is meaningless to argue one phone is better than another phone. As I have said before, it is as meaningless as arguing Ford F-150 is better than Chevy Silverado.

I came from the WinMo world as well. It dated all the way back to the XDA device. This is the first time I bought a BB. But I love the Storm. I am still running the original .75 OS and I don't have any issue. The only complaint I have is not be able to access the SD card directly, without using Desktop Manager. But it is a VERY minor issue. The Storm has more up sides than down sides.

Last edited by substring; 02-17-09 at 06:55 AM.
    02-17-09 06:53 AM
    Its sad to think the Storm was made to compete with the iPhone.
    haha, I love this quote! If I had to choose between my storm and my iphone. I would chuck the Iphone in a lake.... My storm is far more stable and has more features that I use. To be honest though if I would have started with the Iphone I would have far more respect for the device. Its all in what you get used to.

As for your issue if you don't want the current curve I would do some more trouble shooting on your storm. Try reloading the OS after a wipe and NOT restoring your backup db's for an hour or two see if the phone is better. If it is reload your items one at a time, testing it a while inbetween, maybe you will find a bad DB is the cause. I've ran into this enough... If you got a month or two to wait might as well play. I lost track of how many storms I have here now (last count ~70) and none of them have any issues that people complain about. Yes, they could be better but all the users have had nothing but good things to say. Then again we all came from WinMo...
    Last edited by podawk; 02-17-09 at 08:03 AM.
    02-17-09 08:00 AM
    haha, I love this quote! If I had to choose between my storm and my iphone. I would chuck the Iphone in a lake.... My storm is far more stable and has more features that I use. To be honest though if I would have started with the Iphone I would have far more respect for the device. Its all in what you get used to.

As for your issue if you don't want the current curve I would do some more trouble shooting on your storm. Try reloading the OS after a wipe and NOT restoring your backup db's for an hour or two see if the phone is better. If it is reload your items one at a time, testing it a while inbetween, maybe you will find a bad DB is the cause. I've ran into this enough... If you got a month or two to wait might as well play. I lost track of how many storms I have here now (last count ~70) and none of them have any issues that people complain about. Yes, they could be better but all the users have had nothing but good things to say. Then again we all came from WinMo...
    Not to be rude but you must be joking. Storm more stable? (sorry I have to batt pull before I can finish this)

02-17-09 09:00 AM
    If it doesn't work for you, return and get a Curve.

For some of us, the Storm works perfectly.
    02-17-09 09:13 AM
    Havent had a problem with my storm since day one. I think the expectations are way too high for some people. If you have carried a blackberry for a while, you would know that occasionally they freeze up and you have to do a battery pull. Id say if you are having to pull the battery more than once a week, you either have bad hardware, or you are doing something on the device that it doesnt like, such as a 3rd party app or too many 3rd party apps. That being said, nobody guarantees that these 3rd party apps work right with the phone. Its not like they are putting hours and hours of testing into them, nor are they working with RIM to make sure they integrate into the device well.

There are so many variables into why each person has issues with their phone, it is a very ignorant to say that the device is faulty or a piece of junk. A more accurate statement might be that YOUR device doesnt work well, or the storm doesnt do all that YOU need it to.
    02-17-09 09:44 AM
    Companies are trying too hard to compete with the iPhone. BB and iPhone are two different phone types. The iPhone is for entertainment purposes mainly. Apple is not known for it's business applications. The curve is the best phone I have ever owned. Better than any new Windows mobile phones.
    02-17-09 09:52 AM

<------Laughs very hard.
    02-17-09 10:02 AM
    Not sure what's so funny. If you're seriously looking at the Curve and the Storm, you probably should research what you really want from the device.

One is all about stability and tried-and-true.

The other is on the other end of the spectrum.
    02-17-09 10:06 AM

You should read before you type my friend. The OP didn't say the Curve had better business capabilities, and the Curve IS 3G. 1XEV = 3G. Also imo the Curve IS a better phone. I have both and use them both daily. The Curve is far less problematic. I compare them like this. The Storm is a new puppy. You've got to house break and train him. The Curve is an older dog, he's fully trained and ready to go. You'll love and enjoy both dogs, but one might be a bit more frustrating than others. I have plenty of patience so I don't mind the Storm's quirks. But just because someone can't handle them, and they shouldn't be expected to in all honesty doesn't give you merit to bash someone. Maybe he should have thought more about it. Either way he is having terrible luck which is unfortunate, but not that rare when dealing with warranty replacements.
    02-17-09 10:20 AM
    You should read before you type my friend. The OP didn't say the Curve had better business capabilities, and the Curve IS 3G. 1XEV = 3G. Also imo the Curve IS a better phone. I have both and use them both daily. The Curve is far less problematic. I compare them like this. The Storm is a new puppy. You've got to house break and train him. The Curve is an older dog, he's fully trained and ready to go. You'll love and enjoy both dogs, but one might be a bit more frustrating than others. I have plenty of patience so I don't mind the Storm's quirks. But just because someone can't handle them, and they shouldn't be expected to in all honesty doesn't give you merit to bash someone. Maybe he should have thought more about it. Either way he is having terrible luck which is unfortunate, but not that rare when dealing with warranty replacements.
    EV without rev a is not 3g.

02-17-09 10:51 AM
    Actually the Curve is 3g. We have them where I work and they work better then the BB Storm. I have not had the problems you are having except for the very first one. Since then I found that downgrading the OS using desktop manager to an older version fixed all the problems. I have not had to replace my BB though. I am experimenting with cracked OS's and have a few problems with them but not with official old releases of the OS.
    02-17-09 10:55 AM
    Wow. When I read posts like this, I feel so sorry for the device owners. I got my Storm on Dec 30th. I works fine. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Get a Curve if you swap. It is a good device. Don't get the Omnia. Samsung touch screens suck. Ask some Gyde owners.
    02-17-09 11:03 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD