That is NOT a storm 1 cover. If you look at the pics there is no speaker port or side latches.
    The scratches on the back were from where the "Property of RIM" sticker was scratched off.
    Why didnt it fit flush ? also , why scratch off a sticker ?
    05-28-09 11:22 PM
    I beg to differ and would actually say that it would require more pressure for selection. With only 1 button all of the force is focused on a small point. By adding buttons, say to a total of 6, the screen is now supported by a significantly larger surface area and would actually require even more force to engage.

Think of it like a bed of nails... if you lay on 1 nail your entire body weight is focused on that one tiny point - you get impaled. But you if you add hundreds of nails, your body weight can be supported.

The only way that clicking would require less pressure than the current gen Storm would be if they used buttons that required less pressure to engage.
    Wrong. No one said that it would be the same button/switch. You can't believe that there is not a more sensitive button on the market. Also, having more than one button does not mean that all of them have to be pressed. It is possible that one or two would be pressed at a time to activate.
    05-28-09 11:40 PM
    Wrong. No one said that it would be the same button/switch. You can't believe that there is not a more sensitive button on the market. Also, having more than one button does not mean that all of them have to be pressed. It is possible that one or two would be pressed at a time to activate.
    Agreed 100% +99999999999
    05-28-09 11:50 PM
    Why didnt it fit flush ? also , why scratch off a sticker ?
    I don't know why it didn't fit flush, perhaps it been tossed around so much thats it's wonky... i don't know..
    But I do know, that is not a Storm 1 cover. How could it be? The storm 1 cover has latches on the side and an opening for the speaker port. That clearly does not.

Why scratch off the sticker.. again.. I don't know. But if you look at the first leaked pics with the dude in the car with the jeans.. it showed the standard "property of rim" sticker in that exact location.
    That sticker was scratched off alright.. but why? I don't know.
    05-28-09 11:56 PM
    Time to call in the UFO investigators on this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 12:11 AM
    Time to call in the UFO investigators on this one.

Sector 7 called, they are on it.
    05-29-09 12:42 AM
    As for the buttons, the only way it would require more force if it were close together. For example:

Code:
    @                   @

@

@                   @
    With a setup like that, you wouldn't need that much more pressure to activate the button(s). Also, who's to say the screen won't be OLED. OLEDs are very thin and flexible compared to current gen LCD screen. Or, instead of OLED, RIM could implement a pivot system with the screen. The possibilities are endless to what they may decide to do. By the way, they've already finalized the design, so just wait and see what pops up. It has a 6 month window to launch. It's possible that they've been through many pre-production models and decided which would be best.
    Last edited by Shadow.xXx; 05-29-09 at 12:48 AM.
    05-29-09 12:43 AM
    sure or true press is what makes the phone for me.
    I am glad that is staying
    05-29-09 05:06 AM
    sooks, seriously... now you're just being stoopid. Watch the video, the spash screen is Verizon. For the last time, YOU CAN'T CHANGE BRANDING WITH THE OS. Lay off the dope, it's turning you into one.
    So, if I take a VZW BlackBerry, and activate it on AT&T, and try to load on an OS from the AT&T website, it will still boot up as VZW?
    05-29-09 07:09 AM
    So, if I take a VZW BlackBerry, and activate it on AT&T, and try to load on an OS from the AT&T website, it will still boot up as VZW?
    Well look at all the leaked OS's. If you install the bell .122 on your verizon storm, it still boots with the verizon logo.

And there is no way thats the battery door from the storm 1. its totally different.
    05-29-09 07:24 AM
    Well look at all the leaked OS's. If you install the bell .122 on your verizon storm, it still boots with the verizon logo.

And there is no way thats the battery door from the storm 1. its totally different.
    Right... but I thought that's what deleting the vendor file solved. I guess it makes sense, cause then it still wouldn't boot with VZW or Bell. Ahhh well.

So what does the vendor file do anyways?
    05-29-09 07:39 AM
    Right... but I thought that's what deleting the vendor file solved. I guess it makes sense, cause then it still wouldn't boot with VZW or Bell. Ahhh well.

So what does the vendor file do anyways?
    All the Vendor file does is stop the Blackberry Desktop Software from installing an OS on your device if the vendor does not match...
    Basically its an XML file that says the software is for xxxx device on xxx vendor... Take a look at it, it's pretty obvious...

The "Splash Screen" must be burned into the device in an area that is NOT changed with the software update...
    When you update the software you are NOT changing everything on the device...

So the device shown was a Verizon branded device of some form or another... no questions about it.

Let's try and stick with reality here on this thread...

Things know:

1.) The "Storm 2" shown was a Verizon branded storm... it probably came from someone at Verizon that got a demo unit...

2.) The "Storm 2" shown was not fully functional... why was this? I'm guessing it had hardware missing... since the "click" would be handled at a hardware level and would more than likely be seen the same at the software level...

3.) CX, who has one or has used one and knows his stuff, has said there is "more than one button"... he has also said the screen gap is much smaller than it was before...

So let's all just take a deep breath, step back... stay calm... and get excited about a new Storm that will replace an already pretty decent phone...

I use my Storm hard and heavy all day long, for both business and personal usage... and I love it...

Cheers.
    Lee.
    05-29-09 07:59 AM
    I've decoded the mystery. If you break down Crucials sentence he has been talking to us in code.

Breaking down the sentence structure and inflection reveals an obvious hint that when held underneath a blacklight it says........

TRACKBALL.

There you have it. Straight science and a little decoding has solved this discussion once and for all.

All this speculating could go on for years bringing more diagrams, slideshows, engineering experts, proctologists and urologists.

We were all wrong.

It will have a trackball.

05-29-09 09:19 AM
    Exactly ! , im tlaking verizon branding on the phone its self not the splash screen, there is no verizon logo on the phone ( other then the boot up of 4.7.x.xxx , other than that this "VERIZON BRANDED DEVICE " is really just storm 2 with a forced load of 4.7 on there , and for whoever said the guts are so differnet , i disagree, its going to be the same with a different click(S) thats it. so i would assume 4.7 would boot, i mean **** WE GOT 5.0 FOR BOLD TO LOAD ON THE STORM , thoes internals are like crap and flowers.
    No you *****, YOU CANNOT CONTROL BRANDING WITH AN OS!!! How many times do I need to tell you this? Are you silly in the head? Load the Bell .122 OS on your fracking Storm and guess what? That's right, Verizon branding remains and the Verizon splash screen on startup will remain. After all this time with a BB, you still don't get this simple fact? I dunno man, you've lost some considerable intelligence points in my book.

Civic, now your being stoopid lol, IF IT WAS RELEASED FROM RIM IT WOULD HAVE HAD THE RIM START UP , NOT VERIZON , AT THIS POINT THERE WOULD BE NO REASON FOR A VERIZON SPLASH SCREEN, ITS SIMPLE IT WAS LOADED ON 4.7 OS... ITS THAT SIMPLE.
    ONCE AGAIN, YOU CANNOT INSTALL ANOTHER VENDOR OS ON A STORM (PRODUCTION OR OTHERWISE) AND HOPE TO CHANGE THE LOW LEVEL BRANDING ON THE UNIT. That Storm 2 in the video from EngadgetMobile HAS IT'S VENDOR ID SET TO 105 (Verizon). So, no, IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE, you're just being "simple minded".

No that was a storm 1 cover , if you look at the bottom where its supposed to click in , it wont close because new storm dosent have same mech.
    No, again, you're wrong. That was NOT a Storm 1 cover. It was the fingernail popup type cover that's on some of the new (not yet released) Blackberries. There will be no more external latches on the new covers. I think RIM's had too many complaints about latches breaking off or they experienced it enough themselves that they've simplified the designs a bit. The issue with it being popped up like that (slightly open) HAS NOT been answered by anyone credible yet. It could be as simple as the Engadget guy not latching it all the way by pressing firmly enough on it, or it could be the only sign that something wasn't right with that Storm to begin with (as in someone messed with the physical hardware to keep things like the screen from working or other things and in doing so, causes excessive clearence issues with the casing, so the battery door wouldn't fit properly on there.) Who know, but from the pics and the video, you can clearly see that the battery cover is the "new type" and not from a Storm 1. Geez man, how many times have you looked at the pics or the video? Look again, because you're wrong yet again.

That's correct, it won't work. Well, first of all, there's no VZW BB that AT&T has also, so finding an OS that matches "cross carrier" would not happen, but for the sake of the discussion (looking past the GSM vs CDMA carrier differences and model differences), the answer would still be no. Take for example downloading and loading .122 from Bell or Telus for the 9530 and installing it on your VZW 9530. It will load, but when it boots it won't have the Bell or Telus startup splash, IT'LL CONTINUE TO BOOT UP AS A VERIZON PHONE. Without low level branding software (that RIM uses in the manufacturing process of the devices), you won't be able to change that info. (I'm sure there's other ways to do it, but I don't feel like killing my Storm to find out (i.e. messing with other chipset flashing software).)

Anyway, this has all been covered SEVERAL times before for ANY and ALL Blackberries. It's like noob 101 at Summer School at that. Why do you think that when you upgrade your OS you DON'T change Branding Version on the phones? Anyway, listen to what I'm saying about this whole splash screen stuff... I'm not making it up, but it seems that for some reason (in this thread), unless CX backs up something, it's not true.... even if it's been known for a billion years. (i.e. I'm willing to bet sooks would probably tell me I'm wrong if I told him the sun rises from the East as well. )
    05-29-09 09:39 AM
    Thanks for the clarification from you and britishturbo. I was actually not aware that VZW and AT&T didn't share any BB models... but I do know about the difference between GSM and CDMA (worked for VZW in college).

Now the whole flexible screen idea makes a lot more sense... you could then have something like 9 buttons under the screen working. That way, the click feels more consistant yet you don't have the combined pressure needed to click all at once when selecting something from the center of the screen.

My only question about that, is how flexible are these screens? How good is the resolution? Will there be a drop off from the current model? If so, I'll pass..
    05-29-09 10:24 AM
    Actually, the whole flexible screen idea would be great. Instead of multiple buttons, you could use an array of button contacts like the one under normal keyboards (as mentioned earlier). The array could be under the entire screen and then the screen wouldn't need a lot of clearance on the edges to function. I actually thought this is how they were going to do it on the first Storm, but they didn't. No doubt the costs would be slightly higher going this route and the main board would have to be redesigned to house the entire array or they'd need another board for this in place of the current backplate for the screen design. One thing is for sure, this type of design would get rid of the chance that screen clicking could diminish over time. Something the current Storm is plagued with.

05-29-09 11:58 AM
    sure or true press is what makes the phone for me.
    I am glad that is staying
    Meee toooo.

I had thought that if they got rid of the "click" I would just keep the Storm I have, and get another just in case. But since the "click" is staying, bring it on.
    05-29-09 12:35 PM
    OK so what's the deal here - are they going to phase out Storm 1 when Storm 2 is released, or will both still be produced/available?
    05-29-09 01:24 PM
    OK so what's the deal here - are they going to phase out Storm 1 when Storm 2 is released, or will both still be produced/available?
    Considering Odin is an evolution of the Storm platform, there's no reason to keep producing the old ones. They already have 1Million in circulation.

05-29-09 02:03 PM
    Considering Odin is an evolution of the Storm platform, there's no reason to keep producing the old ones. They already have 1Million in circulation.

As long as they keep supporting the one we've got (which previous model history shows they probably will) with updates, this doesn't bother me much.
    05-29-09 03:55 PM
    I would seriously doubt that RIM would change the screen technology to have an array of buttons. This is adding too much complexity to what should be, and is, a proven technology with the one button.
    05-29-09 04:06 PM
    a proven technology with the one button.
    and I thought I smoked too much

05-29-09 04:30 PM
    It works fine on my phone and many others.
    05-29-09 05:20 PM
    Yes my statement was broad at the very least. No longer one button could mean none or more. Let me now clarify, there is more than one button.
    I would seriously doubt that RIM would change the screen technology to have an array of buttons. This is adding too much complexity to what should be, and is, a proven technology with the one button.
    It works fine on my phone and many others.

Apparently you didn't read this thread
    05-29-09 06:29 PM
    Thank God! LOL I actually think the SurePress is cool and works great.
    05-29-09 09:52 PM
207 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD