Hey Kevin how about you settle this is the storm3 with surepress or SureType or what ever yes or no ?
    05-16-10 07:53 AM
    I, for one, LOVE SurePress! Using my 9550 (and even 9530) is a million times easier than any other touch screen I've ever used on a phone. To me, it's night and day. It is extremely fast and allows for more control and a true feeling when you're using the phone, especially typing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 09:17 AM
    I wouldn't own a touch screen without surepress anymore. Period
    05-16-10 12:12 PM
    If RIM stops the surepress I will definitely be moving to Android. The whole reason I love the Storm series is because of surepress!

05-16-10 02:06 PM
    Funny, when there are numerous complaints on Crackberry about any device or feature of a device, people are quick to say that you don't get a true representation of the general public because people that are satisfied generally don't speak out. You can't have it both ways. Quoting a Crackberry poll only proves that the those who like surepress are those that obsess over anything blackberry anyway, not a true representation of the public in general.

Bottom line, it's a failure!
    Actually, looking at the bottom line (the bottom line shows whether a device is making money or losing money), I can guarentee that the Storm is the complete opposite of a failure. They are making a ****load of money off of the storm and the apps that run really well on the storm. Seriously, you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about here.

And to call it a gimmick is idiotic. It allows you to do 2 different clicks without doing anything special. You can touch the screen and get one result or you can click the screen and get a different result. You call it a failure, I call it the only reason I ever even considered a touch screen phone (I have the iPod touch and hate the limitations that the touch screen has).
    05-16-10 02:43 PM
    Actually, looking at the bottom line (the bottom line shows whether a device is making money or losing money), I can guarentee that the Storm is the complete opposite of a failure. They are making a ****load of money off of the storm and the apps that run really well on the storm. Seriously, you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about here.

And to call it a gimmick is idiotic. It allows you to do 2 different clicks without doing anything special. You can touch the screen and get one result or you can click the screen and get a different result. You call it a failure, I call it the only reason I ever even considered a touch screen phone (I have the iPod touch and hate the limitations that the touch screen has).
    Right on the money�

"I don't like it. Therefore it is a failure!"

05-16-10 03:32 PM
    Sorry pal. Even though I wish that I could be 16 again, I don't think that it's gonna happen. For the record though, I've owned BOTH storms and that is why I don't like surepress. If surepress is the overwhelming success that you claim it is, why would they even consider dropping it? But then again, that's RIM for ya!
    So clearly, because you don't like it, it's the worst phone ever, no one likes it, the technology is a failure, and that's that?

Well, using your logic, I don't really like you, so your life must be an epitomy of failure. And no matter what proof is presented, I'll just be a thick-headed jackass and ignore it.

I never said SurePress was an 'overwhelming success', and I really wish you morons that argue with no proof or anything on your side but an uneducated and childish opinion would stop trying to put words in other peoples mouths.

I said SurePress works well. It sold well. The Storm sold like hotcakes, (before people found out the mechanical failures) and those that knew the Storm2 was coming were all over it like flies on stink. I don't see how a phone that sells millions worldwide, earns an award for the technology used in it, and is backed by one of the richest companies around is a failure, but hey, why am I even bothering? God knows you're just going to ignore this (you clearly already know everything there is to know ) and continue on your anti-Storm tangent. I said it before, and I'll say it again, just take your negative crap somewhere else.

This post is awesome. <3 Nothing but truth there.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 05-16-10 at 08:06 PM.
    05-16-10 04:49 PM
    Guarentee... that is a little hard to do. There is no denying that the STORM has really "boosted" sales of RIM smartphones. But there is also no denying that the S1 as a device was a failure... how many of these devices were returned? (just love the posts that say, I'm on my 6th STORM and really love it), or how may technology reviewers just trashed the S1.

But ultimately the question is did the S1 help RIM to gain long term customers, or how many of them will stay away from a BB once their contract expires.... that may take another year or so to find the answer.

As for the S2, you can ask most any Verizon sales rep - after the DROID came on the market, sales of BB 2nd touchscreen have falling behind the first one. Even the BOGO offers have not help it much. But sales of the original BB form factor have remain strong... also with the BOGO offer.

I do agree that SUREPRESS is one of the most innovative things that RIM has done... and I would hate to see RIM give up on it. But unlike the simple fix the replacement the BB trackball is, the failure of the SUREPRESS mechanism is a very expensive item for the customer, carrier or RIM (whoever ends up covering it).
    05-16-10 05:05 PM
    Except how many Storm2's have been returned because the piezo buttons broke or failed?

Probably not too many. I'm willing to bet my phone that since Verizon did that 'we added silicon bumpers to make the bezel flush!' bullsh*t, there's been more Storm2's retuned than ever before, because every Joe Nobody and his mom wanted a new device just for the sake of it, when nothing was wrong with the old one. I've had mine since launch, never had any SurePress issues, and I'm sure many others here can make the same claim, which is (at least partially) WHY we love it so much.

The mechanical failures were seen much, much more in the Storm than the Storm2.
    05-16-10 05:10 PM
    The Storm1 and it SurePress issues are no longer relevant. No one expects RIM to backtrack and remove piezo technology in favour of the single button again.

05-16-10 07:30 PM
    The Storm1 and it SurePress issues are no longer relevant. No one expects RIM to backtrack and remove piezo technology in favour of the single button again.
    No they don't expect RIM to go back to the single button on the S1... but what Kevin seemed to indicate was that future BB touchscreens may not have clickable screens at all.
    05-17-10 03:16 PM
    ...Well, using your logic, I don't really like you, so your life must be an epitomy of failure....
    When you put it like that, his logic seems sound
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 05-17-10 at 03:46 PM.
    05-17-10 03:35 PM
    After days of reaserch, I can safely day that SurePress is dead.

It's being replaced by SureClick.

05-17-10 03:37 PM
    Oh yeah, add my vote as one who loves Surepress (SureClick ) and understands why it is here to stay.
    Mine is one of the early Storm2 (Oct 2009) and working flawlessly.
    05-17-10 03:50 PM
    I do agree that SUREPRESS is one of the most innovative things that RIM has done... and I would hate to see RIM give up on it. But unlike the simple fix the replacement the BB trackball is, the failure of the SUREPRESS mechanism is a very expensive item for the customer, carrier or RIM (whoever ends up covering it).
    If this is true, it is a very sad day for RIM.

The reason I bought the Storm was because it was the first touchscreen and it was a BB. At the time I could care less if it was a clickable screen or not. Now I've come to the conclusion as follows:

SureType = Awesome
    BB Stom 1/storm 2 = Awesome
    Surepress = garbage

For sure surepress on the storm 2 is better than on the storm 1. But to call it innovative and revolution is just denial. It truly is a gimmick and offers no more functionality than most phones.

All surepress does is make typing slower, introduce yet another component that can break. introduce lint/dust makes it on the back side of the screen, has been a source of pain for many storm users (re: see how to improve click tutorials and BB Storm 2 recall ) and make a whole bunch of noise when typing.

Yeah I get it some people like the tactile feedback, but to claim it offers "features" and is "innovative" is just strait out wrong. It's a matter of preference and that is all. And me personally I would like an option without a click screen.

=X=
    05-17-10 04:36 PM
    I don't see how anyone can like surepress, but of course, everyone has their preferences. That clicking screen annoys the heck out of me when I am texting and emailing all the time. I would rather have it be just a touch screen like the iPhone. But thats just my opinion.
    05-18-10 02:31 PM
    I absolutely LOVE surepress. I think the S2 has the best touchscreen available. I was pessimistic at first when playing with it in the store, but I realized touchscreen is the future so I had better get on board now. Definitely one of the deciding factors in getting the S2 over the Droid. It took a few days to get acclimated but now I can type on it like a stenographer.

I wonder if the people who are trashing it ever owned a Storm for more than a week?
    05-25-10 12:30 PM
    I absolutely LOVE surepress. I think the S2 has the best touchscreen available. I was pessimistic at first when playing with it in the store, but I realized touchscreen is the future so I had better get on board now. Definitely one of the deciding factors in getting the S2 over the Droid. It took a few days to get acclimated but now I can type on it like a stenographer.

I wonder if the people who are trashing it ever owned a Storm for more than a week?
    I had it for over a year. May I trash it?
    05-25-10 12:39 PM
    I had it for over a year. May I trash it?
    To each his own. I never owned an S1 but it is my understanding that the S2's surepress is improved. I know you didn't have an S2 for a year. I was very wary of the S1 when it came out and was immediately looking forward to the 2nd model with all the kinks worked out. A lot of people trashed the S1 for a lot of different reasons. I guess it just wasn't that great of a device. But it was the 1st edition so I expected that. IMO surepress is one of the best features on the S2. Typing on it is definitely different from the traditional BB but once I accepted that fact and adjusted, it's been smooth sailing. But, hey, it's not for everyone. What do I care if you trash it? I'm happy with it and that's all that really matters to me.
    05-25-10 12:55 PM
    I don't see how anyone can like surepress, but of course, everyone has their preferences. That clicking screen annoys the heck out of me when I am texting and emailing all the time. I would rather have it be just a touch screen like the iPhone. But thats just my opinion.
    Maybe BB isn't for you then because EVERY BB has keys that click, either through surepress or a physical QWERTY keyboard. That's what RIM was trying to emulate, the feel of the physical keyboard on a touchscreen.
    05-25-10 12:59 PM
    Well you guys can all point and laugh at me now. I didn't even realize this was the S1 forum. No wonder people are complaining about surepress lol. Get an S2!
    05-25-10 01:00 PM
    Surepress is one of the main features that make me hesitant to move for Android.

Yes, the Android software is far superior in almost every respect, but I love the clickscreen...frustrating if true.
    05-25-10 01:05 PM
    yeah love the SurePress feature of my S1. When I pay really close attention to how it works I can see what the bashers are getting at, but it really doesn't bother be except for one issue, and everything is fixed on the S2.
    05-25-10 01:23 PM
    I've had my S1 since december of 2008. Surepress is a great technology. I would probably go to a different phone if it weren't for it. Love the S1, and cannot wait for the S3, since my contract is up in december. As long as there's surepress...
    05-25-10 01:51 PM
    Maybe BB isn't for you then because EVERY BB has keys that click, either through surepress or a physical QWERTY keyboard. That's what RIM was trying to emulate, the feel of the physical keyboard on a touchscreen.
    BINGO! That is exactly my complaint with SurePress. I don't hate the SurePress experience, but I would much rather do without it. I don't see any value in it and really see it as just a gimmick for those folks that need to feel a "button" response.

SurePress just adds another element of what can go wrong, see all the click threads on S1 and the recall on S2. Plus dust under the cover, etc...

Also in the new slider demo with OS6, the demo'er showed one can type just fine on a BB without the screen having to "click".

=X=
    05-28-10 12:50 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD