**sorry, put this in the wrong forum initially....copying here

Ok, I'm 2 seconds away from taking this 99.9% wonderful phone back to the store. I love it but I absolutely can not text worth a shiz on this thing. Auto text pisses me off...I could've sworn I've turned everything auto-correcting off but it still corrects and suggests/replaces new words. Also, my fingers are not huge but they must be too flat or something. Every letter of a word I type is mispelled. I've tried everything... I hope someone here could give me some words of advice...good advice, lol! Because I'm packing it up as we speak to take it back. I've had a curve for a year and 1/2 and it's a texting super device, but I wanted something new and different. I just can't get the same functionality out of the Storm. I've had a headache every day since I've had this phone no lie...someone please keep me from commiting the worst crime...going for a Windows Mobile device....
    04-22-09 11:16 AM
    how long have you had the storm?? I took me about 2 weeks to get back to the txting speed i had on my Palm Centro (don't hate I just had to be reborn as a BB user). This phone has a learning curve. you have to be patient with it
    04-22-09 11:25 AM
    my settings are all maxed out...
    key tone: off
    key rate: fast
    portrait: suretype

Tap interval: 100
    Hover period:100
    swipe sensitivity: (high)6

btw you have too many phones. and winmo is more trouble than its worth. generally unstable, but more customization, not really worth the trade off IMO, unless you need winmo to run a particular app that is only on that platform.
    04-22-09 11:26 AM
    For my keyboard setting, I have the key rate set to "Normal", the toutch screen tap interval set to 100, the hover period set to 100, and the swipe sensitivity set to 6. Another way that I've been able to improve my typing is texting with the top meaty portion of my thumbs. This is all in suretype, and I type even slower in landscape. The thumb technique works even better for me while the phone is in landscape.

I've had a windows mobile phone and I agree with patches. Try sticking to one phone unless you absolutely need to have an additional one.
    04-22-09 11:28 AM

btw you have too many phones. and winmo is more trouble than its worth. generally unstable, but more customization, not really worth the trade off IMO, unless you need winmo to run a particular app that is only on that platform.

I have a bunch of phones because I work for RIM One phone is my BES phone for work (8820), the 8320 was my old phone I had with Tmo and the Storm is my upgade from the 8320 because I cancelled my TMO account and moved to VZ. So technically I just have 2 that I use. The curve is a paperweight because there's no service on it.
    04-22-09 11:29 AM
    Go to custom dictionary under options and add all your "omg's and WTF's". U can also hit the back key when the auto text word pops up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 11:33 AM
    ^^^
    +1 Terrible
    04-22-09 12:40 PM
    I had a very similar problem and what I did was "enable multitap" and it texts like a normal phone now.
    04-22-09 12:51 PM
    For my keyboard setting, I have the key rate set to "Normal", the toutch screen tap interval set to 100, the hover period set to 100, and the swipe sensitivity set to 6. Another way that I've been able to improve my typing is texting with the top meaty portion of my thumbs. This is all in suretype, and I type even slower in landscape. The thumb technique works even better for me while the phone is in landscape.

I've had a windows mobile phone and I agree with patches. Try sticking to one phone unless you absolutely need to have an additional one.
    Perfect settings and your cute too lol
    04-22-09 02:10 PM
    Sound to me you only had this phone for a day

it takes wk or so to get use to the key

another useful tip is, type with the center of your thumb, the center, not the side. Also stick your left thumb to the left side of the key, and same with the right thumb

yet another useful tip is fix the screen click, use those paper-in-back trick to get that perfect click, some screen are either too clicky or not clicky, you need to find that perfect balance, once you do, you'll get that fast click on your screen
    04-22-09 02:38 PM

I have the same settings as this, works great! I have my 9530 since Jan had the curve before. I type just as quick with the storm. (I even tyoe quicker then some friends that have the curve!!!)

Go to custom dictionary under options and add all your "omg's and WTF's". U can also hit the back key when the auto text word pops up.

This also helps out a lot.
    04-22-09 02:52 PM
    Options>sms text>disable auto text

04-22-09 03:03 PM
    The screen click issue is an easy one. Yes, the paper or business card in the back of the phone works. Also, if you have a torx #6 screwdriver just loosen the 2 screws in the back of your phone by a half turn or so. I did this and my screen works perfectly now..
    05-17-09 02:03 PM
    Are there a lot of super texters and emailers that have storms? Also the torx fix really does work great to get the perfect click

05-17-09 03:32 PM
    I have mine set the exact way it comes packaged. I text REALLY fast and accurate too. Just took a lil time to get accustomed to.
    05-17-09 04:25 PM

I have the same exact settings. Those really seem to maximize typing speed.
    05-17-09 04:28 PM
    100, 100, 6
    05-17-09 04:34 PM
    I have the same exact settings. Those really seem to maximize typing speed.
    Yeah I have the same settings on my phone. I text exclusively in landscape but if you want tips just set your settings like patches did and text with the tips of your thumbs. Also look at he keyboard while you text cause doing so can eliminate a lot of spelling errors.

05-17-09 06:53 PM

I use the same settings, but I switch between Landscape and SureType depending on whichever one I feel like typing with.
    05-17-09 07:13 PM
    This is the biggest thing about how to type accurately:

Do NOT try to type with your thumbNAILS, because it will not register there. Type with the bottom (fingerprint) part of your thumb on the opposite side as your fingernail. Treat it as though it were sensing heat instead of pressure before you press.

My guess is that you are:
    attempting to type G and getting F,
    attempting to type T and getting R,
    attempting to type R and getting E,
    attempting to type U and getting I,
    attempting to type Y and getting U, and
    attempting to type H and getting J.

If so, then what is happening is that you are targeting your touch with your thumbnail and actually touching the meaty part of your thumb to the key closer to the side edge. I think this is what user Ladybug1383 was referring to when she said to use the meaty part of your thumbs.
    05-17-09 07:19 PM
    100, 100, 6 are the ideal settings. I must say though, typing fast is a curse b/c then you have to deal with the lag of your OS. Not fun AT ALL!
    05-17-09 07:26 PM
    Left side of KB is for left thumb... And right side is for right thumb.
    Don't cross over, trying to hit the "t" with your right thumb does not work well.

My 2 cents

05-17-09 08:10 PM
    it take getting used to but it will come to you
    05-17-09 08:18 PM
    I agree with ^^^

Typing on the storm was the thing that disappointed me the most. But I've come to trust suretype - especially since it recall unique words I use often - and when necessary switch to QWERTY for specialized stuff. Took a couple of weeks and some faith, but I'd say I'm as fast as I ever was on my Q. Now don't get me started on the slow browser...
    05-17-09 08:28 PM

Perfect settings and your cute too lol
    +1

QFT (moreso the latter quote than anything else)
    05-17-09 09:04 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD