I'm just tossing this out there as a tip/reminder. Can't hurt, might even help

Computing boards teach this as second nature: when installing new software, OS (Windows) updates, etc., always turn off your antivirus program and firewall. If you want to be extra safe and have a spyware detection app running in the background, turn that off as well. It will generate a cleaner install.

AV and Firewall programs running in the background, particularly bundled suites from some manufacturers, don't always play nice with new software installs or upgrades. The result can render the new software unstable or cause malfunctions. Turning AV & FW off reduces conflict.

When using Desktop Mgr on your computer (especially for App Loader, Update Software or Backup/Restore) it can't hurt (and might actually help) to turn off your computer security software. When finished using DM, remember to immediately turn all your computer security back on.
    12-30-08 10:29 AM
    Incorrect information and suggestion in this post. I'm sorry if this offends you, but you're completely wrong about this. You should never have to turn off A/V or firewall while installing or even using software if the apps you use for A/V and Firewalling are intelligent enough not to interfear with the install process.

Some 3rd party utils like Spybot and others (if you're running the integrated realtime scanner) will prompt constantly for registry changes (that why you should not install the realtime scanner engine), which could cause problems if the user answers No to the change because they don't know any better.

Honestly, if you want FREE and RELIABLE A/V and Firewalling, use the XP SP2 or higher or Vista (any version) built in Firewalling capabilities and something like Avast for A/V. Very small footprints and they are very reliable. Install Spybot without the realtime engines running and use it only for scanning purposes. Perfect safe config of your system and you don't have to worry about prompts or other things getting in the way of your normal workload. And it's all free software as well so you're not paying money for inadequate software that causes you problems even if installed in its default state.

I really wish more 3rd party security companies would properly write software to not interfear with the normal workload on a system.
    12-30-08 11:45 AM
    All I did was add DM (and anything related) to my Whitelist.
    12-30-08 11:46 AM
    I'm not offended JRSCCivic98, as I happen to think you are wrong in your blanket pronouncement that I am completely wrong.
    Never say never about turning off AV and firewall during install, there are far too many variables involved from machine to machine.

(BTW, XPSP2 firewall only blocks Incoming traffic. And Vista's addition of Outbound coverage is less than stellar. So depending on OS, it either doesn't cover Outbound traffic at all, or has weaknesses. Either scenario leaves a gaping vulnerability.)

I will agree on the freebies. My favorite tech board touts the better ones. Sharp folks, I learned enough from them to build my current machine, and so am very protective of it. Have no qualms at all using certain ones, as they are better quality than some of the milk-toasty retail stuff kicking around out there. Personally have never paid for AV or firewall, and in ten years have had only one serious Virus slip through (currently running AVG, ZA, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster).

At any rate, my suggestion was harmless enough and if done will not bring the house tumbling down. If ignored, it will not bring the house tumbling down. Just might make it a smoother ride.
    12-30-08 01:15 PM
    I never turn mine off (webroot firewall, anti-spy, anti-vi) unless an installation program (that I trust of course) actually requests it. Have never had any problems, but then I've got a few hours in behind the computer "wheel."
    12-30-08 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD