Here is an email I sent to RIM about a minor suggestion I had about the phone app on the Storm. [email protected] Anyone else agree?

Greetings,

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding the Blackberry Storm phone OS software.

This has to do with the contacts view and the phone application, and the "Call which number?" pop-up.

I've noticed that there are two types of ways to view the contacts list. One is the normal default, what I call the "Find" contacts view, and the other is the "Call" contacts view. As you know, when you are viewing the contacts list from the phone application you can bring up the BB menu and switch to "Call from contacts" view, as opposed to the default, "Find" contacts view. The difference between the two, of course, is that in the "Find" contacts view, clicking on the contact brings up that contacts entry. In the "Call" contacts view, clicking on the contact initiates a phone call (or brings up the "Call which number?" pop-up)
    In my opinion, when you are in the phone call app, or even in the normal contacts list for that matter, the "Call" contacts view would be the most efficient and intuitive view to default to, since you are there to make a call anyway.

Many people have 100's if not 1000's of contacts in their contacts list, so the only way to find someone to call is to, Step #1, enter the contacts list, Step #2, pull up the keyboard, Step #3, start typing the name, Step #4 find (highlight) the name... (this is where my suggestion comes in) At this point, once you find the name you're looking for in the contacts list, the intuitive and easiest thing to do is click on the name, this is a touch/click phone, however doing this doesn't initiate the call, or bring up the nice large easy to read, easy to click-on "Call which number?" pop-up screen. Instead, it brings up the contacts entry view, which requires 2 more clicks to get the call made, and worse, using the standard much smaller menu to pick the correct number.
    I know that at step #4, once you've highlighted the contact, you can click the green call button to initial the call or bring up that nice larger "Call which number?" pop-up screen, but like I said, it's way more intuitive to just click on the name, this is a touch/click phone after all, and clicking the name doesn't require you to move your finger, you have to highlight the correct contact anyway, you should just be able to click on it to make the call.

The reason I say this is that, in my case at least, 90% of the time I enter the contacts list, especially from the phone application, I am probably going there to make a call, not view the contacts entry. Of course viewing the contacts entry is still an important factor, this could easily be a menu entry.

The long and short of it is, I think there should be an option for the user to choose which type of view they would prefer to see when they pull up the contacts list, either the "Find" view or the "Call" view.
    Or put another way, when I click on a contact, I find it much more useful for the call to be initiated, not to view the contact entry. Especially when I'm in the phone application.

This is what I envision:

Phone app:
    "Contacts" view should be the "Call from contacts" view, not the "Find" contacts view.
    Reason: Clicking on the contact should call the contact, or bring up the "Call which number?" pop-up, not bring up the contacts entry.

Home Screen:
    User should have an option of which type of view they prefer, the "Call from contacts" view or the current default, "Find" contacts view.
    - In the BB menu options you could still always have "View Contact"
    Reason: This is a touch/click screen phone, when you click on a contact you should get the large easy to read and click on pop-up, allowing you to Call, Email, SMS, MMS, etc. instead of entering the contacts entry view.

Thank you very much for your time and your work and effort on this phone, it is absolutely fantastic!
    12-13-08 11:01 PM
    This is a good idea. Let me add this to the potential fixes in a new OS:

I just upgraded to the blackberry storm (9530) from my prior RAZR V3m. It paired without difficulity to the Motorola Bluetooth IHF1000 that I have installed in my car. The IHF1000's internal contact list and voice dialing ("dial #") worked fine. When I use the command "Phone Voice Tag" the IHF1000 responds correctly with "Phone Voice Tag Please", however blackberry's response ("Say a command") does not come through the IHF1000/car speaker system. I can hear it from the phone's speaker in my belt holster (barely) but no longer through the car system itself (as with the RAZR). If I follow the usual voice prompts from the phone (I have to talk to the phone - the car's microphone is not active at this point) and confirm the voice tag, it dials correctly and then I can talk as usual through the car system. The problem is that I usually can't hear the phone in it's holster. What is interesting is that the BB is clearly communicating with the Motorola system... if I change the ringtones on the phone they even come through the car's speaker changed as well. The only time it does not appear to communicate is with the first part of the hands free voice dialing. I have changed every setting I could and even updated OS .65 -> .75 without results. Apparently the same problem occurs with some of the Parrot car kits as well. If you could address this in the next OS upgrade it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    12-14-08 01:24 AM
    Here is an email I sent to RIM about a minor suggestion I had about the phone app on the Storm. [email protected] Anyone else agree?

Greetings,

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding the Blackberry Storm phone OS software.

This has to do with the contacts view and the phone application, and the "Call which number?" pop-up.

I've noticed that there are two types of ways to view the contacts list. One is the normal default, what I call the "Find" contacts view, and the other is the "Call" contacts view. As you know, when you are viewing the contacts list from the phone application you can bring up the BB menu and switch to "Call from contacts" view, as opposed to the default, "Find" contacts view. The difference between the two, of course, is that in the "Find" contacts view, clicking on the contact brings up that contacts entry. In the "Call" contacts view, clicking on the contact initiates a phone call (or brings up the "Call which number?" pop-up)
    In my opinion, when you are in the phone call app, or even in the normal contacts list for that matter, the "Call" contacts view would be the most efficient and intuitive view to default to, since you are there to make a call anyway.

Many people have 100's if not 1000's of contacts in their contacts list, so the only way to find someone to call is to, Step #1, enter the contacts list, Step #2, pull up the keyboard, Step #3, start typing the name, Step #4 find (highlight) the name... (this is where my suggestion comes in) At this point, once you find the name you're looking for in the contacts list, the intuitive and easiest thing to do is click on the name, this is a touch/click phone, however doing this doesn't initiate the call, or bring up the nice large easy to read, easy to click-on "Call which number?" pop-up screen. Instead, it brings up the contacts entry view, which requires 2 more clicks to get the call made, and worse, using the standard much smaller menu to pick the correct number.
    I know that at step #4, once you've highlighted the contact, you can click the green call button to initial the call or bring up that nice larger "Call which number?" pop-up screen, but like I said, it's way more intuitive to just click on the name, this is a touch/click phone after all, and clicking the name doesn't require you to move your finger, you have to highlight the correct contact anyway, you should just be able to click on it to make the call.

The reason I say this is that, in my case at least, 90% of the time I enter the contacts list, especially from the phone application, I am probably going there to make a call, not view the contacts entry. Of course viewing the contacts entry is still an important factor, this could easily be a menu entry.

The long and short of it is, I think there should be an option for the user to choose which type of view they would prefer to see when they pull up the contacts list, either the "Find" view or the "Call" view.
    Or put another way, when I click on a contact, I find it much more useful for the call to be initiated, not to view the contact entry. Especially when I'm in the phone application.

This is what I envision:

Phone app:
    "Contacts" view should be the "Call from contacts" view, not the "Find" contacts view.
    Reason: Clicking on the contact should call the contact, or bring up the "Call which number?" pop-up, not bring up the contacts entry.

Home Screen:
    User should have an option of which type of view they prefer, the "Call from contacts" view or the current default, "Find" contacts view.
    - In the BB menu options you could still always have "View Contact"
    Reason: This is a touch/click screen phone, when you click on a contact you should get the large easy to read and click on pop-up, allowing you to Call, Email, SMS, MMS, etc. instead of entering the contacts entry view.

Thank you very much for your time and your work and effort on this phone, it is absolutely fantastic!

i disagree completely..

if I go to the phone app to get to contacts.. I intend on calling them.. so that view would be nice in there..

However if I go to the regular contacts bit I dont want it to give me a immediate

so putting it default on that for both is not good.. I agree in the call app im more then likely trying to call someone.. but the regular contact app I may just be looking up a email or address or clicking to get the address in bb maps..

I dont want it default to that..

also why do you guys keep saying you have to pull up the keyboard..

if you click the text field the keyboard pops out automatically..

why is that such a problem? you get to see the entire screen then if you want to type click the text entry field the keyboard pops up...

whats that take a max of .1 seconds?

is it really that hard of a step?

but to make them both default to the call is not good sorry.. this is a BB used for email sms mms pin calling getting directions... i dont want the phone to always assume I want to call someone.. from the phone app fine cause I am going to make a call but from regular contacts it should be just like a pc..

however I just typed this to prove a point.. some people may want that but hardcore business users would probably never want that..

so the real answer is.. make the default a option in both apps.. that would solve it..

the truth is I didn't get a blackberry to have a phone i got a blackberry to have a communication device.. I email,sms,mms,and use maps way more then I talk on the phone with it.. I have a low minute plan cause I never use the minutes but if you saw how many messages go in and out of my device..
    Last edited by noaim; 12-14-08 at 01:45 AM.
    12-14-08 01:38 AM
    Make sure you add the "cheek mutes call when phone is shouldered" issue to the list! tell them to work around the retardedly abesent proximity sensor.
    12-14-08 01:39 AM
    i disagree completely..

if I go to the phone app to get to contacts.. I intend on calling them.. so that view would be nice in there..

However if I go to the regular contacts bit I dont want it to give me a immediate

so putting it default on that for both is not good.. I agree in the call app im more then likely trying to call someone.. but the regular contact app I may just be looking up a email or address or clicking to get the address in bb maps..

I dont want it default to that..

also why do you guys keep saying you have to pull up the keyboard..

if you click the text field the keyboard pops out automatically..

why is that such a problem? you get to see the entire screen then if you want to type click the text entry field the keyboard pops up...

whats that take a max of .1 seconds?

is it really that hard of a step?

but to make them both default to the call is not good sorry.. this is a BB used for email sms mms pin calling getting directions... i dont want the phone to always assume I want to call someone.. from the phone app fine cause I am going to make a call but from regular contacts it should be just like a pc..

however I just typed this to prove a point.. some people may want that but hardcore business users would probably never want that..

so the real answer is.. make the default a option in both apps.. that would solve it..

the truth is I didn't get a blackberry to have a phone i got a blackberry to have a communication device.. I email,sms,mms,and use maps way more then I talk on the phone with it.. I have a low minute plan cause I never use the minutes but if you saw how many messages go in and out of my device..
    agreed on all points.

i would like the "what number do you want to call" menu to pop up when i select them in phone app, but not in just regular contacts.

but this should be configurable either way by options. i think the BB OS lacks configurability in many ways. dont force people to do something, let them set it in options... like the missing option to show bes mail seperate.

i also agree about just clicking in the search box, no need to swipe up the keyboard (which is only 30% effective on first try). clicking in the search box is 90% effective on first try.
    12-14-08 02:02 AM
    I just go to my contacts, highlight who I want to call, and hit the magical green button...
    12-14-08 02:03 AM
    agreed on all points.

i would like the "what number do you want to call" menu to pop up when i select them in phone app, but not in just regular contacts.

but this should be configurable either way by options. i think the BB OS lacks configurability in many ways. dont force people to do something, let them set it in options... like the missing option to show bes mail seperate.

i also agree about just clicking in the search box, no need to swipe up the keyboard (which is only 30% effective on first try). clicking in the search box is 90% effective on first try.
    and 100% if you set it as a side convenience key

but i will also agree with you both. its good to have a choice of what to do, not force fed a default option.

and i think from everything we've read in these last few weeks that is the point.
    reading complaints about the phone gets tiring to those of us who are looking for a solution...but it is truly helpful when it can constructively be formatted into an email and sent to RIM so they can add into future updates. and THAT'S what benefits us all.

so hopefully at this point everyone is sending an email to RIM.
    12-14-08 02:15 AM
    This is a great idea I've wanted to send an email to RIM with suggestions for improvements. But this thread gives me an idea why not collect a great amount of fellow Crackberry storm users and make lets try and come out with a list of suggestions to what we would like to see in future updates. (even if RIM would be hesitant to they should at least give more options to tweeking our storm to are liking)

This this list we make someone should send it to RIM and hopefully the would listen.
    12-14-08 02:47 AM
    how bout mentioning the need for quality control on their actual phones... click problems, dead pixels, buttons falling off, dust under the screen within a day... Seriously, these issues need to be addressed first and foremost. Software can be changed down the line. Crappy hardware cant be fixed OTA.
    12-14-08 03:08 AM
    ps. i sent rim an email an got a response back from someone saying they were forwarding it to the right person. i decided to focus on the muting a call while shouldering the phone issue because it had happened to me 10 times that day (i had to shoulder the phone alot) and figured one issue would get their attention more than 10 different ones.
    12-14-08 03:29 AM
    why not collect a great amount of fellow Crackberry storm users and make lets try and come out with a list of suggestions to what we would like to see in future updates.
    good point...i have actually seen quite a bit of good ideas from several threads. i am trying to come up with a master list of the most popular complaints. (not getting crazy with too many so they will actually listen)
    i already sent one regarding civics point with app memory. but i would love to have a master one we could all saturate rim's inbox with.
    i think they would atleast consider the most popular ones

This this list we make someone should send it to RIM and hopefully the would listen.
    only if everyone did it though. it can't be one person IMO
    Last edited by neolantis; 12-14-08 at 03:39 AM.
    12-14-08 03:37 AM
    I'd rather be able to T9 dial a contacts name and have it figure out who I mean't to call like my windows mobile phone (and many dumb phones I've owned) would do.

I also agree that if I'm in contacts in the phone view I want the call from contacts but if I pull up the contacts from the contacts application I want the nice easy to view all information mode.

If I could have that AND the ability to T9 a contact from the phone pad I'd be a happy camper in that regard.
    12-14-08 03:42 AM

only if everyone did it though. it can't be one person IMO
    well maybe we can come up with a list and have someone with good credibility send the email to RIM *ahem* Kevin and maybe with that email have a link to the thread.
    12-14-08 04:29 AM
    The one thing I would add to this something that I loved if not the only thing I loved about my MotoQ was that when I went into my call log i could just push to the left or right of the name listed to scroll through the phone numbers. So lets say I called contact 1 and contact 1 I have his cell his home his work and his second number.... So I go to call his house and find he is not there. I can just push (swipe) to the left or right to see his cell number and call it. Instead of needing to go back in search and then select his cell and call. And if this phone does that can someone let me in on the secret to how to do this....
    12-14-08 05:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD