Is the storm compatible with a stylus?

Can anyone recommend a nice one?
    12-17-08 09:10 PM
    It is not a resistive touch screen. It requires actually touching the device with your fingers.
    12-17-08 09:12 PM
    i dont think the storm was meant for a stylus brother. its a touch screen yes but a touch screen that you must press in. i think that the stylus would only make the numbers or letters only highlight whatever your chosing....i think, but I also think it wont work
    12-17-08 09:13 PM
    It is not a resistive touch screen. It requires actually touching the device with your fingers.
    i thought so too, you would only scratch the living crap out the screen.
    12-17-08 09:13 PM
    I tried using the screen with my cloth and it didn't register at all. I think you actually have to use your finger!
    12-17-08 09:14 PM
    Actually, you can't use a stylus no matter what. The Storm, like the iphone, needs your actually fingers to touch it to react. Even if you push the screen down and click it, if your fingers aren't touching it, nothing will happen. So, you wouldn't beable to do anything with a stylus...
    12-17-08 09:15 PM
    I am not opposed to using my fingers, but you cannot use the storm with gloves on, which is what got me thinking.

There is a product called Pogo Stylus Pen, which seems to be marketed towards the iPhone right now.

In my opinion, there is no reason why this would not work, as it is beefy enough to press down on the screen.
    12-17-08 09:20 PM
    They do make styluses that work for the iPhone--I'd assume it would work on a Storm. A regular old stylus definately won't work, though.

Edit: Looks like bottoj beat me to it.
    12-17-08 09:22 PM
    I am not opposed to using my fingers, but you cannot use the storm with gloves on, which is what got me thinking.

There is a product called Pogo Stylus Pen, which seems to be marketed towards the iPhone right now.

In my opinion, there is no reason why this would not work, as it is beefy enough to press down on the screen.
    That would probably work, but it seems kinda annoying and slow..
    I live in Los Angeles, so no gloves here lol, its not cold.
    12-17-08 09:24 PM
    As long as the storm screen is indeed electro-sensitive, it should work?
    12-17-08 09:24 PM
    Acutally there is a stylus that was designed for the iphone and will work on the storm. It is called the "Pogo stylus." It is more like a mini pen and has a a soft tip that resembles compressed foam on it. I got one to give as a stocking stuffer. I tested it on my Storm with a Ghost Armor screen protector. The Pogo stylus works...OK.... It requires a fair amount more pressure (but still not quite a click) to get the screen to register the position. Then you push and get the screen click. I don't know if it would work any better without the screen protector.
    It is by no means an improvement over using your finger. On a bitter cold day, however, it would sure as heck beat having to take off your gloves. So it depends on what your wants/expectations are. Oh, and it is not cheap - around $15-20.

edit: wow I type slow - 4 responses before mine....oh well, at least I can say I tried it and it DOES work, just not as well as my fingertip.
    12-17-08 09:25 PM

I guess they created a stylus for capactive touch screens.
    12-17-08 09:25 PM
    I have tried the Pogo Stylus for the iPhone on the Storm. Does not work correctly. Sometimes you can get it to highlight, but is inconsistent. Not worth the effort, in my opinion. Waste of $5 if it didn't work on my iPod Touch. I'm hoping to ditch that too, soon.
    12-17-08 09:46 PM
    I don't think a stylus would work at all, it would be a real pain typing on it, unless they came out with a way to type without clicking the screen.
    12-17-08 09:54 PM
    you could always cut your pinky finger off and duct tape it to a popsicle stick works fine for me!

sorry for the bad photoshopping lol
    01-06-09 12:10 PM
    don't forget that the Storm registers the heat from your fingers. This is why nothing happens with gloves on. You would need a stylus that put out some heat for it to register.
    01-06-09 12:17 PM
    don't forget that the Storm registers the heat from your fingers. This is why nothing happens with gloves on. You would need a stylus that put out some heat for it to register.
    yes, I noticed this the first time I tried it. I kept trying to use my nails and nothing. I had to actually put my finger on it for it to register a touch.
    01-06-09 12:26 PM
    you could always cut your pinky finger off and duct tape it to a popsicle stick works fine for me!

sorry for the bad photoshopping lol
    Ahahaha .... stylus is an out-dated thing.
    01-06-09 12:28 PM
    The device senses heat which is why people have a problem with the phone turning on the mute or speakerphone when they have it up to their cheek.
    01-06-09 01:21 PM
    That must be the finger of a 110 year old woman
    01-06-09 01:27 PM
    That would probably work, but it seems kinda annoying and slow..
    I live in Los Angeles, so no gloves here lol, its not cold.
    wutchoo talkin bout willis? I woke up this morning and it was 49 degrees.
    01-06-09 01:28 PM
    I guess maybe a stylus would help with copy/pasting.
    01-06-09 01:29 PM
    Capacitive screens work more on the change of the electrical charge that's constantly being sent through the screen, rather than the heat of a person's finger. The finger acts as a conduit for that electrical charge, which causes the changes in the charge at certain coordinates which corresponds to where your finger is in contact with the screen. So, its not like you could just heat up a stylus and go. It's more about the nature of the human flesh to conduct electricity
    01-06-09 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD