Okay... so I finally decided to try MSN Messenger on my Blackberry Storm. Then I remembered something about instant messages counting towards your text message limit years ago.

So I called VZW and asked whether if I use MSN Messenger on my BB, does each message count as a TEXT MESSAGE (I have unlimited IN-Messaging and 50 Out-of-Carrier messages for $5 per month)? Then since MSN Messenger is sent to an email address and not a number, how do you determine whether it's IN-Messaging or out of carrier message?

I was told this. Because you're using your data portion to use MSN messenger, you're not being charged per instant message sent through MSN Messenger.

I wanted to confirm so I hung up and called again. Got a different rep as usual, and this rep told me other wise. Each instant message that I send using the MSN Messenger client is still counted as a text message and they will be counted as out-of-carrier messaging.

So as soon as I heard that, I was in a middle of conversation with a friend bragging about how nice the Storm is, I exited out of MSN Messenger.

Can somebody please confirm whether each message sent and received through MSN Messenger is counted towards your text messaging plan?

Then how about BB Messenger?
    03-27-09 03:00 PM
    data. On dumb phones without the smart phones' required data plans, it would count as text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 03:04 PM
    Nope, MSN Messenger is covered under your data plan, BB Messenger also.
    03-27-09 03:04 PM
    That's what I thought.. Stupid rep. Should have written down his name and employee #.

03-27-09 03:07 PM
    yep data = covered
    03-27-09 03:19 PM
    Data. Someone on here once said something about not understanding why this is cause for confusion, but it's totally understandable since dumb phones count it as texts.
    03-27-09 03:22 PM
    I use MSN Messenger , Yahoo, and AIM, the stock clients that came on the storm (yeah yeah I know... I'm holding out for BeeJive to release for the storm ) and none of them get billed as sms.
    03-27-09 03:24 PM
    Im a Verizon Wireless Agent and a BB Storm user and everyone is correct that Instant Messenger uses your data plan on the Storm. Text messages only apply on a regular phone using instant messenger. Chat away. You are safe..
    03-27-09 03:27 PM
    Thank you all for clearing that up.
    03-27-09 03:38 PM
    That's what I thought.. Stupid rep. Should have written down his name and employee #.

You should have..reps like that get the rest of us in trouble and we are all always having to clear up huge bill and account messes..always good to check with your fellow BB folks..hehe..
    03-27-09 03:45 PM
    I lost you after "Stupid VZW reps".....................lol
    My eyes tend to read the important stuff only.
    03-27-09 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD