I don't know what I'm doing wrong but even after a fresh battery pull I go into my memory and it says 35MB. I am running .99 w/ no 3rd party apps. Shouldn't I have more? Is it because I'm running in black and white and not color?
    02-03-09 03:54 PM
    Well, that happens on what you have loaded. You'll find that people with 50+MB of memory aren't running VZNav, VVM, Help and deleted Sample Images on their devices.
    02-03-09 04:30 PM
    I don't run VZNav, or VVM.. Good idea to delete sample images though. Is there a big difference between 35 and 50?
    02-03-09 04:31 PM
    Also, if you don't clear your browser cache, it'll fill up app memory as well. Make sure nothing is saved to the internal app memory (i.e. no pics/ringers). Also, keep in mind that send or received MMSs (with pic attachments) can take up a lot of memory as well. What I do is save the pics to my memory card if I want to keep them and then delete the MMSs.
    02-03-09 05:36 PM
    How did people get rid of the sample images? I haven't been able to get rid of those.
    02-03-09 05:37 PM
    the easiest is to use crackmem on the software before loading it onto your phone
    02-03-09 05:42 PM
    Also, if you don't clear your browser cache, it'll fill up app memory as well. Make sure nothing is saved to the internal app memory (i.e. no pics/ringers). Also, keep in mind that send or received MMSs (with pic attachments) can take up a lot of memory as well. What I do is save the pics to my memory card if I want to keep them and then delete the MMSs.
    That's the only thing I can think of is the pictures I have saved on my phone. I'll have to move them to the card and report back because I am at 35MB even after a fresh batt pull. Does that not clear the cache?
    02-03-09 05:47 PM
    I don't get it though. I could understand if your unit was freezing and you have problems because of a lack of available memory. People get way too caught up in numbers.

I have been around 35 MB since the upgrade as well but things have been (knock on wood) very smooth so I really don't care.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    02-03-09 05:48 PM
    That's the only thing I can think of is the pictures I have saved on my phone. I'll have to move them to the card and report back because I am at 35MB even after a fresh batt pull. Does that not clear the cache?
    No, it doesn't. You must go into the Browser and hit Menu/Options and the Cache. Click all the buttons and then back out with ESC to trigger the clear. Then Menu/Close.
    02-03-09 05:52 PM
    I don't get it though. I could understand if your unit was freezing and you have problems because of a lack of available memory. People get way too caught up in numbers.

I have been around 35 MB since the upgrade as well but things have been (knock on wood) very smooth so I really don't care.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    It's not broke, but why can't you make average -- better? I still get lag when changing between pictures, or changing screens.. if I can free up 10MB and get that to go away why wouldn't i?
    02-03-09 06:13 PM
    I can free up 10MB and get that to go away why wouldn't i?
    Are you sure those things go hand in hand? Maybe the "lag" is inherent in the OS we have.

All I am saying is that numbers aren't everything. 35MB is a lot. I would be concerned if it started at 35 and went down to 17 after 2 hours or something like that. Ya know?
    02-03-09 06:21 PM
    Sorry for the newbish question, but why do the sample pictures take up RAM?
    02-03-09 06:31 PM
    LOL, he think 35MB is a lot. ha

And Sample pics don't take up RAM, they take up FLASH (App memory), of which there's only a total of 128MB of which the OS must take some as well, not to mention all apps you install want to have also have to fit on this same limited amout of memory which for some stupid reason RIM thought was enough.
    02-03-09 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD