Can people provide real-world and/or empirical data on which version has the stronger radio?
    05-08-10 08:28 AM
    Relatively the same for me, although I'm getting 3bars with 591 in the same spot I usually have 2bars on 491...smokers spot at work!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 09:05 AM
    I get more "bars" on 591 but I seem to drop the signal more often. I wonder if there's a relationship between the number of bars and battery life. Working harder to pull a signal results in using more battery.

05-08-10 10:19 AM
    Can people provide real-world and/or empirical data on which version has the stronger radio?
    I'm not concerned with bars. I'm concerned with performance. And I can tell you without a doubt that .591 performance blows away the performance of .419.

With .419 I had major problems and frustrations in my work lunchroom and in my church basement, both for data and voice.

WIth .591, those aren't even problem areas for me anymore.

The only tradeoff is battery consumption, but I still get a solid day to day and a half without a problem. In other words, the increased battery consumption isn't that bad and it certainly is better for me to use a little more battery and have way more reliability of service.
    05-08-10 10:35 AM
    I agree with everyone else, .591 does seem to have a better radio and it does seem to go through a bit more battery. My apartment is a bit of a bunker, and when walking around during a call I would occasionally drop the call with .419, so far I haven't dropped any calls at home or anywhere else with .591 ... Just my experience though, you also have to live with .591's bugs however which can start to **** you off. (the BBM groups keyboard issue, the loss of menu on the call log screen)
    05-08-10 10:54 AM
    My question was based on experience: 591 is dropping calls at an alarming rate.

My wife has a very early-build Storm1, and while the initial 4.7 (and 5.0) builds had their share of issues, none dropped more than one call a month.

591 drops about 2-3 calls a day.

I wonder if this is what's holding up a Verizon update from 320...
    05-13-10 10:07 AM
    I'm on GSM/Edge network and .591 has better signal strength than .419
    ****! Now my calls hold up even inside elevators!

Last edited by Cazurela; 05-13-10 at 07:04 PM.
    05-13-10 10:48 AM
    My question was based on experience: 591 is dropping calls at an alarming rate.

My wife has a very early-build Storm1, and while the initial 4.7 (and 5.0) builds had their share of issues, none dropped more than one call a month.

591 drops about 2-3 calls a day.

I wonder if this is what's holding up a Verizon update from 320...
    I'd suggest a PRL update before anything else. *228 send, option 2.

See if that changes anything. There may be a tower problem near you and a PRL update may help you avoid that.

2-3 calls a day is way excessive. Heck, even 1 a month would be a lot. even on .419 weaker radio I didn't have dropped calls that frequently unless I was in a known problem area. which, if you read my previous post, you'll see that .591 makes those prior problem area reliable now.
    05-13-10 05:33 PM
    No question that .591 (669 Hybrid v2 (607/591-Based) by lyricidal) has a better radio!!!

Have not had one dropped call in the two weeks I've been running it - one or two dropped calls a week was normal. And I have reception everywhere in my house now, before I had to stand by a window or even go outside.

Battery life is a little lower, but seems to have settled down after a couple of week. The first couple of days the phone would die after eight hours... forgot to plug it in last night and I still have two bars left on my battery.

But there does seem to be a memory leak, either in the OS or one of my apps (that worked fine on .419). But I would rather have shorter battery life and have to reboot my phone daily, than to drop calls and have to stand by the window in one room of my house or go outside to make calls....
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 05-19-10 at 03:55 PM.
    05-18-10 12:02 PM
    i see no difference between .591 and .419 in signal or performance wise. The only thing i can actually notice is the battery life in which .591 sucks.
    05-18-10 06:49 PM
    i see no difference between .591 and .419 in signal or performance wise. The only thing i can actually notice is the battery life in which .591 sucks.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. I'm considering going back to .419 because of the battery drain is much faster with .591.
    05-19-10 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD