Error loading an article record: jav.io.EOFException

I don't know what it means and I don't want to unistall WSJ Mobile Reader because I have it all customized the way I like it. Any info would be great.

By the way, long time crackberry abuser, first time poster. Thanks in advance for any help.
    04-06-09 04:09 PM
    First, let me say that the WSJ reader is absolutely awesome. I use it all the time. I first encountered this problem shortly after I installed the app for the first time. Uninstalling and reinstalling it fixed the issue. (Note: you must manually uninstall it, reboot your device, and then reinstall it. Simply installing a new copy on top of the existing one doesn't help). Like you though, I was annoyed that I had to reconfigure every time I went through this process.

After a lot of investigation, I've determined that there are several possible causes for this error - all of which are a result of poor mobile application design.

1) You received a phone call while the reader was attempting to download an article. When this happens, the network you are on sends an interrupt request on the data stream, which most applications capture and interpret as "stop trying to download data". Immediately after the interrupt request, the data stream stops and the phone call is sent to the phone. This mobile reader doesn't handle this event properly and throws an error while trying to read the article. You don't see the error happen, because you are on the phone screen at the time the error happens. When you come back to the reader though, the error is there.

2) Similar to above, you may also receive a phone call during one of the automatic refreshes that occur inside the reader. Since it's running in the background, you don't see the error until you open the reader. (Note: I have observed one case where the EOF exception showed up on the home screen as well, which I thought was impossible)

3) Similar to both items above, interference with the data stream itself (possibly from other data driven applications on the device) may also cause this problem, especially if you are on a GSM network.

Anyway, the solution is pretty simple. You may have tried clicking "ok" and it doesn't seem to work. It's working though. The problem is that there is not just one error, there are several (dozens or event hundreds depending on how many articles were being downloaded). I generally configure my reader to download only a small number of articles so that this error message doesn't have me clicking OK 200 times. Just keep clicking ok. You'll probably see some different error messages along the way as well, but just keep clicking okay. Eventually, you will get rid of the error.

Once it's gone, I recommend doing a soft reset on the device (remove the battery for a few seconds), just to make sure things are cleared up.
    05-28-09 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD