As weird as this might sound, I think this phone/battery has a mind of it's own. I've been plugging my phones (many different phones, mostly dumbphones) in at night for years. Every once in a while, I would forget to plug my phone in, it would die and I could charge it during the day and have the same discharge rate (not actually measure but I wouldn't notice a difference) as usual.

This phone is different.

If I forget to plug this phone in at night and I plug it in in the morning and charge it up, I will get a ridiculously HUGE discharge rate. Normal discharge rate is anywhere from 2-5%/hr. If I forget to plug it in at night and start to charge in the morning it will be anywhere from 11-30% and I will have to keep it on a charger the whole day. Once I get home and charge it through the night like usual it will be right back to normal the next day.

It has happened to me a few times with this phone so I know I'm not going crazy. The first time I thought it was just me, but after 6-7 times of the same phenomenon, I know it isn't.

ReAlLy WeiRD

Anyone else experience anything similar?
    04-28-10 08:33 PM
    Something similar here, but I kind of figure its like filling up your gas tank......even though it says "Full" it has a little more in it....as in I drive 50 miles before the tank needle moves. If I leave my BB on charge all night, I get about 5% an hour. If I charge it at work and take it off as soon as it it says its fully charged, I average 8-10%. Interesting.....
    04-28-10 09:49 PM

You and me both buddy. I really hope someone fills the answers for us. My phone's brand new.
    04-29-10 02:58 AM
    As weird as this might sound, I think this phone/battery has a mind of it's own. I've been plugging my phones (many different phones, mostly dumbphones) in at night for years. Every once in a while, I would forget to plug my phone in, it would die and I could charge it during the day and have the same discharge rate (not actually measure but I wouldn't notice a difference) as usual.

This phone is different.

If I forget to plug this phone in at night and I plug it in in the morning and charge it up, I will get a ridiculously HUGE discharge rate. Normal discharge rate is anywhere from 2-5%/hr. If I forget to plug it in at night and start to charge in the morning it will be anywhere from 11-30% and I will have to keep it on a charger the whole day. Once I get home and charge it through the night like usual it will be right back to normal the next day.

It has happened to me a few times with this phone so I know I'm not going crazy. The first time I thought it was just me, but after 6-7 times of the same phenomenon, I know it isn't.

ReAlLy WeiRD

Anyone else experience anything similar?
    Yes, I replace it with 9700, i give up in one week
    04-29-10 04:01 AM
    I think what is going on has more to do with how batteries charge rather than phone. Mose new technology batteries charge fast for the first part (fast charge) up to about 80-90%. Then the remaining charges at a lower rate. I can't remember exactly how it works. But I think during the fast part volts are brought up quickly But the second part reduces its rate to bring up the amps which affects longevity. that's why it tends to warm up during the first part and cools during the second.

There is lots of info regarding batteries and how they charge and use the charged power in the remote control car/airplane world. They are using batteries with more technology than phones. However conditioning oh batteries is a vital to overall performance tuning.

Again I'm speaking form what I can remember. Longer it stays on charger the higher the probability that it just completed the full charge process

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-29-10 04:08 AM
    I think that when it says that it's full it really isn't. It is still trickling. Charge it at night and it'll get a full charge. But if you charge it at work and it hits a hundred it really hasn't hit it yet. I know. It's strange. But I've seen it many times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 04:19 AM
    I think what is going on has more to do with how batteries charge rather than phone. Mose new technology batteries charge fast for the first part (fast charge) up to about 80-90%. Then the remaining charges at a lower rate. I can't remember exactly how it works. But I think during the fast part volts are brought up quickly But the second part reduces its rate to bring up the amps which affects longevity. that's why it tends to warm up during the first part and cools during the second.

There is lots of info regarding batteries and how they charge and use the charged power in the remote control car/airplane world. They are using batteries with more technology than phones. However conditioning oh batteries is a vital to overall performance tuning.

Again I'm speaking form what I can remember. Longer it stays on charger the higher the probability that it just completed the full charge process

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Got ya! That makes a lot of sense.
    04-29-10 11:08 AM
    I've also noticed that my battery lasts longer when I don't have it restart every night. I had it so meterberry would reset the phone at night when it was charging. Then the phone would have 1.3% discharge rate minimum, but mostly 2.5% and this is leaving in my purse with the radio off because I know there is no reception in the locker. I recently started not having it reset, and after a couple of days it seems like the discharge rate is getting better. On day 8, the discharge was 0.3% when I had it in my locker. Makes me not want to reset my phone when I delete an app.
    04-29-10 05:35 PM
    There is no reason to have this phone reset at night. The memory management is 10000x better on this phone than the S1. With the S1 I would have to worry about memory and resetting the phone every so often. With the S2, there is no need to. Mostly the only time I reset my phone now is when I uninstall an app.
    04-29-10 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD