Hey everyone. I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on whether they believe that one day the blackberry storm will become a prominent gaming device.

We all remember iphone's beginnings, before their app store opened, before their product was any good... and it's now the storms turn.

'I' personally believe that yes, one day the blackberry storm WILL have very fun and graphics intensive games (and applications) -- but it will take time.

What does everyone else think?
    02-17-09 07:54 PM
    It will NOT be a prominent gaming device because of RIM's limitations on the device (one channel for sound (can't play more than one sound at a time), etc.).

I do think there will be some very nice games though. As long as the developers push the limits of the phone, there will always be something great (and unexpected) to come from the device.
    02-17-09 07:56 PM
    one channel for sound (can't play more than one sound at a time), etc.).
    Yeah, I only heard about that more recently. What a surprise from RIM, forgetting to fix that extremely horrific limitation.
    02-17-09 08:00 PM
    i agree 100% with jcqns the devide is to limited. with sounds and having weird things with the gps and all sorts of little things ie .75 needing special treatment. the operating system needs some development before anything really big hits. it also needs more app memory
    02-17-09 08:01 PM
    I believe the biggest thing RIM should think about is allowing apps to be installed to either the internal memory (the 1 GB) or expandable memory (the microSD card).

I understand that it is a security limitation but by doing so they will not go the same route that Palm did (outdated device, outdated methods).
    02-17-09 08:03 PM
    It will NOT be a prominent gaming device because of RIM's limitations on the device (one channel for sound (can't play more than one sound at a time), etc.).

Excuse my non technical savvyness with sound, but couldn't you just put all the sound through that one channel, therefore it'd work like a mono speaker...
    02-17-09 09:19 PM
    Excuse my non technical savvyness with sound, but couldn't you just put all the sound through that one channel, therefore it'd work like a mono speaker...
    Nope you can only play 1 sound at a time.

you either have to stop the first sound or wait for it to finish to play a second one.
    02-17-09 09:22 PM

you either have to stop the first sound or wait for it to finish to play a second one.
    Why in **** was it made 1 channel? They do almost everything for this phone and they limit you to just one sound at a time... what crap!
    02-17-09 09:31 PM

Why in **** was it made 1 channel? They do almost everything for this phone and they limit you to just one sound at a time... what crap!
    02-17-09 09:32 PM
    Yep it sucks. Not only in games but everything.

If you want to listen to an m3 while playing a simple game it will mute your mp3 everytime a sound is played. The 1 audio channel really is a problem with it comes to gaming.
    02-17-09 09:35 PM
    I think word mole is where it will stop, hahahah Sweet game though
    02-17-09 09:35 PM
    Wow talk about some archaic limits...

That sucks I guess! But there must be some way to get around it.. if possible at all
    02-17-09 09:51 PM
    anyone know if the 1 sound "feature" is something that can be remedied in a later os release? ... or is it hardware restrictive?
    02-17-09 10:10 PM
    anyone know if the 1 sound "feature" is something that can be remedied in a later os release? ... or is it hardware restrictive?
    I am praying that this is going to be fixed with a later os release. Would be great news if this can be confirmed.... otherwise
    02-17-09 10:29 PM
    From what I know, it is hardware related and only to CDMA BBs (Verizon, Sprint).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 10:55 PM
    Well, from what I have found with developing my own game, it is very very frustrating. For instance: In order to add menuitems into the bb menu button, you have to make the app use the BB API, which is not accessible from within a midlet. But on the flip side, if you use a midlet, you can use sprites(collision dectection, tiled layers,etc. ), but not if you use the BB APIs.

So you HAVE to decide the trade off..

I think there will be some ok games, but no where near what the iPhone has. Not to mention, not only did RIM gimp the sound, but I'm pretty sure the processor the storm has, has a GPU processor built into it, but it has been disabled.
    02-18-09 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD