Just curious of the one's who bought their Storms after January 2009. With the newer Storms, are you noticing a decrease in the reported hardware problems that are discussed in here? Wondering if Rim is producing a better quality product as they continue to make the Storm? The gaps in the screen, dust under the screen, problems with the clickable screen and so on? I know the software bugs will take time to work those out, but what about the hardware? I'm thinking of the possibility of purchasing a Storm, but not with the problems listed above. I would imagine Rim would and should be trying to fix the hardware problems going forward when they produce more units?
    01-05-09 11:03 AM
  2. gwhitteker@bell.blackberry.net's Avatar
    I bought mine on January 2nd and have none of the issues. Very happy so far with the phone.
    01-05-09 11:08 AM
    Manufactured in Mexico on Christmas Eve. Better clicking performance than previous 2 (Mfg 11/12/08 - Canada & 12/17/08 - Mexico). Have not experienced dust under screen or major gaps with any of the phones. I returned my 1st Storm because it would not read the SIM card and returned the 2nd because it was fried by a "Cellet" brand charger purchased from OrionGadgets. I got a brand new replacement at a retail store on Friday and it is working GREAT!

OrionGadgets has authorrized a return of the wall & car charger package that I bought so - all is well!
    01-05-09 11:14 AM
    I purchased mine on the afternoon of December 24, 2008 in Calgary, Alberta. Its working great, no issues thus far, except maybe my own incompetence for the next wee bit, while I figure my first BB out.
    01-05-09 11:28 AM
    I bought a storm the 26th of december and returned it the 29th or 30th of december do to a Terrible camera. The new phone had much less screen wobble. Odiously takes better pictures and i feel like overall it runs better then my other phone did (note to both phones i added facebook myspace and ESPN apps, and deleted VZ Navigator) Thats the only difference i noticed
    01-05-09 11:34 AM
    Got mine yesterday Jan 4th. .75 OS, manufactured 12/23/08 in Mexico.

Had a few freeze-ups, but it may have been from my inexperience!
    Touchscreen is a whole other animal to learn - yikes!
    But having fun with it so far!!
    01-05-09 11:36 AM
    I got mine the day after X-Mas and have good luck w it from what I have read. I am new to the whole BB thing and gettin addicted . Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 12:07 PM
    My main problem is the dust. I want to know if they fixed this problem and if there is less and less of these being reported.
    01-05-09 12:16 PM
    got mine on the second of jan and just a few freeze ups also used my berry for 14 hours yesterday with heavy browsing youtube and Icing the whole time and the battery was still only yellow

01-05-09 12:25 PM
    My main problem is the dust. I want to know if they fixed this problem and if there is less and less of these being reported.
    No one is going to be able to tell you if they "fixed the problem". I'm sure the manufacturing procedures are the same now as they have been since the beginning. There is certainly not a "new" version of the phone being manufactured right now.

If you're having issues at all your best bet is to request a replacement before 1/15 comes and your 30 day guarantee runs out. Worst case is your new one comes, you decide which one you think works better and send back the other one. Won't cost you a dollar.
    01-05-09 12:34 PM
    After January 2009? This should have been posted in February, lol
    01-05-09 12:39 PM
    No one is going to be able to tell you if they "fixed the problem". I'm sure the manufacturing procedures are the same now as they have been since the beginning. There is certainly not a "new" version of the phone being manufactured right now.

If you're having issues at all your best bet is to request a replacement before 1/15 comes and your 30 day guarantee runs out. Worst case is your new one comes, you decide which one you think works better and send back the other one. Won't cost you a dollar.
    I dont expect a "new" version but an improvement in the process of building the phones and QC (quality control)
    01-05-09 12:51 PM
    I bought mine on January 2nd and have none of the issues. Very happy so far with the phone.
    Same here.
    01-05-09 12:52 PM
    I dont expect a "new" version but an improvement in the process of building the phones and QC (quality control)
    I think the best you can do is hope you get a good one. I'm sure QC improves every day with production, but you're gonna get the same "build" as you have now.....that said it does seem as though people who have received their phones recently are generally happier with the hardware....there's just no guarantee.

Like I said. Go for it. If the replacement comes and you're not happy with it send it back and try again.
    01-05-09 12:54 PM
    Lol, you take your chances like we all did. That what happens when your a early adapter. Rim will work out the kinks. If you want a rock solid unit get the curve. I've used a curve for a little over a year and had not had a single issue with it. I didn't have many issues with my storm, I just didn't like the touch screen.

01-05-09 01:03 PM
    Got mine on the 26th of December and haven't had any of the problems others have .. any problems I have are just bugs in the os.
    01-05-09 01:18 PM
    I purchased my Storm 12/07/2008 at a local Verizon store. I just went in today to ask about an extension to turn back my phone and he said I have a couple days. He didn't know of an extension to Jan. 15th. Where is this information at? Thanks
    01-05-09 01:30 PM
    Just bought my wife a Storm on 1/3/09, no reported problems so far.....
    01-05-09 01:39 PM
    it doesnt matter when they were made, its all luck.

mine is made begining of novemember, hardware is currently perfect.

click is great, no mods needed.
    buttons are great
    gap is hardly there
    01-05-09 01:41 PM
    I purchased my Storm 12/07/2008 at a local Verizon store. I just went in today to ask about an extension to turn back my phone and he said I have a couple days. He didn't know of an extension to Jan. 15th. Where is this information at? Thanks
    the worryfree guarantee in accordance to equipment (which is 30 days from the purchase date) is not extended by the holidays. only thing extended was you can cancel the line/return the phone for a refund until the 15th as opposed to the usual 30 days.
    01-05-09 01:43 PM
    Mine shipped to me on 12/15. No issues. Love it.
    01-05-09 01:46 PM
    everywhere. Some of those store people are either really clueless or liars (or both)

I just received a replacement and it says 1/15 for any phones bought between 11/16 and 12/15 right on the receipt in bold letters.
    01-05-09 01:46 PM
    the worryfree guarantee in accordance to equipment (which is 30 days from the purchase date) is not extended by the holidays. only thing extended was you can cancel the line/return the phone for a refund until the 15th as opposed to the usual 30 days.
    Quote from my VZW receipt....."All purchases made between November 16 and December 15, 2008 may be returned or exchanged until January 15, 2009
    01-05-09 01:50 PM
    Lol, you take your chances like we all did. That what happens when your a early adapter. Rim will work out the kinks. If you want a rock solid unit get the curve. I've used a curve for a little over a year and had not had a single issue with it. I didn't have many issues with my storm, I just didn't like the touch screen.

I agree that we are early adopters and that we should deal with such penalties as faulty software, MAYBE hardware. BUT, whenever there is a huge fault with a product you normally have a recall or the company helps those early adopters. We shouldn't have to put up with dust issues, screen click issues, on such a phone, early adopter or not.
    01-05-09 01:53 PM
    I agree that we are early adopters and that we should deal with such penalties as faulty software, MAYBE hardware. BUT, whenever there is a huge fault with a product you normally have a recall or the company helps those early adopters. We shouldn't have to put up with dust issues, screen click issues, on such a phone, early adopter or not.
    And you don't. Get a replacement. Get another replacement if you need to. Get as many as you want until you're happy with the device.
    01-05-09 01:56 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD